Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
OK, the most recent comment I can find about a reprint for this game is gossip of a Kickstarter campaign....October 2019.

What is the latest news? Kickstarter? Standard release? Pre-order directly from the publisher?
WHEN?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If everything goes to the plan, end of June for the Kickstarter and Essen for release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Calendar marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very good news. Anyone interested in gaming the Pacific War who does not own the first edition, do not miss this opportunity.

A brilliant design, beautifully executed and a pleasure to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand the Zen aesthetic, but I was never a fan of the pink counters with a chrysanthemum as the Japanese symbol. Hope they change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like very much the graphic art in Fire in the Sky, including the colors and symbols chosen for the contendants: chrysanthemum, eagle and lion. Of course, this is a matter of taste.

I suppose that being a new edition (and not just a reprint), the aspect of the game will change. What is important is that this wonderful game will be available again for those who are interested on it.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
I understand the Zen aesthetic, but I was never a fan of the pink counters with a chrysanthemum as the Japanese symbol.

Nor the clouds floating over the Pacific that obscured the islands and confused the scene.

Nor giant 1-inch counters and teeny, tiny fonts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First I hope they do make the graphic design better and more clear.

Second I hope they fix a few rules to improve the game (if there is such place for improvement (I only played the game once))

Third, I hope there are rules to play solo. Like most pacific games, it seems Japan is more active in the first half of the game, and America is more active in the last half of the game. So solo play could be possible by switching sides.

Fourth, hope the game is not too expansive.

--------------------------------------

If it's a reprint, do they create a new BGG item, or simply add a new version to this item. If I don't want to miss the kickstarter, I could subscribe to this game item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you do subscribe, you won't miss this, we will make sure to advertise here.

Solo play - interesting idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I left a lot of comments on this game in my rating. Which makes me believe that a lot of rule changes would actually help. Still, from what I listed, it seemed to be possible to change the rules without having to change the components. Good thing.

It's hard to get a good pacific war game that is not too long, not too complicated and not too fidly. The only games I found so far is this game, and "Pacific Victory" which ...

wait a minute ... there is a 2nd edition of "Pacific Victory"? Oh! I am surprised. I am wondering which game it should be worth getting, if any.

Most of my experience with WW2 pacific game comes from SNES PTO, PTO2 video game. I have yet found a board game that gives the same experience. So it's hard to judge which game I would prefer most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attention! Chat lunatique!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
So it's hard to judge which game I would prefer most.

Submitted for your perusal: My Pacific Theater WWII Odyssey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have myself searched for a good pacific game. It seems that your list is a bit more up to date.

"Pacific Tide" Looks interesting. It feels like Twilight Struggle in the pacific which could be interesting. It could be a way to abstract forces like TS does.

Else, the pacific theater has always been problematic due to the various type of units and warfare involved. If it was only ships, it would be less an issue.

Else one thing that I dislike in war game is when they are too much historical by pre-planning your unit production for you. I understand that it simplifies the game, but sometimes it's fun to plan production and even technology investments like in PTO SNES game.

The other thing that I dislike is when they use tiny chits with small grid hex map. Makes the game too long, complex and fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the new edition have a mounted map board? If not, it is a non-Starter for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.