Board Game: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Who is the best TTA player in the world me or petri rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Alien fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!
josqvin wrote:
How can you say you are the best player in the world when you are miles away from the number 1 ranking on the app behind LaoHuang?
You gain rank by playing games. Lao Huang has consistently over 100 concurrent games going on. Gary pan has now about 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
Does petri play on the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
josqvin wrote:
How can you say you are the best player in the world when you are miles away from the number 1 ranking on the app behind LaoHuang?
App ranking tell us who has more time to play
I can win over 60% games with also Huang
By the way he even doesn’t dare to challenge me in formal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
GaryPan wrote:
josqvin wrote:
App ranking tell us who has more time to play
I can win over 60% games with also Huang
By the way he even doesn’t dare to challenge me in formal
p.s. he starts about 10 4p games everyday, that’s the way he get rank points, you can try to start 20, you may catch up with him, in about half a year(if your winning rate is ok)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
Drawdown wrote:
Does petri play on the app?
It seems that he does not, hope he will be back in this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
Padish wrote:
Lao Huang has consistently over 100 concurrent games going on.
So he's single handedly responsible for all the connection problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D.
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Backgammon fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages - I love Political Actions!Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Bridge fan
Okay so do you have any evidence that you are better than vlaada himself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Creative Commons fanMicrobadge: Invisible Pink UnicornMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
josqvin wrote:
Okay so do you have any evidence that you are better than vlaada himself?
Do you have any evidence that Vlaada is particularly good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D.
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Backgammon fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages - I love Political Actions!Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Bridge fan
Considering he is in charge of creating and balancing cards one would presume (or at least hope) that his knowledge of the nuance of card strengths and interactions be unsurpassed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Creative Commons fanMicrobadge: Invisible Pink UnicornMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan
josqvin wrote:
Considering he is in charge of creating and balancing cards one would presume (or at least hope) that his knowledge of the nuance of card strengths and interactions be unsurpassed.
I would actually be surprised if that were the case. For example, see the feedback he got (and accepted) regarding the strength of Heavy Cavalry during development of New Story, and his comments about making the change. In my experience, designers don't have the time to become as good as their games' most dedicated players. I'm sure he has a very good holistic view of the game, but not the same level of hands-on experience and detailed knowledge as the best players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: I keep my ratings currentMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: St. Louis Cardinals fan
josqvin wrote:
Auto racing is not dominated by auto engineers, because building and driving are different skillsets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matin Ghiasi
msg tools
who is Petri?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Dark Ages buffMicrobadge: Civilization Computer Game fan
It has been fun playing you in the test games and in the tournaments. Thanks!

I would agree that you are one of the absolute best in 2-player. You have won most of our duels. In 3-player and 4-player I would not say that there is any best player. I'm looking forward to the tournament format.

Good luck to all challengers. Remember to be ruthless ruthless in your push for victory, GP is =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lao Huang
China
LanZhou
flag msg tools
In China, he is a very good two-player gamer. He wrote many strategies, which is very helpful for beginners. We call him Professor Wolf.

Many people in China like to play 2v2, because 2v2 is very exciting. These people have been playing this game for many years, and finally almost only play 2v2. If you are interested in 2v2, please contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
LaoHuang wrote:
Many people in China like to play 2v2, because 2v2 is very exciting. These people have been playing this game for many years, and finally almost only play 2v2. If you are interested in 2v2, please contact me.
What are the rules for 2v2 team play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorrig von Knorrig
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Auf den Spuren von Marco Polo fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fanMicrobadge: Czech Games Edition "2017 Wrap-Up" Contest participant
I think he refers to 2p or 1v1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Jorrig wrote:
I think he refers to 2p or 1v1.
No, he messaged me with
LaoHuang wrote:
13vs24,Prohibiting treaty signing, the highest total score victory
I then asked for more specifics: Are the pacts in the deck? If they are, can you make a pact with a rival? Are there any restrictions on communication?

Waiting on a reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lao Huang
China
LanZhou
flag msg tools
My friend will write an article about 2v2. Please look forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haoyu Wang
msg tools
Microbadge: 7 Wonders fan - The Lighthouse of AlexandriaMicrobadge: Dice Forge fanMicrobadge: Splendor fanMicrobadge: Century: Spice Road fan
GaryPan plays a lot of style. He says that every decision depends on the list of civil cards and the military-draw.
It is even very hard to get close to his score. Once I tried my best and finished a game with only 6 points behind him (though I had known that I lost), yet he scored more than 40 points over me with "impact"s.
Maybe I am not very good, but GaryPan is definitely very strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
astroglide wrote:
josqvin wrote:
Auto racing is not dominated by auto engineers, because building and driving are different skillsets.
This is an awful analogy. Driving requires no knowledge of the way a car is engineered whatsoever, whereas playing TTA correctly requires an intimate knowledge. Game design also requires intimate knowledge, which is why this game plays well, and also why the AI is better than most AIs in a large proportion of situations. Engineers don't make the rules of auto-racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
GaryPan wrote:
Several years ago, I believed that I am as good as petri, but still I had no confidence to challenge him to prove it. Now, I am confidently saying that I am the best TTA Player in the world. I welcome all players from the world to challenge me.

If anyone wants to challenge, you can just start a 2p game called "BO19 1" and pick me as your opponent,then our duel starts.
Gary Pan, you should join the world championship for 1x1s on facebook to play some duels. We did a few duel tournaments a few months ago, and more to come I am sure. I think LeonC will defeat you in BO19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
Atomation wrote:
GaryPan wrote:
Several years ago, I believed that I am as good as petri, but still I had no confidence to challenge him to prove it. Now, I am confidently saying that I am the best TTA Player in the world. I welcome all players from the world to challenge me.

If anyone wants to challenge, you can just start a 2p game called "BO19 1" and pick me as your opponent,then our duel starts.
Gary Pan, you should join the world championship for 1x1s on facebook to play some duels. We did a few duel tournaments a few months ago, and more to come I am sure. I think LeonC will defeat you in BO19.
I have played against him, he even did not impress me a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Inspector Clouseau fanMicrobadge: Rockin' the DonutMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Ahh... The old closet ploy, I do enjoy a good closet ployMicrobadge: LABS webcomic fan
I'm unsubbing from this little chat. My eyes are getting dizzy from rolling at everything GP says
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D.
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Gary, when you play a high level match against a good opponent, how much time do you take per turn on average? Do you spend 20-30 min like a chess player? I noticed that on the app you only seem to take a few seconds for each turn against me, but I am not very high ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
Gary plays TTA like it is blitz chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |