Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NINJA SAMURAI

An entry for the: 2019 9 Card Game Print and Play Design Contest

Game Summary:
A little crazy battle between ninjas and samurais. Only 9 cards to kill all your enemies!

Spanish version: http://www.eximeno.com/game_NinjaSamurai.html
English version: http://www.eximeno.com/game_NinjaSamurai.html

Version:
1.2 17/03/2019 (typo corrections)

Number of players:
1-2

Approximated playing time:
5-10 minutes

Components:
9 ninja/samurai cards

Categories:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best 2-player Game
Best Written Rules
Best Low Ink Game Category
Best Card only game "no components"

Credits:
Designed by Santiago Eximeno
Pnp cards created with Nandeck.

Ilustrations:
>Samurai by Daryl Vandemont from the Noun Project
>Ninja by Hea Poh Lin from the Noun Project
>Katana by Ian Childers from the Noun Project
>Card by Dinosoft Labs from the Noun Project

Testers: Diego Aguado, Alicia Eximeno, Ferran Renalias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Ninja Samurai (2019 9-Card Game P&P Contest) [Idea Phase]
First idea for card illustrations. I'll use icons for the Noun Project. Each card has two sides (ninja and samurai) with the same action. Nine different actions (change two cards, remove a card, flip a card...) that give to the players different strategies through the 5-10 minutes game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on PnP public prototype. Working with NanDeck (what a marvellous application!), GIMP and several icons from Noun Project (fantastic resource!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PnP prototype finished. Rewriting rules (in Spanish). When I finish the rules book, I'll translate it to English. Web (to download rules and componentes) finished too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download Spanish version now!

http://www.eximeno.com/game_NinjaSamurai.html

English version soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Ninja Samurai (2019 9-Card Game P&P Contest) [Component Available Phase]
English rules and components available (in the same link).

I'll improve the translation in these days, I promise! (and add some examples and illustrations)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Ninja Samurai (2019 9-Card Game P&P Contest) [Component Available Phase]
Two little clarifications on the rules (about solo game and discarded cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed. A few too many games to play.

I made a version without the border on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Köhler
Netherlands
Hazerswoude-Rijndijk
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
I will print and try your game this weekend and give you feedback. I would like it if you would try my game and give me some feedback too. My game can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2157810/wip-thumbs-2019-9-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Santiago, I'm a volunteer assigned to check out your game - sorry it took a while to get to it.

I've only been able to play the game solo. A couple of thoughts for you:

1) You're supposed to mix samurai and ninja faces, but it never says how many of each. I'm assuming 4 of one, 5 of the other, but that might be a good thing to specify.
2) Some suggestions for cleaning up the grammar in the solo mode section (edits in bold):

In solo mode, the player shuffles the nine cards so that ninja and samurai faces are mixed. The player places cards randomly in a 3x3 display. The object of the game is to discard all cards. Movement rules are the same as in the two player game, but the level must be High. Game ends when the player can’t move a card or make an action. If the player can’t make an action, he loses the game. If he can’t move a card, he scores depending on how many cards are left in the table:
*2 or more cards: Sempai. Apprentice.
*1 card: Renshi. Teacher.
*0 cards: Kyoshi. Master.
*0 cards and Oni is the last card discarded: Hanshi. Great Master.

It's an interesting puzzle, thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for play Ninja Samurai!

Yo mix faces on a random mode, so it's possible that you play with 6 or 7 samurai (or ninja) faces.

And I'll fix the rules, thanks for your notes! English isn't my first language and I'm always learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yarince Dirkx
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Santiago,
I think you should change the last action in the table on p.2: "the player can not move a samurai or ninja card", if I understood correctly from the Spanish rules.

Furthermore, I was wondering what's the difference in difficulty, depending on the ratio samurai/ninja, because I felt playing games that were not possible to win (but it might be my fault).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Heiti
Canada
Sudbury
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

I had a chance to play 3 rounds of your game this morning (all solo). As a solitaire game, I was pleasantly surprised how much fun the puzzle was. Twice, I got to Renshi (1 card left, the ONI). It has that addictive aspect, that makes me want to keep going back to it. I love the use of icons on cards instead of text.

The English translation looks like it's still coming together, but it's definitely. As Yarince noted above, the final action on P.2 isn't clear as written. I had assumed, because the "X" icon matches the discard action icon above, that you were to discard a matching Ninja or Samurai card. Perhaps change the style of the "X" to a single slash "/" or something like that?

Just to be clear - with the solo game you deal all nine cards out in a grid, you don't place them one at a time?

I also wondered why the "swap two card positions" power was the same on both sides of its card, while all the other cards (minus Oni, of course) have differing powers on either side. I might change that one, too?

While I think it's nice that you've included a scaled difficulty (no powers, katana powers, all powers) I don't know if the middle step is necessary and removing the katanas could further simplify the graphic design (which is already nice and sharp!). I found it pretty simple to jump right in and just use the chart as reference.

This is definitely one I enjoyed and I'll be keeping it around to try the 2p mode with my gaming partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarince, Matthew, thanks a lot for your comments! This week I'll update rules with your corrections.

As you say, the final action must read "[..] not move [..]". I'll fix it, and I'll remove "X" icon in this action to avoid confusion with discard action.

With a ratio samurai/ninja 5/4 or 6/3 there are more possibilities to win the game playing correctly. But you can use two actions to fix the ratio: flip a card or return a discarded card. In theory all games are winnable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just updated English rules with your typo corrections.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.