Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From: ( http://www.swjournal.com/index.php?publication=southwest&sec... )

- - - - - - - -

48TH & NICOLLET

A new game and hobby store called Tower Games opened Sept. 1 at 4807 Nicollet Ave.

John Redmann, a former employee of Phoenix Games at 901 W. Lake St., is the store’s founder. Phoenix Games closed and moved its business online at the end of August because of increasing operating costs and assessments from Lake Street construction. It was a big loss for area gamers and Redmann said he wanted to keep that community together.

“Phoenix Games had supported gamers in the area for 20 years and I wasn’t prepared to see this group splinter,” he said.

Tower Games will offer many of the same items stocked at Phoenix Games: tabletop miniature games, Euro-style board games, role-playing games and hobby supplies, Redmann said. The store will also allow in-store gaming, which was a big part of the culture at Phoenix Games.

The 1,650-square-foot store is open Monday-Friday from 11 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sunday from noon-5 p.m.

A grand opening for Tower Games is planned for Sept. 29. For more information call 823-4477 or e-mail towergames@gmail.com.

- - - - - - - -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty good news. I'm happy that Phoenix has a physical store again/still, but Deephaven is hard for me to get to, not having a car.

This is much closer, and I'll be sure to check them out.

Although after Phoenix's closing sale, I have a rather large amount of games, and a rather small amount of moneys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I live in South Minneapolis and work in West St. Paul so that part of town is fairly convenient.

I am hoping a self-sustaining game night will get started there like there was at Phoenix.

I had talked to the owner about it before he opened the store and he expressed an interest but the details still need to be worked out.

At Phoenix, it was 1st & 3rd Tuesdays going from about 6:30 - 9:00.

I see the new store closes at 8 but at Phoenix, the owner let people play after closing. I did not ask the owner of Tower whether he was open to that or not.

I assume that the bread & butter of this store will be CCG/Ms like most stores so we probably have to work around what nights that crowd is gaming, but does anyone have any suggestions about night and hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow..that location is pretty close to where i live. please post if you find out about doing a gamenight there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Minneapolis store: Tower Games (Grand Opening info)
I found out the following info for Tower Games' Grand Opening:

Tower Games will be having a grand opening on Saturday, Sept. 29 from 10:00 pm - 8:00 pm:

- Door prizes
- Hot dogs
- 10% off everything in the store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Thompson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb