Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 9- A Growing Boy. Did we play it correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Alhambra
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Spoilers. Not sure how to do spoiler tags. Sorry.
Played Haunt 9 last night, and I want to make sure we did it right.

The haunt drops and we set up.
Player one explores, finds nothing.
Player two is in a rune room. STUDIES successfully. She looks through the room tiles, picks one, buries the other two, then moves one space to EXPLORE. Reveals the new room, which has a SEARCH.
She attempts to PREPARE the crib. She has knowledge 5, rolls an 8, and adds two for the rune.
Ten. The crib is prepared.
Player 3 moves to the traitor/doll, and uses the Cross of Rituals to do a Sanity attack. He rolls 7. The Doll has a sanity of 3, so even a max roll would still damage the Doll.
The Haunt guides state that if the Doll is successfully attacked, it flees to the crib, and it also states, in the same reaction box, that if the crib is in play, and the doll is on that tile, the heroes win.
So. The Haunt dropped, and the traitor lost without even getting a turn. Did we do that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It sounds like you did everything right... you were incredibly lucky to have the items and for everyone to be in position the way they were.

When we did this haunt, we played that you had to attack once to drive the doll to the crib, then attack a second time to defeat it. That’s how we interpreted the box but I think now that was in error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Cliff
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
When we did this haunt, we played that you had to attack once to drive the doll to the crib, then attack a second time to defeat it. That’s how we interpreted the box but I think now that was in error.

That's how we played it too. It makes the most sense to me. Gameplay wise, why wouldn't it just say the doll dies if the crib is on the board? Narrative wise, the doll flees to the crib, and the players have to attack it again there to destroy it.

Anyhow, it's not a big deal unless the traitor was already close to the room with the crib.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Cohen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm not sure if this makes you feel better, but no, things did not play out correctly. That's on us though, we could have been clearer.

If you successfully attack the doll, one of three things will be true:

- The crib is not in play: Stun the doll.

- The crib IS in play, AND the doll is on the tile with the crib: The heroes win.

- The crib IS in play, BUT the doll is somewhere else: Stun the doll and move it to the crib.

I deliberately swapped the order of these last two points compared to the book for added clarity. It sounds like you stunned the doll and moved it to the crib, then checked that it was in the room with the crib. Instead, you should have moved the doll and stunned it, then another attack would be necessary to finish it off. I've made a note to change the order and wording of those paragraphs to make it clearer that only one will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Alhambra
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ah. Well.
I'll let the group know. I can see now how it can be interpreted that way, and if you say so, let it be so, but we discussed it and agreed on how we played it. Thanks for the clarification, and if it comes up again in free play, we'll remember it.
-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Messing
msg tools
TychoAlhambra wrote:
Spoilers.
Player 3 moves to the traitor/doll, and uses the Cross of Rituals to do a Sanity attack. He rolls 7. The Doll has a sanity of 3, so even a max roll would still damage the doll.

Quick follow up question. When I tried to use the cross the traitor said "The doll has no sanity." We played that we lost the attack - see rulebook page 15, "other attacks".
Did we miss something or did the group in the original post played wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The original poster was wrong. I just checked. The doll has no sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Messing
msg tools
Thanks Rob for the quick reply. I was afraid that we missed another rule when I read this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.