Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I play face to face every week. (here's the story of our first 100 games: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1478808/1-x-100-twilight-st...). We now have 300+ games under our belt.

In addition to the Crisis Card Variant, for the last 50+ games we've been using an "Initiative Card" that we developed. You can get it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/174882/initiative-card

It's a minor variant that adds another interesting decision to the game.

The card allows the holder a single re-roll of one of their own die rolls. They must use that second roll. After use, the card is passed face down to the opponent. Similar to the China card, it stays face down until the next turn, when it then becomes available to the opponent.

Should you use it on a roll of a 2 on a coup? Save it to make Brush War a near sure thing? Make sure you're not caught in Quagmire? Win the Indo-Pakistan War? But then if you do any of those, your opponent gets the card.

We enjoy. I guess it gives a slight boost to the US, but since we don't use the extra influence variant, that's good for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Initiative Card
I like the idea. It's very limited compared to the Combat Commander initiative, where the card passes immediately in usable form, and can be used for either your or your opponent's rolls. I'd even be willing to try it in that more powerful form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wilbur
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this idea enough to make a prettier card for it. Here are two versions, one for "your rolls" and one for "any rolls":

I changed the name to something more thematic and added an image from the Battle of Incheon. (The USSR had rolled a 6 on the Korean War until the US decided to intervene at Incheon.)

I also added +1 VP during Endgame Scoring so there's a harder decision about whether to use it on Turn 10. (keep it for guaranteed VP or spend it on a low-probability Brush War to hopefully flip domination?) Of course, I just discovered this variant this morning, so if anyone who has actually played with it wants to argue with me about this change, I'm listening.

The image is 2.75" by 3.75" at 300dpi, as is required for most custom card printing services to print a 2.5" by 3.5" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Seems like a fun card and I like that it forces some very difficult decisions. I don't think it would work as well in online play as it would otb. In online, there'd have to be a prompt asking the cardholder after every single die roll if he wants to use the card, and that would slow the game down and might get annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryBlatbugIII wrote:
I liked this idea enough to make a prettier card for it. Here are two versions, one for "your rolls" and one for "any rolls":

I changed the name to something more thematic and added an image from the Battle of Incheon. (The USSR had rolled a 6 on the Korean War until the US decided to intervene at Incheon.)

I also added +1 VP during Endgame Scoring so there's a harder decision about whether to use it on Turn 10. (keep it for guaranteed VP or spend it on a low-probability Brush War to hopefully flip domination?) Of course, I just discovered this variant this morning, so if anyone who has actually played with it wants to argue with me about this change, I'm listening.

The image is 2.75" by 3.75" at 300dpi, as is required for most custom card printing services to print a 2.5" by 3.5" card.

Nice graphic! I wonder if you should add the "pass face down" part to it.

I'll talk to my buddy, maybe we'll add the +1 VP part to it.

We've used the card for 88 games now. Like the China Card sometimes it moves back and forth a lot, sometimes hardly at all. One of it's most powerful uses is to save you from a bad Quagmire/Bear Trap roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wilbur
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fredact wrote:

I considered it, but I wanted to keep the wording consistent with The China Card, which also doesn't state that it's passed face-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryBlatbugIII wrote:
fredact wrote:

I considered it, but I wanted to keep the wording consistent with The China Card, which also doesn't state that it's passed face-down.

Oh right, of course. By the way, we have instituted the +1 VP for the guy that has it at the end.

We use the "only reroll your own die" version by the way. We had originally discussed the other, but opted against it, as no where else in TS can the opponent intervene in your turn, and we didn't think we wanted to add that with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting card.

The subject line of this thread is a bit misleading, which may have resulted in lower than expected responses. Clicking on the thread, I was expecting a card that literally changed which player took the first AR on a given turn.

I think Intervention works well. And it helps to address one of my two pet peeves with this game: too much disruption if a player hits wonky dice rolls.

The other big problem, mechanically, for me is even worse than the dice rolls. The game is way too luck-dependent on randomized OP values. So if you draw a hand full of low OPs, you're at a huge disadvantage... and your opponent probably drew a hand of higher OPs because you removed so many of the low OP cards from the draw deck.

I'm not sure how to handle this. Maybe an FFG-style deck-stacking exercise at the start of each War Period could work? Or separate decks by OP value, with drawing player choosing one deck and then following player forced to draw from the same deck or lower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YassWaddah wrote:
This is a very interesting card.

The subject line of this thread is a bit misleading, which may have resulted in lower than expected responses. Clicking on the thread, I was expecting a card that literally changed which player took the first AR on a given turn.

I think Intervention works well. And it helps to address one of my two pet peeves with this game: too much disruption if a player hits wonky dice rolls.

The other big problem, mechanically, for me is even worse than the dice rolls. The game is way too luck-dependent on randomized OP values. So if you draw a hand full of low OPs, you're at a huge disadvantage... and your opponent probably drew a hand of higher OPs because you removed so many of the low OP cards from the draw deck.

I'm not sure how to handle this. Maybe an FFG-style deck-stacking exercise at the start of each War Period could work? Or separate decks by OP value, with drawing player choosing one deck and then following player forced to draw from the same deck or lower?

Good point about the name of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
YassWaddah wrote:

Same here, only clicked it now.
It seems like a really good addition to try out, I will print one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls