Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says that you should read the italicised text aloud but doesn't say whether you should read the main effect of the card aloud. I'm wondering specifically about the event card...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Tick Tock

...where there is no die roll to keep secret. Does the first player to draw this card read the effect out loud? Does it make a difference depending on which option they choose on the card?

Confused because some cards explicitly state "do not read this card out loud", but unsure what to do when a card doesn't explicitly state this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all cards are public in their entirety unless the card tells you otherwise (and there are only a few of those).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Esteban-Garcia
msg tools
When playing normal betrayal, I insist on a house rule that the effects on event cards are not read aloud.
It adds a bit more tension to the game when you don't know all the possible outcomes.
Oh, and I also houserule that only the outcome that actually takes place is read aloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jack
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules actually state (At least in Betrayal Legacy) that you should not read the outcomes of the rolls on the card aloud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
(With the original and Balder's Gate versions too)
I've always houseruled that the player to the left of the turn taker reads their event card to them, it adds excitement as the player gets told what's happening to them and it means you stop reading when a dice roll happens and only read the outcome to the player.
It also means that the player who's turn is next is already engaged and paying attention and so already ready for their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.