Subject: Haunt 11 wording suggestion (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Champion
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Haunt 11, I was part of the Heroes. During the haunt it seemed impossible for us to win because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we could only search where the Inhabitants appear and we couldn't search a room where there was already a token; this was erroneously interpreted by me to mean that we could search two tiles altogether (where the Inhabitants first showed up).

I would like to suggest a change to the wording of the Haunt to reflect how it should be played. Perhaps saying
any tile where an Inhabitant could potentially appear.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neff
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Pertinax wrote:
On Haunt 11, I was part of the Heroes. During the haunt it seemed impossible for us to win because
we could only search where the Inhabitants appear and we couldn't search a room where there was already a token; this was erroneously interpreted by me to mean that we could search two tiles altogether (where the Inhabitants first showed up).

I would like to suggest a change to the wording of the Haunt to reflect how it should be played. Perhaps saying
any tile where an Inhabitant could potentially appear.

Thank you.

As an aside, the actions will always have the restrictions on them inside the box where they appear.

In haunt 11, the Search actions says "(while on a tile with an Inhabitant symbol that doesn’t have a Searched token): Make a Knowledge roll"

This is always where you should look for any restrictions on how to perform actions, because the shortcuts at the top are often narrative or shorthand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I played that scenario, and it's very difficult for the heroes to win, Plus, for us, it was over before the second round. Also, it's entirely possible no one wins.

The heroes get one successful search on each inhabitant symbol. There's a less than 40% chance of finding a 6 or higher. If they get a 5 or less total face up chips on both, then it's over for the heroes. If they get a 5 or less on one, then they have to kill the other inhabitant, even if they're sure they're innocent. For the traitor to win, they must kill all the heroes. If the heroes can't attack an inhabitant, and the traitor and cultists die, no one wins.

Fantastic game, Would love some feedback if we're all reading it wrong. Thanks.

Also, what do you do if no one wins? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's exactly how we interpreted it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenoverby wrote:
I played that scenario, and it's very difficult for the heroes to win, Plus, for us, it was over before the second round. Also, it's entirely possible no one wins.

The heroes get one successful search on each inhabitant symbol. There's a less than 40% chance of finding a 6 or higher. If they get a 5 or less total face up chips on both, then it's over for the heroes. If they get a 5 or less on one, then they have to kill the other inhabitant, even if they're sure they're innocent. For the traitor to win, they must kill all the heroes. If the heroes can't attack an inhabitant, and the traitor and cultists die, no one wins.

Fantastic game, Would love some feedback if we're all reading it wrong. Thanks.

Also, what do you do if no one wins? Thanks

I don't know how you are interpreting it exactly but I think there's an error. You can search any tile with an inhabitant symbol, as noted in the SEARCH action on the main goal. There are three tiles with the male symbol and three with the female (during the campaign, in free play there are more). So you can, with time, search all the tokens on all inhabitants.

But, even if you couldn't do that, the game would end in a traitor victory if the heroes die or the wrong inhabitant is killed. I'm having trouble figuring out where you got to the no one can win interpretation but I'd like to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We didn't get to all the inhabitant tiles before the haunt started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Other than this misprinted sceario, it's been pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champion
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imadjinn wrote:

In haunt 11, the Search actions says "(while on a tile with an Inhabitant symbol that doesn’t have a Searched token): Make a Knowledge roll"

I interpreted 'Inhabitant symbol' to mean the token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I had to read it multiple times, because it states twice, above that, in bold, to search where the inhabitants appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So we searched where the inhabitants appear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The detail you're missing is that you can continue exploring after the haunt's started. If you haven't found all six tiles with inhabitant symbols by the time the haunt starts, keep looking until you find the rest.

You can keep searching each of those six tiles until you actually succeed. That's when you actually put the "Searched" token on the tile (not the inhabitant card) and can't search that tile anymore. You can still search on the other inhabitant tiles with the same symbol to flip over additional tokens.

You can attack an inhabitant once the tokens revealed on their card equal 6 or more. Since there are 10 number tokens numbered 1-10, no card can have a total lower than 6 (1+2+3). If you succeed on one search and reveal a number lower than 6, you can't attack yet. You can search another inhabitant tile with a matching symbol (male or female), and if you succeed you flip a second token and then add that value to the value of the first revealed token.

So in your hypothetical, if all the cultists and the traitor are dead (so the traitor can't regenerate), then the heroes are at their leisure to explore the house until they find the rest of the inhabitant tiles, search those tiles until they reveal all the number tokens, and then take out the Cult Leader. I guess it's possible they could fail the searches enough times to die of mental damage, or be killed by negative events, at which point the victory would go to the traitor (or so I would think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We didn't have those cards out. Can't find a card or rule that tells us to put them out, after searching the game several times. Maybe missing, don't know. May have been our luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenoverby wrote:
We didn't have those cards out. Can't find a card or rule that tells us to put them out, after searching the game several times. Maybe missing, don't know. May have been our luck.

"Those cards" being the Inhabitants?

Legacy Deck card L28, which reads "STOP Chapter 2, 1729, A SUNDAY" on one face. The reverse tells you to place the Hearth and put everyone there. It tells you to punch out tiles from planks 3 and 4 and add them to the stack (these will be the tiles with the Inhabitant symbols on them), and to shuffle the new Item and Event cards into the correct decks.

The last paragraph on the card tells you to open Door G in the Folium INfernum and add the sticker to the rulebook (rule about Inhabitants). Then it tells you your first two Inhabitant cards are in the Legacy deck (you should've seen them while drawing the other cards leading up to the PAUSE card), and to place them face down near the other card decks.

The rule sticker you added to the rulebook tells you that when you discover a tile containing an Inhabitant symbol (and shows you the three symbols), that you turn that inhabitant's card face-up if it's face down, and move their token to that tile even if it's already on another tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Exactly what we did. When the haunt started, we had 3 or 4 inhabitant tiles out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The instructions we had said to start the haunt on a 3+ haunt roll or when you run out of Omen cards and need one. What does other people's say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to (and expected to in many cases) keep exploring the house after the haunt starts. You could've found more inhabitant tiles through exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorenoverby wrote:
Exactly what we did. When the haunt started, we had 3 or 4 inhabitant tiles out.

And as mentioned, you can keep exploring after the haunt has started to find the last two or three you're missing so you can complete the searches. This hasn't changed from the original (you can explore after a haunt has started, and in fact often need to if not all of the rooms you need are discovered yet).

But if you already had three or four inhabitant tiles out, then you should have also had the inhabitant cards "in play" instead of face-down to the side. When the haunt started, the traitor should have placed three face-down number tokens on each inhabitant card, which are the tokens you're revealing by searching the inhabitant tiles.

But if you only have 3 or 4 tiles out, keep exploring to find the rest.

lorenoverby wrote:
The instructions we had said to start the haunt on a 3+ haunt roll or when you run out of Omen cards and need one. What does other people's say?

This is correct. If you roll a 3+ (which is doable on drawing the second Omen card) or when you need to draw another Omen card (which will happen with the third Omen tile revealed), then the haunt begins.

Ours started with four tiles revealed so far, so we thought we'd have to keep exploring. However three lucky searches and we took a gamble on which inhabitant was the cult leader (revealed 3 and 4 on one card, 7 on the other; the odds were in favor of the card with 7 being the cult leader). We turned out to be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Overby
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying. Well since we followed the rules that said "appears" twice in bold, it wouldn't have mattered. I figure any game where the designer lists something twice in bold text, that's pretty much what they want you to do. So, for us, the traitor won extremely easy, but from what I've been reading, that's par for the course on that one. Good game overall though. I've been reading through all the other rules questions, so I'm glad we're not the only ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.