United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used these creations of mine in about 5-6 different games of Advanced Civilization (as difficult as it is to get a game of this on the table, I consider that a lot of playtesting). Players all liked the added variety of trade goods, both for the sake of variety, which aids in trading, and to help relieve situations where trade decks are depleted. The calamities were played several times, and all seem to not impact the game too severely; if anything, they are weaker than the ones already in the game.

The rules format is per the Advanced Civilization rulebook.

Comments and feedback are always welcome. Enjoy!

(EDIT: I discovered that my initial post was based off of my first draft of the Calamity rules. I have entered corrections that were made after playtesting.)

36. NEW TRADE CARDS

36.1 No special rules are needed to incorporate these new cards into the game. Just shuffle them into the trade card stacks as explained in paragraph 15.2 of the rules and start play. All current rules still apply (especially rule 28.52, "Different commodities, even of the same value, may not be combined into sets.").

36.2 There are 53 new commodity cards. The following table sets out the value and number of each commodity:

Value. Commodity--Number
1. Clay--7
2. Fish--7
3. Cotton--8
4. Wool--7
5. Coal--6
6. Livestock--5
7. Tea--5
8. Pearls--4
9. Silk--4

37. NEW CALAMITY CARDS

37.1 The following calamities are optional. They are added for variety and added suspense. All are tradable. They should not be used unless an additional set of trade cards (either duplicate sets, or a newly-created set [36.]) is also used.

37.2 Second level calamity: Rebellion

37.21 One city belonging to the primary victim is lost. This city is replaced by a neutral city belonging to one of the nations which did not start the game (for convenience, use the same units as for Barbarian Hordes and Piracy). The player trading the card selects the city.

37.22 If the primary victim holds Democracy, there is no effect.

37.3 Third level calamity: Uprising

37.31 Five unit points belonging to the primary victim are replaced with five unit points belonging to the player with the most unit points in stock (determined as per Civil War, 30.41). If the primary victim has the most units in stock there is no Uprising.

37.32 The beneficiary selects which units will be replaced.

37.33 If the primary victim holds Mining, the beneficiary selects an additional five unit points to be replaced.

37.34 If the primary victim holds Military, there is no effect, and the modification due to 37.33 is nullified.

37.4 Fourth level calamity: Corruption

37.41 Two cities belonging to the primary victim are reduced. The primary victim chooses which cities. In addition, one half of the primary victim's tokens in treasury (round up) are returned to stock.

37.42 If the primary victim holds Enlightenment, the number of cities reduced is decreased by one.

37.43 If the primary victim holds Theology, the number of cities reduced is decreased by one.

37.44 If the primary victim holds Law, the number of cities reduced is decreased by two.

37.45 If the primary victim holds Mining, the number of cities reduced is increased by one.

37.46 If the primary victim holds Coinage, the number of cities reduced is increased by one and three-fourths of the primary victim's tokens in treasury (round all fractions up) are returned to stock.

37.47 The effects of 37.42 - 37.46 are cumulative.

37.5 Fifth level calamity: Drought

37.51 The primary victim again resolves conflicts (24.), removes surplus population and checks for city support (26.). Treat all land areas occupied by units belonging to the primary victim as having a population limit one less than the printed value (minimum value of 1).

37.52 If the primary victim holds Agriculture, all land areas containing units belonging to the primary victim will have a minimum value of 2 for population limits.

37.53 The primary victim must also select five additional land areas, not containing units belonging to the primary victim, to undergo the events of 37.51. These areas must be adjacent to land areas occupied by units belonging to the primary victim before 36.51 is resolved.

37.54 If there are fewer than five additional land areas adjacent to areas containing units belonging to the primary victim, areas adjacent to those areas already selected may be subsequently selected, until a total of five land areas are selected.

37.55 If a secondary victim holds Agriculture, all land areas containing units belonging to the secondary victim selected for the secondary effects of Drought will have a minimum value of 2 for population limits.

37.6 Sixth level calamity: Dynastic End

37.61 The primary victim's nation is divided into two factions, as per Civil War, including all modifiers (30.41).

37.62 The primary victim then decides whether he will play the units of the first or second faction. Invert the units of the remaining faction; do not replace them with any other counters. The units of the remaining faction will not be counted, for any purpose, by the primary victim unitl the end of the following turn. Treat these units as a barbarian tribe until the end of the following turn. Turn all surviving, inverted units back over at the end of the following turn.

37.7 Seventh level calamity: Schism

37.71 Five of the primary victim's cities are reduced. The primary victim chooses which cities are reduced.

37.72 If the primary victim holds Mysticism, the number of cities reduced is decreased by one.

37.73 If the primary victim holds Deism, the number of cities reduced is decreased by one.

37.74 If the primary victim holds Enlightenment, the number of cities reduced is decreased by one.

37.75 If the primary victim holds Monotheism, the number of cities reduced is increased by one. In addition, the primary victim may not convert an adjacent area (32.941) this turn. Also, the primary victim may be selected for Monotheism conversion by other players this turn.

37.76 If the primary victim holds Theology, there is no effect on the number of cities reduced. However, the primary victim may be selected for Monotheism conversion by other players this turn.

37.77 The effects of 37.72 - 37.76 are cumulative.

37.78 If Monotheism converion (32.941) is conducted upon the primary victim this turn, the player holding Monotheism may then select a second area, also belonging to the primary victim, to be converted. This is done each time a player holding Monotheism converts areas controlled by the primary victim this turn.

37.79 If the primary victim holds Monotheism and/or Theology, only one area may be selected for Monotheism conversion by each player selecting areas controlled by the primary victim.

37.8 Eighth level calamity: Philanthropy

37.81 The primary victim may turn in a number of trade card(s) equal to the number of cities the primary victim has in play (EDITED FROM CARDS' VALUES EQUAL TO TWICE THE NUMBER OF CITIES). The primary victim receives nothing for cards turned in this way.

37.82 If the primary victim does not turn in trade card(s) per 37.81, the following effects take place:

37.821 All non-Art civilization cards have their values increased by five for purposes of purchasing only (for this turn). There is no effect on credits.

37.822 If the primary victim additionally holds Coinage, that player's minimum taxation value next turn must equal twice (EDITED FROM THRICE) the number of cities the primary victim has in play; this player may not use the benefits of Coinage next turn (only). Also, all non-Art civilization cards have their values increased by ten (instead of the normal five) for purposes of purchasing only (for this turn).

37.823 All tokens in the primary victim's treasury are returned to stock. The primary victim receives nothing for this.

37.824 All Art civilization cards have their values decreased by 5 for purposes of purchasing only (for this turn). There is no effect on credits.

37.825 Literacy, Mathematics and Mysticism are not considered Art civilization cards for purposes of Philanthropy.

37.9 Ninth level calamity: Complacency and Malaise

37.91 Ten areas belonging to the primary victim are selected by the player who traded him the calamity. These units are treated as per Dynastic End (37.62).

37.92 For each Art civilization card held by the primary victim, the number of areas selected is reduced by one.

37.93 For each Craft civilization card held by the primary victim, the number of areas selected is reduced by one.

37.94 If the primary victim holds Philosophy, the number of areas selected is reduced by five.

37.95 For each Science civilization card held by the primary victim, the number of areas selected is increased by one (EDITED FROM TWO).

37.96 For the purposes of resolving Complacency and Malaise:

37.961 Treat Engineering as only a Science civilization card.

37.962 Treat Mathematics as only a Science civilization card.

37.963 Treat Mysticism as only a Religion civilization card.

37.964 Treat Literacy as only a Civics civilization card.

37.97 The effects of 37.92 - 37.96 are cumulative.

[EDITED 9/28 to update Schism.]

[EDITED 12/11/09 to clarify Philanthropy.]

[EDITED 1/24/11 to correct Philanthropy clarification.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you put some work into that. I'd say that the #7 calamity seems a bit harsh, but the rest are quite interesting. What kind of effect did the additional trade cards have on the games?

You may want to fix the typo in 37.52 so that it say population instead of what it does right now.

Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Youells wrote:
Wow, you put some work into that. I'd say that the #7 calamity seems a bit harsh, but the rest are quite interesting. What kind of effect did the additional trade cards have on the games?

You may want to fix the typo in 37.52 so that it say population instead of what it does right now.

Good work!

Thanks. This was done years ago. I just re-discovered it in my Advanced Civ box, and figured the community could benefit from this.

Schism does look nasty at first. But when you consider that many civilizations will have at least 2 of the Religion civ cards, and perhaps 3, by the time this card comes around the first time, it's effects are greatly mitigated. Also, since the primary victim selects the cities to be reduced, it's unlikely Monotheism conversion from other players will claim another city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Theology effect Schism? Or if the Primary Victim has both Monotheism and Theology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
How does Theology effect Schism? Or if the Primary Victim has both Monotheism and Theology?

I must have missed that line when I copied the info from my original notes.

In short, Theology will not worsen or lessen the basic effects of Schism. A player with Schism may be affected by Monotheism from another player, even if they have Theology. However, Theology will still protect a player from Iconoclasm and Heresy, even while under the effects of Schism.

Editing my original post to reflect the effect of Theology on a Schism. Thank you for the catch, Phil. Let me know when you'd like to put these rules to the test with an actual game...maybe we can schedule a game during the next SCGD in November?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, Philanthropy doesn't make much sense to me conceptually. Still, kind of neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dspitzle wrote:
I have to admit, Philanthropy doesn't make much sense to me conceptually. Still, kind of neat.

Basically, you have to spend money up front before you are able to purchase Civilization cards at regular cost that turn. It's not very bad if you're only getting 1-2 cards, but if you're making one of those rounds where you pick up 5-6 cards at once, the penalty for not paying can be pricey. The discount on Arts reflects Patronage, often the result of Philanthropy.

Thanks for your comments. It's good to see that Lajos' GeekList is creating some new activity for this project of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the new calamities, with the exception of Philanthropy. So cards cost 5 more, who cares? A little bit tinker-y to me.

Schism is incredibly harsh, but I like it! devil Probably should be a level 9 calamity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
tinderfire wrote:
I really like the new calamities, with the exception of Philanthropy. So cards cost 5 more, who cares? A little bit tinker-y to me.

If a player has Coinage (a Civ card which many players tend to obtain), the effects can seriously hinder growth.

Quote:
Schism is incredibly harsh, but I like it! devil Probably should be a level 9 calamity.

Schism can be easily contained with the Religion Civ cards. Assuming you go in that direction with your Civ card acquisitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
tinderfire wrote:

OY! I've finally noticed what happened here. I didn't incorporate ALL of the changes in the Philanthropy calamity.

As I had it posted, it's very weak. That's because playtesters wanted to make the impact GREATER. I had originally had the trade-in equal the cards' VALUES equal to twice the number of cities. The playtest conclusion was to make it a QUANTITY of cards equal to the number of cities.

This correction has been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks similar to the ones that were adding in with the Expansion Project.
The ones that can hurt the most from there is Regression where if it hit you then you move back one space on the AST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coal seems a little out-of-period. I suggest changing it to Coffee or Marble.

Rebellion seems a bit too harsh for a level-2 calamity. It's like being a secondary victim of Piracy, but it can hit you anywhere! It could be a serious hindrance if it hits you early in the game.

Typo: 37.53 refers to 36.51. It should be 37.51.

It is not clear which of the Philanthropy effects happen when the primary victim gives up cards and which ones happen when he doesn't. As currently written, it seems 37.83-37.86 all happen regardless of whether he gives up the cards or not.

Schism seems a bit too harsh. I think Theology should still protect the victim, at least somewhat.

Over all, I like it. I especially like the way it improves some of the less useful advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marble would be best as Coffee is also fairly late and not an early Civilization traded good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Coal seems a little out-of-period. I suggest changing it to Coffee or Marble.

Rebellion seems a bit too harsh for a level-2 calamity. It's like being a secondary victim of Piracy, but it can hit you anywhere! It could be a serious hindrance if it hits you early in the game.

Typo: 37.53 refers to 36.51. It should be 37.51.

It is not clear which of the Philanthropy effects happen when the primary victim gives up cards and which ones happen when he doesn't. As currently written, it seems 37.83-37.86 all happen regardless of whether he gives up the cards or not.

Schism seems a bit too harsh. I think Theology should still protect the victim, at least somewhat.

Over all, I like it. I especially like the way it improves some of the less useful advances.

Thanks for the comments, Phil.

Rebellion is supposed to be that way. A quick hit. It shouldn't be too crippling unless someone's playing too tight.

The typo has been fixed.

37.83 is the only conditional, and I've corrected it to reflect that. 37.84-37.86 do indeed all happen regardless of the player's choice.

Theology does protect from Schism. A player suffering from Schism without Theology or Monothesim may be the victim of Monotheism conversion TWICE by the each qualifying opponent.

Of course, trade cards can be named anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there alink to download the new cards you made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
Is there alink to download the new cards you made?

I never printed cards of my own, just overwrote on an extra set of trade cards that I had ordered from Avalon Hill many years ago. The cards I have are something like 15 years old, made up long before such things were easily available to the public.

You may be able to make a mock-up set using the unused trade cards from Civilization (the ones taken out when mixing the Advanced Civ cards in). I don't recall if there are enough.

I hope you can try the variant some day. I'd love to hear some outside feedback, from people other than from a game I'm involved in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
37.83 is the only conditional, and I've corrected it to reflect that. 37.84-37.86 do indeed all happen regardless of the player's choice.

In that case, I can't imagine any reason why someone would turn in those cards. Keep the cards and buy Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

In that case, I can't imagine any reason why someone would turn in those cards. Keep the cards and buy Art.

How would you improve the calamity? Would you have those final 3 points come into effect only if the player does not discard the trade cards? It's been suggested by one person before, but only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

How would you improve the calamity? Would you have those final 3 points come into effect only if the player does not discard the trade cards? It's been suggested by one person before, but only one.

37.85 should take affect only if the player does not discard the cards. 37.86 should take affect only if he does.

Although, I'd probably scrap the entire calamity and come up with something other than "Philanthropy" as a calamity.

A long time ago, I came up with some of my own ideas about new trade cards, calamities, (and advances) which I'll post in a separate thread eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your comments, Phil. A bit more tinkering with the words, and I think I'm where I wanted it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do more trade cards make the trading sessions much longer?

I am not a fan of timing them although it definitely slows down the game at times. Most players kind of get to a point where they realize it is over and they can't really make any effective trades within about 10mins anyway.

Just curious what your experience has been play testing the new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
nexus1967 wrote:
Do more trade cards make the trading sessions much longer?

I am not a fan of timing them although it definitely slows down the game at times. Most players kind of get to a point where they realize it is over and they can't really make any effective trades within about 10mins anyway.

Just curious what your experience has been play testing the new ones.

Not from my experience. If anything, it allows for more players to find a set others aren't collecting.

However, that doesn't mean that your group won't run into impasses even with extra sets of trade cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.