Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
306 Posts
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Which of these abstract games do you think is most publishable? Why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
PSchulman wrote:
I still think bugs can work with bugs haha
I think this so strongly that I bought some cheap plastic ants to make a copy for.myself. they just arrived, it's late but I'll be paying some of them red and do a green (grass) or brown (dirt) board with irregular hexagons to give it a rustic look.

This is awesome! Although I'm a sucker for nature themes in games generally, and ants specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
PSchulman wrote:
I still think bugs can work with bugs haha
I think this so strongly that I bought some cheap plastic ants to make a copy for.myself. they just arrived, it's late but I'll be paying some of them red and do a green (grass) or brown (dirt) board with irregular hexagons to give it a rustic look.

I like your focus on unique, thematic components. Some feedback:
- I'd prefer something more tactilely satisfying... things that align and clank. Pucks. Stones. Hex blocks. Cylinders...
- I think having something more reminiscent of a classic abstract is important. Unique yet the same...
- As a fan of Hive, I'm sad to say that "bugs" turn off many potential fans. I think realistically shaped bugs would be particularly problematic.

Just a first impression though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kunkasaurus wrote:
- As a fan of Hive, I'm sad to say that "bugs" turn off many potential fans. I think realistically shaped bugs would be particularly problematic.
This was my first immediate thought as well. I've seen plenty of Hive forum posts about bug-phobic people creeped out by the printed bugs in Hive so much that they won't play the game, so I can only suppose that 3D miniature bugs would be even more of a turnoff for some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick

Here is some stuff you could think about regarding your games

https://www.nickbentley.games/bad-board-game-design-pitches/

As far as I see, none of them have anything uniquely awesome. It seems very hard to find that in a classic two player abstract. On the positive side, a very small number of published games actually have anything uniquely awesome.

I have played a couple of your games and enjoyed them a lot, and they certainly could be commercial successes. Looking at Santorini (or other succesful modern abstracts) it is tempting to think that the physical product is mostly what determines if it becomes a success. The game should of course also be good, but I am sure all these games are good enough.

So I would say, imagine what each game would look like in its final form and pick the one that looks the coolest.

Best of luck, I would be very happy to see one of these games perform well commercially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Hi Nick

Here is some stuff you could think about regarding your games

https://www.nickbentley.games/bad-board-game-design-pitches/

As far as I see, none of them have anything uniquely awesome. It seems very hard to find that in a classic two player abstract. On the positive side, a very small number of published games actually have anything uniquely awesome.
Yep! This is why I generally don't pitch them. I'd be ignoring my own advice. That said, I enjoy the challenge of trying to change that, succeed or fail. That's what this whole thread is for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, got time to color my ants. Also made a board thwt fits in a letter-sized paper.

I can see the game being sold as a small inexpensive abstract game in the $10 bucks price range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  |