Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

Board Game: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Who is the best TTA player in the world me or petri rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gnatbuoy
msg tools
Microbadge: Fantasy Flight Games "KeyForge: Call of the Archons" Contest Participant
matinghiasi85 wrote:
who is Petri?
Yeah, who is petri?

From what I gather:

- he doesn't play the app
- he might not even play anymore?
- good enough for Gary Pan, a.k.a. the GOAT, to ask for comparisons

edit: G.O.A.T.: Greatest Of All Time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: = the number of heroesMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game fan - PerilMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG poster
gnatbuoy wrote:
matinghiasi85 wrote:
who is Petri?
Yeah, who is petri?

From what I gather:

- he doesn't play the app
- he might not even play anymore?
- good enough for Gary Pan, a.k.a the GOAT, to ask for comparisons

I am confused, does Gary have the nickname „Wolf“ or „Goat“ now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
Petri must be good if the great GaryPan has doubts whether he can beat him. Maybe Gary thought this thread might lure him out of retirement in order to face him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Orangevale
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Microbadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: Fukutarou fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
Drawdown wrote:
Petri must be good if the great GaryPan has doubts whether he can beat him. Maybe Gary thought this thread might lure him out of retirement in order to face him?
I'm subscribed for the cliched western/kung fu showdown at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Orangevale
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Microbadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: My wife buys me board games!Microbadge: Fukutarou fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
Roger the Alien wrote:
gnatbuoy wrote:

I am confused, does Gary have the nickname „Wolf“ or „Goat“ now?
WOLFG.O.A.T, a terrifying hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
I have noticed that GaryPan has a female avator on the app. Anybody know the reason for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hanibalicious wrote:
WOLFG.O.A.T, a terrifying hybrid.
Wouldn't that be G.WOLFO.A.T. (or G.W.O.A.T.)?

Maybe the nickname WOLFO will stick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
To me, what Gary is doing by posting this thread seems completely reasonable. If he has a winning record against everyone he has played more than a handful of times, he probably wants to know whether there's any tougher competition out there. What better way to do that than to post an invitation here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alchemists fanMicrobadge: Wir sind das Volk! fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"Microbadge: Dragonlance fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
just to add my two cents here - i am "raist" on the app and i have played many many games vs garypan. maybe 100 or more.

i think i'm a pretty good player but if i have to be honest, i think he beats me 80% of the time. and i think i have around 50% or better against almost all other players.

he's definitely the best 2p player i have come across so far, without a doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
GaryPan wrote:
SWxNW wrote:
For the curious who might want to see high level of play, here's a Super Blitz that Gary against another top-tier player,

Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Inis fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages - William Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZvk7Lc02w

I'm glad to see Gary register on BGG, even if it's only to needle the TtA community a bit.

Welcome to the community, Gary. I hope you might give some insights into the expansion once it's released to the general public (I assume you're a playtester on it).
I will write comments of all expansion cards in detail, but that will be in Chinese, I feel a bit difficult for me to translate them into English, i ‘ll Try for some
I'll volunteer to translate them into English for you. I am fluent in both languages and feel like I owe you a favour ... I have listened to your live analysis of TTA games and it really helped me improve. If you want, you can send your chinese analysis to my bgg inbox and i'll translate and post it online, making sure everyone knows it's from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Doe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I respect board game designers and all others who dedicate their time to this hobby!
badge
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” -- Dr. Seuss
Microbadge: I Love BGG!Microbadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
ttchong wrote:

I'll volunteer to translate them into English for you. I am fluent in both languages and feel like I owe you a favour ... I have listened to your live analysis of TTA games and it really helped me improve. If you want, you can send your chinese analysis to my bgg inbox and i'll translate and post it online, making sure everyone knows it's from you.
That would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Jiang
msg tools
Microbadge: Through the Ages - CultureMicrobadge: WBC attendeeMicrobadge: Pianist
Wow, nice thread! Gary is able to pull off very ridiculous things in this game, but I think I have to vote Petri as the GOAT. It would be great to see Petri him join the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
If there was anybody who could beat Gary at higher than 50% with proof, they probably would of came forward already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Indonesia fanMicrobadge: Hands in the Sea fan
Drawdown wrote:
If there was anybody who could beat Gary at higher than 50% with proof, they probably would of came forward already.
You're assuming that person frequents BGG. Gary himself just created an account a month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Ceska
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
CGE fixed statistics on their webpage, so I was able to get some data to check if GaryPan is the best player of TTA in the world.

Firstly total statistics for two players who have the most experiences in the game:

GaryPan
Games finished: 2594
Games won: 1913
Win rate: 74%

LaoHuang
Games finished: 3307
Games won: 1467
Win rate: 44%

Clearly, GaryPan is better than LaoHuang.

What is more interesting is statistics of games between players:

GaryPan vs.

AshLikeSnow
85:50 (63%)

Fayebian
98:61 (62%)

yangziduan
64:40 (62%)

saru
69:52 (57%)

hippo
22:20 (52%)

AaronGreen
19:18 (51%)

yaop
36:36 (50%)

JeremyBrokaw
7:17 (29%)

hippo AaronGreen and yaop are as good as GaryPan and it looks like GaryPan found his cryptonite in JeremyBrokaw.

Note:
Statistics are together for all types of games (2, 3, 4 players).
You can check it yourself here: https://account.czechgames.com/statistics/2-through-the-ages...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Indonesia fanMicrobadge: Hands in the Sea fan
pajada wrote:
Note:
You can check it yourself here: https://account.czechgames.com/statistics/2-through-the-ages...
This is indeed interesting, but we really need the player count breakdown to assess.

I know that Jeremy Brokaw and Gary have both played in the Transcontinental Ladder 3p tournament and spent a lot of time in the top rungs together, so I imagine a lot of their 24 plays are from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Inis fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages - William Shakespeare
Clicking that link, I don't see the 7 victories vs JeremyBrokaw. The data shows only who beat Gary the most and who Gary beat the most. How did you get the player-vs-player data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alchemists fanMicrobadge: Wir sind das Volk! fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"Microbadge: Dragonlance fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
SWxNW wrote:
pajada wrote:
Note:
This is indeed interesting, but we really need the player count breakdown to assess.

I know that Jeremy Brokaw and Gary have both played in the Transcontinental Ladder 3p tournament and spent a lot of time in the top rungs together, so I imagine a lot of their 24 plays are from that.
indeed. we really need to isolate to 2p stats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Ceska
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
jaafit wrote:
Clicking that link, I don't see the 7 victories vs JeremyBrokaw. The data shows only who beat Gary the most and who Gary beat the most. How did you get the player-vs-player data?
I went to JeremyBrokaw's profile (https://account.czechgames.com/statistics/2-through-the-ages...) and there you can see how many times he beats GaryPan.

CGE is showing only top 10 players who defeated you or who you defeat, so we can't get complete data, but you can visit both profiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |