Subject: Roleplaying game without GM for 7+ yo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We love gaming and while we usually play board and dice games, my kids seem to love fantasy roleplaying games like Hero Kids. While this is great, I am not much of a game master and would rather like to play with them, but struggle to find a good game which ticks the boxes. Any recommendation for games like Sword & Sorcery or other fantasy games, which can ideally be played (semi) co-operative, have a focus on player characters (build your hero) and can be played with kids 8/10+?

It doesn't have to have miniatures and can be simple. But needs to be fun

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Spiller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious choices seem to be Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables, but they are more focused in story than on character building. Nonetheless i strongly recommend both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
spllr wrote:
The obvious choices seem to be Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables, but they are more focused in story than on character building. Nonetheless i strongly recommend both of them.

I second these. Additionally, if the focus is on storytelling, a great Gmless game is Untold: Adventures Await.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
United Kingdom
Clitheroe
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the box says 14+ but the rules aren’t too complicated and the game does a really good job of introducing them gradually:

Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mice and Mystics
Munchkin (just remove the cards Stoned Golem and Sneaky B Sword)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spllr wrote:

Thanks!
M&M indeed is a great choice. We already have it, but I will check Stuffed Fables as well.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ariochRN wrote:
I know the box says 14+ but the rules aren’t too complicated and the game does a really good job of introducing them gradually:

Legends of Andor

Good call. The game is waiting to be played, sounds like now is a good time to do so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should really purchaseDO Pilgrims , it is an RPG with no DM, and players write stories together.
You are young monks in training and your missions is to help out people (from whom you receive letters-scenarios).

As the story develops, you and the other players may have to hinder each other through the story, but never in a nasty way.

Check out the play by forums for the game to see the creative ways players get themselves and each other's in and of trouble.

Highly highly recommended. Also great with adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have kids at about the same age as yours, perhaps just a bit younger. We've played a lot of board games with them and we are transitioning some into rpgs, gming a game is kind of like telling a good story, but with giving them some openings for decisions. Gm-less play rpgs are out there, but it means that your kids would bear more of the storytelling and other gm responsibilities.

As far as board games that provide a good story, there is the already mentioned Mice & Mystics and Stuffed Fables. Mice & Mystics can be pretty long sessions, and Stuffed Fables seems strange to me (creepy dollhead monsters for one). I do think that Legends of Andor works pretty well. Also, the D&D Adventure Board Game System Games are pretty enjoyable (Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardon, Castle Ravenloft, etc) and are co-op. Robit Riddle is a relatively new one that might work for you and I've played Above & Below with a 9-year-old. Though I like Escape the Dark Castle, it may or may not be ok with your kiddos depending on their tolerance for creepy stuff...same for Choose your own adventure House of Danger. For short games, my kids and I have enjoyed the Jump Ship and Stowaway 52 as good, travel-sized adventures. Some of the Escape Room type games might work for you to cooperately solve, like Escape the Room Secret at the Stargazer's Manor.

I do wish there were more games that fit this age-group...most story-based games have adult themes or skills (otherwise I would recommend Arabian Nights or SMERSH or Legacy of Dragonholt or TIME Stories) or feature death (Chronicles of Crime, Sherlock Holmes). They may work for you, but I'd check them out first yourself, as the best judge for your children is you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I forgot a good one.
My kiddos really enjoy the Fall of Magic, which is a storygame where you unroll a scroll gradually and create a story together. It is a cool experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.