Subject: Corrupting a Pyramid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the scenario:

Seth takes a Corrupt a Pyramid action and corrupts an alliance player's Pyramid that is at Level 1. Seth's Purple Pyramid is at Level 3.

The rules say: "Seth can buy a non-purple power tile, using the pyramids in the city of the alliance player but of a value not exceeding his purple pyramid level."

Is the level of the corrupted pyramid tile still considered, however? Even though my Purple Pyramid is at Level 3, can I buy a Level 3 non-purple tile when corrupting a Level 1 or 2 alliance pyramid, or must I respect their level as well?

The rules are vague on this point, but I'm leaning towards their level also having to be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kumpula
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Hey,

You corrupt their pyramid (you "own" it briefly) and buy based on its level (so corrupted lvl 1 white pyramid can always only buy lvl 1 white tiles).

Your purple pyramid just limits your ability to corrupt enemy pyramids and does not affect buying (thematically it allows you to corrupt pyramid but the enemy pyramid does the buying if that makes sense).

EDIT: THIS IS WRONG, CORRECT ANSWER BELOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alisdair McLeod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't think so. It appears that all that matters is the level of Seth's pyramid. So, if Seth is corrupting a pyramid, he can buy lower than or equal to the level of his purple pyramid - even if that level is unavailable for the Player that controls the pyramid. I refer to an answer given in the consolidated FAQ:
Quote:
How does the Night Purchase tile work?
Seth can buy a tile of any color. He resolves his power before the Alliance, including a Night power on the same Night Phase. Once Seth has a Level 4 Purple Pyramid, he can buy any available Power Tile in the game!
So, on reading the rules (I agree they are vague), there is no mention that he can only buy at the level his opponent has the potential to buy, and this answer seems to clarify the matter. Disclaimer: I don't know who gave that answer however; so I don't know whether it was a designer or not. Edit: I found a thread where one of the designers confirmed: Once Seth has a Level 4 Pyramid, he can buy ANY available power tile* I know that when I read the rules I thought to myself: So, if I'm playing as Seth, I want a Level 4 Pyramid ASAP. This is just one of the game-balancing advantages Seth has.

*This was something I meant to mention originally - there still needs to be a pyramid of that colour for Seth to corrupt. If Seth uses the yellow player's action token to corrupt a pyramid, and the yellow player has three pyramids: blue, white, and black; Seth cannot corrupt a red pyramid. Furthermore, for example, if NONE of the alliance has a red pyramid, Seth cannot buy any red power tiles. That's one way of stopping him getting Initiative
Also, when I say Seth can buy "any", I don't mean the alliance-exclusive tiles which Seth is not allowed to buy.

However, the converse is presumably also true: If an Alliance player has three level 4 pyramids, that player can buy any remaining purple tile; even if Seth's pyramid has not been raised to Level 4. This instance is highly unlikely but theoretically possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kumpula
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Wow you might be right. I thought that I have checked every rule ten times and still I get them wrong...

At this point I would pay for better rulebook.

Official answer would still be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alisdair McLeod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Official reply found (See edit in my original comment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kumpula
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you so much. Maybe we can together as a community figure out every rule correctly at some point..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timpula wrote:
Thank you so much. Maybe we can together as a community figure out every rule correctly at some point..
Hello,

Late to the party but very grateful for the community working together to clarify the rules! Well done Team Kemet

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls