Carlo Peng
msg tools
Say a character is carrying the Book of Scripture and triggers an event that would heal their sanity.

What exactly should happen?

a. Sanity is set back to starting value (so technically it would drop below starting level if the book of scripture is somehow taken away)
b. Sanity is set to one above the starting value (it would make more sense but it is very likely that the player wouldn't remember setting it this way during actual gameplay)

I can see a good argument from both side, and I don't believe it is mentioned anywhere in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Healing a trait sets it to its starting value, but only if it’s below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When you heal a trait ...
- if you are below starting (green) value fir that trait, you recover back to starting (green) value
- if you are already at , or above, the start (green) value for that trait then nothing happens.

That’s (paraphrased) from rulebook p 7.

That said, if you have an item that increases a stat, it is no different... it does not let you heal one above or anything like that.

If you want to use up a bunch of actions, you could theoretically drop the item that boosts your stat, then heal , then pick up the item which would net you a higher than starting value. But some items have effects or results when you drop them other than just stat loss. And it assumes you have the actions and it assumes you know before you get healed so that you can drop the item before the healing action gets triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Peng
msg tools
Yea that makes sense. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WellI would be careful dropping that item. Once you drop it you will probably have to lower your trait by 1. If you are critical then you just killed your self. It is fine if you are not critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shen
msg tools
I thought that if you are not in a haunt, your traits cannot go below critical. So if you are already critical and you drop the item, you stay critical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a specific rule to prevent abusing that rule, though. You can’t choose to do something that you know would cause you to take damage to a critical trait before the haunt.

I don’t have a citation handy, but it’s in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Super Zero wrote:
There is a specific rule to prevent abusing that rule, though. You can’t choose to do something that you know would cause you to take damage to a critical trait before the haunt.

I don’t have a citation handy, but it’s in there.

That is different. The rule you are talking about applies to paying costs to gain benefits. In this case the effects happen at different times and that rule isn't going to apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.