Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 31 Clarification [Spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuting
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
***SPOILERS***

I was the traitor on this haunt and had a disagreement with my group. I don't have the book in front of me, apologies, but in the traitor's rule book it states something along the lines of you're doing mental damage even if it was a Firearm or mental damage at range. The way I read it is that the Night Mare can defend against Firearms at range (even from shooting through doors within the house) and one of the other players read it as it can only defend against mental damage at range but not Firearms because it would have said "Firearm at range or mental damage at range."

I was hoping Rob or someone could clarify whether the Night Mare can defend at range (whether a tile away or from within the house)? Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Normally all attacks are defended with two caveats 1) if the target doesn’t have the stat to defend with, the attack can’t happen, 2) defending against an attack from another room can’t hurt the attacker.

I don’t know the details of this haunt, but a few posts indicate that the nightmare not only defends at range, but caveat #2 doesn’t apply to it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30973311#30973311
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neff
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
nychii wrote:
***SPOILERS***

I was the traitor on this haunt and had a disagreement with my group. I don't have the book in front of me, apologies, but in the traitor's rule book it states something along the lines of you're doing mental damage even if it was a Firearm or mental damage at range. The way I read it is that the Night Mare can defend against Firearms at range (even from shooting through doors within the house) and one of the other players read it as it can only defend against mental damage at range but not Firearms because it would have said "Firearm at range or mental damage at range."

I was hoping Rob or someone could clarify whether the Night Mare can defend at range (whether a tile away or from within the house)? Thank you.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Nightmare deals mental damage when it successfully defends, regardless of the attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Imadjinn wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Nightmare deals mental damage when it successfully defends, regardless of the attack.


To answer the OP: yes it defends.

Can it damage someone attacking from another room? I couldn’t find a definitive answer on the forums.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you! If the agreement is that it can defend at range then it would also (by what the traitor’s book stated) cause mental damage if it wins the fight.

For example, I was fighting against a speed based firearm used from within the house. My assumption is that I would defend against the speed roll with a speed roll and if I win, I would do the difference in mental damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Another thing about this haunt, It seems odd that the heroes attacks become weaker, and the nightmare never suffers any damage until it's killed.
In the heroes book it says that putting the sacred items under the nightmare makes it weaker, but we didn't see how it affects the nightmare.

So our attacks become weaker every time we use an item to fulfill the winning condition (because we lose it), but the nightmare is still strong as before.
Also, it might even be a impossible win, cause if you don't have all the sacred items / omens, you can't win.

Is this haunt meant to be this hard?
It seems that each sacred item/omen that is put on the nightmare, should arm it in some way, like taking 1 dice of it's attack..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nychii wrote:
Thank you! If the agreement is that it can defend at range then it would also (by what the traitor’s book stated) cause mental damage if it wins the fight.

For example, I was fighting against a speed based firearm used from within the house. My assumption is that I would defend against the speed roll with a speed roll and if I win, I would do the difference in mental damage.


This was how we played it and it's what makes sense to me from what's written in the Traitor's book
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.