Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Well, I don't know about you guys but roll and build sounds a lot more appealing than roll and write.

It sounds much better to me as well. Roll and place a plastic church. What's not to like? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Well, I don't know about you guys but roll and build sounds a lot more appealing than roll and write.

Looking at the picture, and without delving any deeper, it looks like exactly the same concept but with Milton Bradley plastic rather than a pad of paper and a pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

Looking at the picture, and without delving any deeper, it looks like exactly the same concept but with Milton Bradley plastic rather than a pad of paper and a pen.

It says it is a successor to Roll Through The Ages (you can see the wooden pegs in the background). Without having played that, I suppose they added a tangible equivalent of your progress: you move the peg forward, and you get to see what you built. It may be low quality minis, but still, in my eyes it looks much more appealing than drawing lines on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

It says it is a successor to Roll Through The Ages (you can see the wooden pegs in the background).

One of the few roll & writes I have played (see, I was doing it before it was cool!). To me, the pegs added nothing to the game.

I'm beginning to regret my original comment here. I don't mean to belittle anybody interested in this game or any other R&W game. It's genuinely a good thing that I'm not remotely tempted by so many of the new games, it means I get to delve into my existing collection more and spend less money - both of which are very good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:

One of the few roll & writes I have played (see, I was doing it before it was cool!). To me, the pegs added nothing to the game.

I'm beginning to regret my original comment here. I don't mean to belittle anybody interested in this game or any other R&W game. It's genuinely a good thing that I'm not remotely tempted by so many of the new games, it means I get to delve into my existing collection more and spend less money both of which are very good things.

You didn't belittle anyone! We only say our opinion. I strongly dislike Roll and Write's. It doesn't mean that I despise those who play them. Please feel free to state your preferences as the rest of us do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Laczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
Just saw this on Tony Boydell's blog. (He arranged so that when you click on the title, it takes you to Cash Trap laugh)

From the Portal Games press release:
Quote:
Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write has two game modes. The Standard mode is a 2-4 player competitive challenge in which you try to gain more points than your opponent. The Adventure mode for a single player will offer 48 unique game sheets. Each sheet will present unique challenges and gameplay, as players will have different buildings at the start. Tweak your engine and get as many points as you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikolajl wrote:
omega_player wrote:
Just saw this on Tony Boydell's blog. (He arranged so that when you click on the title, it takes you to Cash Trap laugh)

From the Portal Games press release:
Quote:
Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write has two game modes. The Standard mode is a 2-4 player competitive challenge in which you try to gain more points than your opponent. The Adventure mode for a single player will offer 48 unique game sheets. Each sheet will present unique challenges and gameplay, as players will have different buildings at the start. Tweak your engine and get as many points as you can!

This has my OFFICIAL attention now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, according to Eric Martin's post on the main page, Coffee Roaster has been picked up by dlp games, and will be released in May in German (English edition to follow). It has a new look too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilijus Daubaras
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
So, according to Eric Martin's post on the main page, Coffee Roaster has been picked up by dlp games, and will be released in May in German (English edition to follow). It has a new look too.

Wow, this is a great news! Finaly will get this game (without shipping it from japan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Premium" solo game?

I don't like the new look. I'm not a cartoony artwork person, but I'm even less of a "generic Instagram stuff". This is a very bland new graphic treatment. Also the board looks impractical.
Is it a PnP? The components look paper-thin.

Good thing that a highly sought-after game finally gets a wider release. It's not worth its current price, but as a $25 game it's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
"Premium" solo game?

I don't like the new look. I'm not a cartoony artwork person, but I'm even less of a "generic Instagram stuff". This is a very bland new graphic treatment. Also the board looks impractical.

Good thing that a highly sought-after game finally gets a wider release. It's not worth its current price, but as a $25 game it's okay.

I agree about the looks, the original has much more personality than this. They have 'westernized' it, and made it look like a generic coffee advertisement. I'm not sure if I would enjoy the game itself, but I'd rather get the Japanese version, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the coffee stain rings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
I agree about the looks, the original has much more personality than this. They have 'westernized' it, and made it look like a generic coffee advertisement. I'm not sure if I would enjoy the game itself, but I'd rather get the Japanese version, if possible.

It is enjoyable. Set-up is a bit long, but otherwise there is a good decision-space, some push your luck, some "combo" shenanigans, a timer of sorts, luck of the draw of course, culling, priorities, and all, it's interesting. It's a nice filler, I like it, though I don't play it very often.

You can trump the "beat your score" by saying you're aiming for a perfect instead, as you can maximize points by collecting sets of coffee strength, having the right roasting score (too high is bad, too low is bad), and also having all the flavor tokens.

It's a relaxing exercize in itself, somehow. I still manage to get angry when playing it though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
"Premium" solo game?

Totally agree, Raz. I'm glad I have the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most misleading pointer of 2019, so far? I just noticed that Catan: Big Box is listed as 1-6 players... because (I assume), it contains Catan Dice Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Wizkids I'm assuming straight retail for Nemo Rising: Robur the Conqueror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Because Wizkids I'm assuming straight retail for Nemo Rising: Robur the Conqueror

Curiosity piqued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Curiosity piqued.

Can it be better than Nemo's War? Because that one peaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Nemo's War and didn't like. This looks interesting enough to subscribe to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbus wrote:
I backed Nemo's War and didn't like. This looks interesting enough to subscribe to it.

Here's to hoping you find this one more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Robbus wrote:

Yeah, I should've known better when I backed it. I read so many great thing about it, but in the end it's a roll-to-resolve game and that is a game mechanism I'm not fond of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
omega_player wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

Curiosity piqued.

Can it be better than Nemo's War? Because that one peaked.

I expect it to be totally different. More in line with other, family-style co-ops. But let's see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbus wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Robbus wrote:

Yeah, I should've known better when I backed it. I read so many great thing about it, but in the end it's a roll-to-resolve game and that is a game mechanism I'm not fond of.

Well it's a game with a terrific player growth but it's also very time-consuming so if you're not into it it's not worth it for sure.

I'm still on training wheels after a good 15 games cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two more soloable games can be added to this list: the 1-2 player version of Snowdonia called Foothills, and a game in the Oh my Goods! universe (Newdale) that is 'story-based and features a solo mode'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
omega_player wrote:
Thanks to

Congratulations on designing two games in one night Dejun!

You did didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [16] |