10 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions, you Ancients fans! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
First of all, many thanxes!
I love CnC Ancients and when I asked questions here, you were all very helpful!

Well now I have CnC + Exp 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and I was wondering some... things!
Planning on getting a plano box for all my stuff. Is there a better option? Some dude used wood boxes from the dollar store. It looks nice, but plano boxes seem more ... tidy? to me.

Next : EPICS.

Soooooo I pretty much play 1 vs 1 since I'm in Quebec, Canada and not many people play (+the territory is HUGE so we're far apart). Should I invest in EPIC ancients. I heard it plays well enough 1 vs 1 (if the motivations there) but ... man... no second board in the 5th epansion... I don't understand. Wouldn't it be better for me just to get Napoleonics + epics expansion (i don't care if the map's not the same color) + ancients' 5th?

Are there many epic scenarios?

Finally... for the cards holders, I'd love to make some. Would a line in a block with a saw bench do the trick, or would it be too wide to hold cards?

My kid can't wait to play. He's four and he loooooves playing with the blocks (I know). Could I apply something on the blocks so the stickers don't fall... I kind of lacquer or something?

Thanks a lot anyways,
I love the community here, it's awesome, and I love the game!
Good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epics are really well played with 2 people.

They have different card deck and really, the game is different (hand management, as you can commit more cards but effectively "shorten" your hand later).

Really encourage you to try!

PS. You can always buy a separate board from GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I can answer for the card holders, but not the rest.

I've made dozens of card holders, using a table saw. I set the bench at about 20 degree tilt, and cut a groove at depth around 15mm. I then fold a piece of sand paper and slot it into the groove to remove any splinters or roughness that would damage the cards and then apply any finish with a brush. My saw blade cuts around a 2-3mm kerf which is fine for cards.

I also made block stands, similar to card stands. These are made using 3 cuts on the saw table. First a wide-based V-notch, and then cut off one side of the V to be a little lower than the other. Then blocks can stand on it, or cards almost as well as the card holders. Reply if you want some pictures and I'll find some to upload tomorrow.

[Edit] Ok - I decided to go ahead and take a pic right away and uploaded. The block stands are more useful for block wargames like Julius Caesar and Triumph & Tragedy where you need to manage your levy pool.

I've also included a tally stick, which helps make me feel more of an armchair general when I push the blocks around with it, but it's pretty impractical for most uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
KaYoUx wrote:
Finally... for the cards holders, I'd love to make some. Would a line in a block with a saw bench do the trick, or would it be too wide to hold cards?

I made these, not wood but quite easy to make:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love CCA and also have every expansion.
Yes, Epic plays well with 2 players, but I prefer it with 4 or 6.
I think it's a bit overwhelming with just 2 players.
The fast moving, ease of play that makes CCA so wonderful is largely sacrificed. The game, to me, shifts a little bit away from "fun" and a little bit toward "work."

So, for just 2 players, I find the regular (non Epic) scenarios preferable.

This is obviously a matter of personal preference!

I should add that there are times when I do indeed prefer to play CCA Epic - even with two players. But I need to be in the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KaYoUx wrote:
Are there many epic scenarios?

Hi Samuel,
here you can find a list of both official and unofficial epic scenarios.
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/component/tags/ta...

You can even play them online with Vassal if you mind.
Ale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
Worked in fine woodworking a bit when I was 20. Good work! I'll probably use some of your ideas and post back! Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to storage, the Plano boxes are very popular and do seem 'cleaner' as you suggest.

I started with baggies, went to Plano, and went back to baggies. I found myself working hard to pull individual blocks out of the Plano spots.

I use ziplock bags of various sizes and 'combine' infantry/cavalry where it makes sense. So all light troops and light cavalry go into a single bag (they're easy to find and easy to separate). Ditto medium infantry/Medium cavalry and heavies. Leaders and chariots go with smaller groups of units, depending on army (some have a very small Warriors group, for example.) And then it all goes into a large zip bag, so that I can 'toss' an army to the other side of the table. The zips let you dump or half dump troops out when you know you need a bunch. And everything goes into a 'tub' that holds all the bags, maps, books, terrain hexes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... multiple (discernible) troop types in the same baggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Poulin-Cailloux
msg tools
So, I bought some arts and craft plastic boxes at walmart (like 4$ a pop) et some foamcore. The boxes can hold two armies, dice and others tokens and fit in the box with the map and the book, so I guess I'll try and see if I like that before doing some foam core crafting. Thanks for all the propositions though. Pretty cool CnC Ancients community up here at bgg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls