Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who happen to be on the fence or are maybe just coming across this series for the first time, here's some information that should have been part of both the base game's and the Kharkov expansion's pages at GMT but for some reason is not.

Knowing this would have had me upgrade my 1st Print box a long time ago and it may just mean that the 2nd Print would have sold out by now rather than currently being on special at GMT for just $45 USD.

Here goes:

The 2nd Print of the base game has Deluxe thickness counters. (And the current print of the Kharkov expansion does too.)

At $45 this game is a steal given this boost to quality and the plethora of material that accompanies it.

Make sure your box says "Second Printing" on it (the Version 1.1 rules will also be inside). Then buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Interesting info indeed! (I suggest making that clear in the thread subject so it's less click-baity and more directly informative...)

Funnily enough, for storage space reasons, I'm glad I have original counters, which are sufficiently thick for me, and the lid already doesn't fully close on the several counter trays I have in my original edition box...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copies of both games back in the fall of 2018. I don't know if the core game is 2nd edition or not. However, thickness of counter isn't a huge deal for me. Do you think that's why it didn't get traction?

I love the system. As soon as I get off this ASLSK kick I'll be playing the hell out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
I love the system. As soon as I get off this ASLSK kick I'll be playing the hell out of it.

Heh, small world; I too love the FF system (and the excellently written rulebook and the clean clear graphic design, etc) but have been on a long ASLSK kick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually don’t care for the thicker counters as they did with Fields of Fire 2nd edition. Take up more space in the tray and harder to round properly. The standard counters were perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, guys... we're killing Adam's thick counter buzz.

Carry on, Adam. Don't let us harsh your mellow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m juggling my trays now Russ: it’s taking 3 cavities just to fit the MkIIIj’s as a point of reference and I really don’t want to use baggies for this game!

I bought Kharkov the other week and couldn’t work out why they went deluxe with it.

It does show how important up to date marketing can be. It’s a strange hobby we have when sales growth isn’t foremost on every publisher’s mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Guys, guys... we're killing Adam's thick counter buzz.

Carry on, Adam. Don't let us harsh your mellow

Not so much a buzz than not knowing what’s in the box on the store shelf

Btw I vaguely recall, now, some questioning about the 2nd Print counters coming out unexpectedly thick. This was what, 7 years ago?

I’ve a hunch it was a production goof and it may explain why Kharkov had to follow suit.

Hence my question about what to expect with Combat Commander Print 4, on Consim yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just check the item # on the box. First printing says 1105 and the reprint 1105-11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
Just check the item # on the box. First printing says 1105 and the reprint 1105-11.

Whether or not the words "Second printing" are on the front cover may be a more obvious indication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy of the base game during the GMT Customer Appreciation Sale back in 2013 for $22.50. What a steal! It has the thicker counters.

I suspect that they went with the thicker counters because of the high amount of counter-flipping required to illustrate that a unit has been activated.

I've managed to organize all my base and Kharkov counters into 3 trays (German, Soviet, everything else) but there's no way those trays will fit into the main box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a plausible theory, Bob. Don’t know why that printing goof thread came to mind (if it’s anywhere, it’s buried in ConsimWorld).

Anyway my history with this series is sadder than yours .

Part 1 The Journey Begins

On release in 2011, I bought two P500 boxes of the 1st Print. That print run saw some quite bad counter misalignment and both my boxes, unfortunately, reflected those. (As a note, that's also the print run that sold out at GMT in record time.)

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and my FLGS had boxes of the new Kharkov on shelf. I knew by then that GMT had also reprinted the base game and we’d been told during its development that inside it were a couple of needed changes:

1. They’d deepened the unit coloring as the 1st Print’s were very close in shading between their grey and brown.
2. They’d fixed a minor map error.
3. They’d added the new v1.1 rule and playbooks.

Well, Lo and behold, sitting next to Kharkov was a copy of the base game too. So I bought them both with the idea that if expanding into Kharkov I may as well freshen up my original components as well.

Part 2 Into the Vortex

On getting home, that's when I discovered Kharkov had the surprise of extra thick counters.

And that's also when my heart sank on realizing that not only did my new base game not include them—why should it?—but it also had the same coloring as my older two boxes ... and was miscut like them as well. And it had no v1.1 rules inside.

I’d of course, inadvertently, bought a third box of the 1st Printing! And I'd already started its prep.

Caveat-freaking-emptor!

I’d forgotten to look for “Second Printing” on the box.

Well, yesterday dawned. And back in my FLGS browsing the shelves, what did I see? Of course, a Fighting Formations clearly labelled with the new edition.

The store’s owner was truly apologetic. He discounted this new box for me. And I bought another Kharkov for the effort; who doesn't want extra Tigers?

Part 3 The Thick of It

So, I now own four boxes of the base game and two copies of the expansion. That kinda gives me some cred with this system!

And that's when I then had the added surprise of finding deluxe thickness counters inside Base Game Print #2; stupendously pleased I was that I now had a matching counter set.

Which led to this PSA. No, not a buzz.

Just a kind internet communique for those like me who had no freaking idea.

Happy gaming all,
Adam.

Epilogue

Look for “Second Printing”. Its box art is hidden in the GMT game page in a confusing photo slideshow. I don't even think they know why.

And here’s what the new counters for the entire series look like.

Shown here, all German vehicles. The remaining GD towed weapons won’t fit in this single tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and store everything by unit type ect. in baggies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
irreg77 wrote:
I have both games and store everything by unit type ect. in baggies

I have the first printing counters. I noticed the difference in thickness when I was re-arranging my counter trays this weekend after finally getting a chance to dive into the expansions.

I currently have all the Soviet forces in one tray, all the German forces in another, and all the administrative/tracking/counter type pieces in baggies. I've put the two trays and the maps in the FF:GD box, and the rulebooks, reference sheets, bagged pieces, order cubes, dice and card decks in the expansion box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.