Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy at retail back in early November. I'm a huge Kemet fan and was looking forward to this for a while. I find it odd that I have yet to see this expansion get any notice by any of the numerous board game YouTube video hosts. Other than a couple of short "unboxing" videos, there's nothing for this expansion. Based on how many of these hosts claimed to love Kemet, I thought this would get more exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kumpula
Finland
flag msg tools
Yeah I am wondering the same thing. For example Tom from Dice Tower loves Kemet but has not yet but up a review which is weird I think. It would be nice to hear other people thoughts about Seth.

I think that the biggest reason is that you almost have to play it with seasoned Kemet players or it will be too hard/sloggish. Then you need atleast 5 players to even play with the whole board.. It is also quite long so you cant play easily many games in a row. To get 5 Kemet veterans together many times is maybe just so hard that the reviewers have yet to play it sufficient amount of time to tell their oppinion. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its probably just a matter of Cult of the New. All the essen releases are starting to reach north america and everyone is excited about those. Kemet has been around like 7-8 years i think?? I just dont think its on anyones hotness. This is a pro lem i find with the game industry... Too many games coming out and the games that are more than 2-3 years old seem to be forgotten pretty quickly. A friend of mine who is a notable game designer was saying that there is a pretty big lack of critical reviews for games. He was suggesting i should get back into reviews but with the notion that i review games that ive played AT LEAST 5-6 times so as to be able to provide a good critcal analysis about it.

I think guys like rahdo, dice tower, gameboy geek etc. Simply cant spend the time doing this. They may play some of these games quite a few times but to spend a good half hour talking about it?? I just dont think they have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The release of the expansion into North American markets was a little erratic and a significantly after its initial European release, and that might have had something to do with it.
My partner and I plan on reviewing it at some point, but a further difficulty is that it really wants to be played with experienced Kemet players--making it a little harder to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Mulroy
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ignored??

I've been keeping a close eye on my usual British games retailers since Essen and have not seen any hint of it's availability outside of mildly extortionate US copies.

If anything, I had figured Vasel and others haven't reviewed it because it wasn't yet widely available.

I really want this expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severijn De Wilde
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, factor in that the holiday period has been taking up everyone's time. I'm sure these sites will get to it eventually. They probably will give priority to full games rather than expansion I'll wager.

As for availability, Kemet Seth has been in Belgium for a least a month now. It would be surprising if the UK is that delayed considering that we're receiving a version that has the rules in French and English...

Maybe it's stuck at the border?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alisdair McLeod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Quote:
I've been keeping a close eye on my usual British games retailers since Essen and have not seen any hint of it's availability outside of mildly extortionate US copies.

I don't know about your usual retailers, or if you have got your hands on a copy by now, but if it helps I ordered it direct from Matagot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a factor is that the last expansion sucked (Seti).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Also a factor is that the last expansion sucked (Seti).

Hello,

I would welcome detailed feedback, and got plenty. But having worked long hours with Guillaume and Jacques on that expansion, I feel this message is harsh.

Thank you for remembering we are all just people making and playing games,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played ta seti once. I dont really remember it except for the black pyramid and powers, and those were cool. I dont think the expansion sucked. My only problem with kemet is i wosh there was a rules rewrite. But overall it's awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I only played ta seti once. I dont really remember it except for the black pyramid and powers, and those were cool. I dont think the expansion sucked. My only problem with kemet is i wosh there was a rules rewrite. But overall it's awesome

Thank you Chris,

The rules I agree 100% got to be rewritten so yes, definitely we're working on this and an upgrade pack of small Power tiles adjustments.

Hopefully this will be done in this year of 2019. Working on it.

Best,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnaud, if you want help with rules writing, could I help out at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have ta seti and I really enjoy it. Nothing wrong with it at all! I haven't picked up Seth yet due to the cost being so high for an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Arnaud, if you want help with rules writing, could I help out at all?

Hello,

I am more than happy to put you in touch with the team for review, please message me

Thanks,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shak S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is that an upgrade pack for base, ta seti or Seth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severijn De Wilde
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just wanted to say that I liked Ta-Seti for 4 out of 5 modules. The new pyramid, the battle cards, the dawn phase and how victory is checked are good improvements on the original.

The Path to Ta-Seti added too much to an already complicated game. Having players add in another board that they need to think about slowed the game down, and I didn't feel that it carried enough weight to stay in our games, especially since it also involved extra set-up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bataar wrote:
I bought my copy at retail back in early November. I'm a huge Kemet fan and was looking forward to this for a while. I find it odd that I have yet to see this expansion get any notice by any of the numerous board game YouTube video hosts. Other than a couple of short "unboxing" videos, there's nothing for this expansion. Based on how many of these hosts claimed to love Kemet, I thought this would get more exposure.

I think for many of us, the 1 vs many and co-op styles don't appeal. I aheve everything else for Kemet, all the promos and bling - I have no intention of buying this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

Thank you Chris,

The rules I agree 100% got to be rewritten so yes, definitely we're working on this and an upgrade pack of small Power tiles adjustments.

Best,
Arnaud.

Much has been made about power tile balance and an updated ruleset for certain tiles would be neat to see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
msg tools
mb
I have the base with "Ta-Seti" and add-on with creatures from "Cyclades" and I'm wondering if I really need "Set", because the price for it isn't low and in my company we never play games "one against others". So the logical question what does the latest extension to the "Kemet" has to be sure to make it bring to the collection?

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Graham
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly there's still no sign of this in the UK and nobody seems to have any idea why it's not been released here. I really liked Ta-Seti though; I don't normally use the path module but the black power tiles and extra cards add a great deal to the game. The turn order bidding is also interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill get a copy here and send it if u want to pay for it haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Graham
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offer, I think I'll wait for now as it's probably cheaper postage to order from Matagot as they are in Europe (as someone mentioned above that it's possible to do so). I appreciate it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Simionato
Italy
Mestre
Venezia
flag msg tools
arnaud4matagot wrote:
shooshoo wrote:

Thank you Chris,

Best,
Arnaud.

Nice! Can't wait to see the results.
I think a rulebook improvement is needed especially for the expansion Seth.
We had hard time to fully understant how setup, new rules and new tiles works. Also a new official FAQ would be appreciated, the interaction between all tiles can be tricky in Kemet:Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi Resser
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Good to hear that an upgrade pack is coming.

Ta-Seti was an excellent expansion, I do not know why some did not like it. It has modules that bring more of the same and module that bring something new, it is your choice what to use. My only slight suggestion was to change some of the tiles to blue (Khnum's Sphinx, Honor in Battle, Deadly Trap - which are more defensive tiles) and make some blue tiles black (Legion, Prescience - which are more tactical tiles)

c3k - Excelent expansion, I want more like this

Seth is also a great expansion, it has some great ideas, but also some small problems. The idea of having mixed troops is outstanding, great new abilities, great components, overall a great idea. Seth is to powerful, some of the tiles are very useful Seth and almost useless for the alliance. The alliance players only have 4 action per turn which is a huge limitation from my point of view. Tiles are 2 mm larger and have a different texture, this is not a problem for the purple tiles, but the replacement L3 tiles are again a little bigger in size too. Seth can only play as purple is another thing I do not like.

Overall Arnaud excellent work to bring us this wonderful game and it's expansions, we hope to see more of it in the future.

Best regards
Cristi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is my favorite board game, hands down. I own the first expansion and all the various promo tiles you can find, even the Cyclades Crossover Expansion. But simply put, Seth is a different game. I have a hard enough time getting Kemet to the table, but most of my friends who are interested in Kemet would not be interested in a 1vAll game (myself included). The rules of Seth aren't THAT complicated, but they assume a very comfortable working knowledge of the base game Kemet among all players. If you had a regular gaming group that pretty much only played Kemet and rarely anything else, then this expansion would be a great thing to get. But I don't have that, and I don't think many other people do. Ta-Seti was great, because you could piece-meal the modules in to a group who is just casually familiar with base game Kemet and is open to some new stuff. But Seth is a new game that requires all players to be so intimately familiar with the base game that they require a completely new game that recycles the core mechanics of Kemet. I don't know anyone that fits that description outside of (maybe) myself, so buying this expansion doesn't seem wise to me. Buying it without playing it is definitely a foolish move. I tried to play it at Essen to see for myself if I would get it, but Matagot had pretty much instantly dropped support for this expansion. They had ONE table for Kemet, it was shoved off into a corner that wasn't even visible from the rest of their gaming tables, and the staff had no plans and no idea how to let me know if/when I could demo the game. Half the time they were just playing a 2-3 hour base game Kemet with other attendees, certainly not demoing the expansion.

I don't speak for everyone, but I do speak as someone who has known full well that Kemet is my absolute favorite game, and has been for many years now. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that all I wanted was a way to add a bit of variety to the game, just like Ta-Seti did, not this completely different game that appeals to a demographic that barely exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.