Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Russell
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of any triva games that are balanced for Kids and Parents so can play together but without the need for seperate questions?

Im looking for a game that has some interesting gameplay that allows me to play with my son so that when a question is asked, he feels like he could answer the question. Even if its taking a guess or muliple choice.

any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
America might be a good one!

EDIT: just realized you're not from the U.S. so maybe Fauna or Terra instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beat the Parents is another option, though the gameplay is pretty terrible--the questions themselves are OK though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Trivial Pursuit: Junior may be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers Family is worth checking out. The answers are all numbers, and you get points both for getting the closest (Price Is Right style I think) and for voting for the right answer after the players have written down their answers. BGG users rate it for kids ages 6 years and older
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xixstar .
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another vote for Wits and Wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your son? Depending on age the following could work:

Cardline Animals - you only have to guess whether an animal is bigger or smaller (or have longer or shorter lives if you play that variant) than other animals in the line. Don't need to know names, numbers, dates, or anything like that.

Braintopia - not strictly trivia but it's a trivia-like game. Our 8 year old is very competitive in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the Timeline games, I have found Timeline: Inventions levels the playing field best. Those are hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are You Dumber Than a Box of Rocks? is my favorite silly trivia game. The answer to every question is 0, 1, or 2, which means that you have a 1/3 chance to guess the right answer. It also comes with two "rocks" that you shake up in the box - which will also "answer" the question with a 0, 1, or 2.

Camp is a game of outdoor-related triva (patterned after trivial pursuit). Each question card has 4 levels of difficulty built in. So a kid can play with adults, answering related questions at an appropriate knowledge level.

The Parent Quiz is a nice way for your son to learn more about his parents, but slightly less game-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Dad
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Timeline series was suggested (as were many other good ones). If we may piggy-back on that, we recommend Timeline: Challenge. It takes the same idea and adds mini-games, almost like a game show.

Here's The Cardboard Kid's review of it.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know these are probably unpopular now, but the Scene-It games came in Disney versions. I don't know if you have them there, but the Thrift Stores around here are flooded with them. They work ok, so long as you can play the dvd somehow and your kiddo has seen most of the Disney stuff. I think Cardline is pretty good, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azuresilver wrote:
Does anyone know of any triva games that are balanced for Kids and Parents so can play together but without the need for seperate questions?

Im looking for a game that has some interesting gameplay that allows me to play with my son so that when a question is asked, he feels like he could answer the question. Even if its taking a guess or muliple choice.

any ideas?

My young boys have played and enjoyed Box of Rocks (though a lot of US sport and American multiple choice questions). Timeline is excellent as you can level the playing field by modifying the number of cards each of you start with. Try and find the square tin ones (there is a British history and London Museum edition) rather than the circular ones as apparently has less than half the cards. Timeline Challenge just bloats the simple enjoyment of the tin edition, adds longevity if over familiar with the tins. There is also Cardline with Dinosaurs and Animal themes. One game we have been enjoying is Destination X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also informed that Are You Dumber Than a Box of Rocks? has been reprinted. It's now "Are You Dumber than a Box of Rocks?". Same game, slightly updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Mulrooney
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are a family of 6, with kids aged 7-16, and we like the Timeline and Cardline games. Last night we played Cardline: Animals and my husband won a game, then my 9 yr old won a game. We didn't feel anyone had a particular advantage.

As someone said above, Timeline: Inventions is especially good. We do sometimes discuss a card a little before placement for the youngest, if it's a completely unfamiliar concept. Then she takes a best guess from there, just like the rest of us. Challenging and fun game, and it leads to lots of great conversations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Notyou
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that some good equalizers are to get trivia on topics the child is interested in or that the adults do not have a large knowledge base of. Children are sponges for new information and usually enjoy repetition in gaming, unlike adults who jump from game to game, so they will close the gap in knowledge by sheer effort if allowed to replay a game over and over.

For my little one space is the place. One big hit for that was Qurious Space. I had knowledge of the topic, but not so much we weren't learning together. Even better it is a 4-games-in-1 deck, three of which we enjoy a lot. You can learn info in the "Quiz" game and then apply that new knowledge in the "Spin" game (we also play the "Explore" game a great deal, a fun but surprisingly difficult match four go-fish type game). It is liked enough that I wish they would release themed versions for other interests like bugs, rocks, animals and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.