Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
Microbadge: Dan Verssen Games fanMicrobadge: The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 fanMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: B-17: Queen of the Skies fan
I just looked at my shelf and noticed that I never opened my copy of Battlelore? I've played lots of Memoir '44 and it's always fun. Maybe because it's on a high self, I've never pulled that one to play. I read the rules, years ago, and know that while it is the same system, it is different in a few key areas. Now many of my game groups have gone their separate ways (children, jobs, moving, etc).... So should I pull this out and play it or just sell a sealed copy?

Lately I've switched to solitaire games like Hornet Leader (great game), Struggle for the Galactic Thrown, The Hunters (great game), Phantom Leader Deluxe (great game), and Hornet Leader (setup, but haven't played yet).

I have a small local game convention this weekend, so what are your thoughts?

thanks!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Oktoberfest!Microbadge: Worms fanMicrobadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer weinerMicrobadge: Then everyone would be in love with me!
It isn’t really selling for a high price, surprisingly. It should though with all the components.

Open it and play it! You’re not really devaluing it.

It is one of my favorite games. If you don’t like it, send it to me as a backup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Miniatures GamerMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Battlestations fan
I would say definitely play it. It's a great game that will always stand the test of time.

Like mandingoman said, the resale value of a sealed copy is not much off from an open one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very interesting. As a matter of fact I'm stopping by a convention in MD this weekend to pick up a second copy of the base Battlelore game that I bought through BGG. Unfortunately I'll just be there long enough to pick up the game and not to play any games.

I have a lot of interest in the medieval period and asked for and received a copy for Christmas. I had been waiting patiently for GMT's C&C Medieval. But at the slow pace it's made its way into production I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see enough expansions to get to the later medieval period that is of most interest to me!

I'm sure C&C Medieval will have more depth than BL but with the scenarios provided in the base game + expansions, and with some help from history books, I should be able to simulate just about any battle of interest using BL. As an added bonus the relative simplicity of the game plus the fantasy / magic options has even drawn my wife into playing. On top of all that Battlelore is great fun to play.

Probably more information than you care about but my biased answer is keep it and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: BASKETmind fanMicrobadge: Big*Bang fanMicrobadge: Tetrarchia fanMicrobadge: Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War fan
EasyPickens wrote:
Lately I've switched to solitaire games ...
I find that C&C games play very well as solitaire, by playing both sides you see the battle unfold in front of you, instead of trying to solve a puzzle. So maybe give it a try? It's always good to have a solitaire that can hold more players if the occasion appears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2019 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
BattleLore has a surprising depth as a Commands & Colors game, and can play from a very simple game into some pretty hard rules areas.

The main question in my mind is do you want to play 2 player games? I wouldn't rate BL highly as a solitaire game, it is a 2 player game where you could be both players.

If you have opponents for M'44, I'd give them a try at BL, which is a far better game IMHO. Start with just the Command Cards, and you can play it just that way, a Medieval version of Ancients. Would appeal to kids in the same way M'44 does.

If you get into BL, there are the War Councils & Lore cards, the different armies and the Creatures. Eventually Heroes. There is a number of layers of complexity to the base game, and extra levels in the expansions.

BL 1st ed is a solid game, one I still play after 10 years, and one that is possibly the most complex of the C&C game rule sets. But whether it works for you is something I think you can only find out by experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: U.S. National Parks fanMicrobadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Texas A&M UniversityMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fan
External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bell
United Kingdom
Ludlow
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Definitely open it and play it
I recently bought a sealed perfect copy on eBay which only cost me £19
Due to the great number and quality of the parts the pleasure you will get from unboxing this game has got to be worth more than that play a couple of games and you will be glad you kept it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: West Ham United FC fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Penguins fanMicrobadge: " I play a Les Paul"
I've enjoyed every game of Battlelore I've played. It's definitely worth opening. I've also played solo - though it's definitely not a solitaire game.

My two biggest knocks against it are the amount of setup vs game time and that goblins/dwarves are not balanced. However, it's still always been a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls