DinoGenics» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions and Rule Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Wink
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I finally received DinoGenics last week and have been looking forward to playing. After digging through the rules, I played the first single player scenario last night. The scenario was a perfect introduction to how to play the game but I did have a couple of questions and concerns.

DinoGenics is similar to Dinosaur Island but has enough differences to be more than worth your time. Is DinoGenics better? I can't answer that yet until I a couple of group games completed.

Components: The game's components are high quality and beautiful. There are almost too many dino-meeples to count. The boards have nice cutouts and are high quality. The artwork is great. The game oozes with theme. There are a couple of weaknesses - first while the facilities have great artwork, it is hard to tell which facility is which due to really small text. It is easier to identify them by their graphics (which can be a little difficult until you get some experience). This is compounded by the fact that the facility reference is in the middle of the rulebook. With each facility having a unique impact on the game, it would have been nice to have a hand-out. The rules are a little confusing - no where in the rules does it explicitly state that the DNA Market doesn't refill. There is a FAQ that addresses potential questions.

Gameplay: Both DinoGenics and Dinosaur Island are worker placement games. Unlike Dinosaur Island, DinoGenic's dinosaurs actually have a major impact on game play. Each dino has different needs - carnivores need goats to eat or else they rampage and some dinos require more space than others. Secondly - through manipulation cards, you can directly affect the other players (for example: Misdirection allows you to reposition up to three opponent workers to empty action spaces.....and then basically re-use your worker). There is one rule that concerns me since it could lead one person to dominate. Player order is determined by which park has the most reputation (the more dinos and facilities the more reputation). That player goes first and typically gets more visitors (i.e. $). Since I haven't played a group game, I don't know much of an impact that is in practice but it does worry me.

Single Player: There are 10 single player scenarios. I played the first one, Raptor Escalation. You have a partially completed park with 5 raptors, a watchtower and hotel. You have 4 turns to get as many points possible. Making things difficult is that you only have 3 goats available in the farm so it will be very difficult to avoid a raptor from rampaging. I was able to get about 135 points but was unsure of a rule. It was a good scenario to figure out how the game plays -- the breaking news deck caused me more trouble than I expected and it took me a couple of turns to figure out how to breed dinosaurs (see above about the market). It was a great experience that is a sneak preview on how much fun playing with my group should be.

Questions:
1) Do you get the VP value of your facilities at the upkeep phase or only at the end of the game. For example: The Petting Zoo is worth 2 VPs...when do you get them?
2) For Private Screening: Are the VPs you gain based on the # of dinosaurs or the # of different species. For example: In the Raptor Scenario I only had the 5 Raptors (2 Rep Each) - do I get 2 or 10 points?

I really like Dinogenics. It plays differently from Dinosaur Island in a good way. They complement each other. Can't wait to play with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Petting Zoo VP: The bonus at the top of the tile happens during the upkeep phase of every round. The number in the bottom right is only given once at the end of the game during final scoring.

Private Screening: Choose up to three dinosaur species (not dinosaur meeples) in your park. Add their reputation values together and get that many victory points. It’s the different species you want to look for.

So if you had a T-Rex, two triceratops and a stegosaurus the most you could get would be 6 VP.

If you had a two T-Rex a stegosaurus and a pterodactyl you could get 9 VP.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Dinosaur Island vs. DinoGenics, see this recent thread https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2139431/how-does-compare-di...

I like both games very much. They have identical themes and they're similar in weight, but they play very differently. It's certainly not true that all the dinosaurs in DI are the same. At least I don't think so. Follow the above link to read the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see multiple people stating that this is different from DI. I like the game a lot, and hope it's successful, and sells to every DI owner that wants more Dino action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Division013 wrote:
Single Player: There are 10 single player scenarios. I played the first one, Raptor Escalation. You have a partially completed park with 5 raptors, a watchtower and hotel. You have 4 turns to get as many points possible. Making things difficult is that you only have 3 goats available in the farm so it will be very difficult to avoid a raptor from rampaging. I was able to get about 135 points but was unsure of a rule. It was a good scenario to figure out how the game plays -- the breaking news deck caused me more trouble than I expected and it took me a couple of turns to figure out how to breed dinosaurs (see above about the market). It was a great experience that is a sneak preview on how much fun playing with my group should be.

I played the first scenario recently and it bored me to death. Maybe I played it totally wrong, but using Farm+Outsourcing it was super easy to have all the goats I needed. I had tons of money, did not breed a single dinosaur, did not play a single card, did not build a single building. Every round was the same; get goats, remove scandal, get money, repeat.
I hope that the other scenarios are more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first mission is just a quick tutorial and is designed to teach some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
Division013 wrote:

I played the first scenario recently and it bored me to death. Maybe I played it totally wrong, but using Farm+Outsourcing it was super easy to have all the goats I needed. I had tons of money, did not breed a single dinosaur, did not play a single card, did not build a single building. Every round was the same; get goats, remove scandal, get money, repeat.
I hope that the other scenarios are more interesting.

How did you remove scandals AND always enough goats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every round I used Farm + Agency + Outsource + Ferry.
Did I make a rules mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volthor Volthor
msg tools
In the first scenario, the agency is not available : there are 2 obstruction token to be put on its slots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Volthor wrote:
In the first scenario, the agency is not available : there are 2 obstruction token to be put on its slots

I'm not seeing that. The scenario only says to block an extra Farm space.

Dienes wrote:
Every round I used Farm + Agency + Outsource + Ferry.
Did I make a rules mistake?

I don't remember it being that simplistic, but it is a bit of an intro scenario and only lasts 4 seasons. You should be getting enough money from the hotels to pay for outsourcing each round so no reason to do Ferry. And of course, selling DNA will probably get you more money and allow you to do another action at the City Center (buy another hotel, etc).

I do remember buying fences and building at least one other dino. With visits to the Agency every round, I think you are likely to get Fresh Meat and other helpful cards so it's less scripted than just Farm+Agency+Outsource. I think I got a Goat Farm actually so with the Watchtower I didn't need outsource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.