Hide
10 Posts

DinoGenics» Forums » General

Subject: Can anybody comment on how well this game plays at 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
msg tools
I mostly only play at 2 player and am super interested in this game. Also, does anyone know of any reviews that will be coming out of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grenard
msg tools
publisher
Hi Daniel!

You can either try it in Tabletop Simulator for free, or wait for reviews. Reviews won't be hitting that fast, because I will be receiving my big box of copies on Tuesday, and I'm in charge of the review copies going out. If you have a favorite reviewer, let me know and I'll reach out to them!

I will say that we think the 2 player mode works quite well. The main changes is that several spots on the board are blocked, which helps ensure that many resources are still limited. We've played a lot of 2 player mode, and honestly it works quite well. There's a few buildings that aren't as useful, but that's about the worst of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mavis
msg tools
I’ve played twice with two and three times with four now.

The two player game works fine and is very solid but I do think the game is better with higher numbers. Certain fun functions of the game definitely benefit from greater player interaction. The DNA market for instance is constantly cycled at 4 players but at 2 it generally stays pretty stagnant. Quite a few manipulation cards are also a lot more interesting at higher player numbers.

With only two players you also have to be a lot more competitive in maintaining your reputation as grabbing as many visitors as possible each round is super important when only two people are competing over them. I need more plays to say for certain but this means that at higher player counts you can win in many different ways but at two players it seems like you need to optimize every point.

Right now I think I would rate two player a respectable 7 and four player a very solid 8.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldfenix wrote:
Hi Daniel!

You can either try it in Tabletop Simulator for free, or wait for reviews. Reviews won't be hitting that fast, because I will be receiving my big box of copies on Tuesday, and I'm in charge of the review copies going out. If you have a favorite reviewer, let me know and I'll reach out to them!

If you want a 2 player PoV, send it to Rahdo! I'd love to see what he makes of this, seems right up his street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we liked it but the DNA Market was a problem at 2 players. Nice competition with more interaction than Dinosaur Island (where you are pretty much on your own). Everything else is OK. The single blocking token on the locations puts the right amount of pressure on things with the outsource being a pricey pressure valve. We really liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Yeah we liked it but the DNA Market was a problem at 2 players. Nice competition with more interaction than Dinosaur Island (where you are pretty much on your own). Everything else is OK. The single blocking token on the locations puts the right amount of pressure on things with the outsource being a pricey pressure valve. We really liked it.

I'm torn on the 2-player market. I liked that it was player driven, but I do think if no one gets any cards that resets the market and the DNA is scarce due to some News cards, I may add a house rule in the future that the market is refilled in the upkeep phase if it's empty or only one card or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could you play a house rule for 2p where every round a certain number of cards in the DNA market slide into the discard pile and are replaced with new cards from the deck, a la Morels?

Curious to know of this would solve the problem because this game is basically my dream game, but I only ever play with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've toyed with the idea of changing the "use the DNA market" action in the town center so that you can discard the cards in the market and draw new ones. Putting the discarded cards in the Boneyard is tempting but I'm afraid of the card that gives you VP for cards in the Boneyard.

I've also toyed with the idea of making site B draw 3 cards, take 1, put one in the DNA market, and discard the third. Possibly getting a coin for putting it in the DNA market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pye
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I've also toyed with the idea of making site B draw 3 cards, take 1, put one in the DNA market, and discard the third. Possibly getting a coin for putting it in the DNA market.

I really like this idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
played first game last night with 2 players and yeah, the DNA market needs something. The City Center location loses a lot of value when the market is stagnant. Our game ended with only 1 card in the boneyard and only 3 cards that ever even wound up there. Also the Facilities tiles will get buried and stay buried since fewer people are buying them.

As for other two player observations: the board isn't very tight. Onlyy the Uplink and the Agenc had any competition for spots and Outsourcing means even one of those isn't hard to do. Basically, you will almost never have issues going to the spaces you want.

My wife sat on the Manipulation card "Strong Arm the Market" since it is based on the number of workers at the City Center which was only going to be 1 at best since she wasn't going to go there before playing the card. Seemed like in this situation, the blocking markers should have counted so that a card like this one has some value (speaking of the blocking markers, why wasn't text just printing on the board indicating certain spots were only for use in 3 or 4-5 player games?)

Two players works, but some things aren't as tight as they need to be and other things aren't as strong. Some balances fixes would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.