Subject: Make your own dominion cards for kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Daniels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone here made your own custom cards for dominion specifically for kids? And if so what worked well for you? My thought process would be to take a normal card like lab but instead of +2 cards +1 action have extra text underneath that says "if under the age of 8 +1 additional card" or something similar. Any suggestions? My five year old really wants to play but is going to need some extra help even if we wait a bit longer to introduce her to it. I think the special cards might give her a boost to make her competitive without us taking it easy on her. Any thoughts from the hive mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just a handicap on you? Start with a curse or two instead of copper. Lot easier than making cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Why not just a handicap on you? Start with a curse or two instead of copper. Lot easier than making cards.
Or adults can draw only 4 cards at the end of their turn instead of 5.

Agreed, lots of better ways to give kids an edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Daniels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Or adults can draw only 4 cards at the end of their turn instead of 5.

Agreed, lots of better ways to give kids an edge.

Great ideas! I somehow had not thought of that. I should explain some of my thought process though.
Part of this is for nostalgia reasons. When I was a kid (a long time ago) my dad made some special cards for my little brother to "play" monopoly with us. He was really young and had no idea how to play but he loved those cards. "Sewer works" instead of "water works" and some fake railroads if I remember correctly. I don't mind the dyi project especially if the kids remember it fondly later in life. But I totally agree that your suggestions of handicapping myself would be easier.
Thanks
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we've just modified the whole game with kid aids like:
"+1 action every turn"
"+1 card every turn"
"double all numbers on action cards"
I was also a fan of starting with more estate cads in place of copper as it seems fair to the kid, it gives them a three turn boost or so. I liked it because I could see them thinking about if it helped them or not.
It depends a bit on how they think and what action cards you intend to use.
Some cards you can just say ignore the chance or choice option.

Take my input with a grain of salt. I've only played with a young kid one day so I'm not sure how well any worked, I think the kid was just one to like dice chucking and other more exciting types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I play straight up with my 6 year old, and she can compete with a level playing field. The main problems are that she takes a long time to make up her mind and needs me to shuffle for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.