Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Fiedler
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 games each with 5 players and every game we've run out of parts. Maybe it's due to inexperience and my group playing sub-optimally but we keep running out either goats, fences, scandal tokens or money.

Anyone else have this problem?

Goats- 3/3 games we've run out at certain times. People seem to stockpile them during mid game.

Scandal tokens- 2/3 games we've run out. If certain breaking news cards appear it wasn't unheard of for 2-3 scandal tokens to be created per turn. Also in a 5 player game once everyone has all their workers sometimes you have to take a space with a scandal token (boneyard or Agency) because everything else is full.

Fences- 1/3 games we've run out. This might be due to the 5 fences for $1 breaking news card, but we were 2 fences short in the last round.

Money- 2/3 games we've run out. The last 2 seasons if people couldn't make any dinos they would sell off Brontosaurs or T-rex to make some money for VP's.

**Edit**- looks like we’re playing wrong regarding the Agency location and scandal tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grenard
msg tools
publisher
Merman_Pops wrote:
I've played 3 games each with 5 players and every game we've run out of parts. Maybe it's due to inexperience and my group playing sub-optimally but we keep running out either goats, fences, scandal tokens or money.

Goats- 3/3 games we've run out at certain times. People seem to stockpile them during mid game.

Scandal tokens- 2/3 games we've run out. If certain breaking news cards appear it wasn't unheard of for 2-3 scandal tokens to be created per turn. Also in a 5 player game once everyone has 5 workers sometimes you have to take a space with a scandal token (boneyard or Agency) because everything else is full.

Fences- 1/3 games we've run out. This might be due to the 5 fences for $1 breaking news card, but we were 2 fences short in the last round.

Money- 2/3 games we've run out. The last 2 seasons if people couldn't make any dinos they would sell off Brontosaurs or T-rex to make some money for VP's.

Goats, Money and Scandal tokens are indeed considered to be an unlimited resource, and I could see you running out in a 5 player game. How short were you? We may try to make adjustments if we can find spare space on the punchboards in future versions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Merman_Pops wrote:

Scandal tokens- 2/3 games we've run out. If certain breaking news cards appear it wasn't unheard of for 2-3 scandal tokens to be created per turn. Also in a 5 player game once everyone has 5 workers sometimes you have to take a space with a scandal token (boneyard or Agency) because everything else is full.

Just one clarification here, the Agency allows you to discard a scandal, not take one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Merman_Pops wrote:
Also in a 5 player game once everyone has 5 workers

In a 4-5 player game, isn't the starting count 3, with an increase to 4 workers? Is there a point where players in a 4-5 player game will receive a 5th worker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fiedler
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Merman_Pops wrote:
Also in a 5 player game once everyone has 5 workers

In a 4-5 player game, isn't the starting count 3, with an increase to 4 workers? Is there a point where players in a 4-5 player game will receive a 5th worker?

You're right we played that wrong the 1st time. We started setting up for 3 players and then 2 more people joined so we forgot to reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran out of fences in our 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fiedler
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goats we were normally around 4-5 short, Money around $10, fences 2-3 and scandal 2-3.

Sounds like we played a few things wrong regarding scandal tokens so that probably isn't an issue but everything else we seemed to be following the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fiedler
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnine wrote:
Merman_Pops wrote:

Just one clarification here, the Agency allows you to discard a scandal, not take one.

Ok we played that wrong. That would have helped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Merman_Pops wrote:

Goats: If you are stockpiling them THAT MUCH when they aren't needed it sounds like you are playing sub-optimally.

Money: Again.. playing sub-optimally I would think. Money (from my experience) is to be spent in this game. It's worth points but most times the value is increased if you spend it.

Fences... I have only played 3&4 player games but no one ever bothered to fence in their entire area (due to brontosauruses & buildings) so we never even came CLOSE to running out.

Out of curiosity what were your scores in these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In two 5 player games, we didn't run out of anything. Got down to 1 or 2 scandal tokens though. Probably should have been a couple of more, as we didn't hit back to back bad events, but I could see it happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Mentor
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We came close to running out of fences in our 5 player game. Having an extra 9 fences would ensure everyone could have taken that action.
Money wasn't an issue for us. The goats were fine, as only a few dinosaurs actually have to eat them. However, I could see that after the event that made you put a mutant in your park, everyone would now be seeking at least 2 goat a turn to populate more.

The biggest issue we had was the lack of biodome tokens. There are only 4 to potentially draw in the bag, yet if you don't have it, you'll never be able to contain Pterodactyls, which means they are worthless cards.
We played a 5 player game and a biodome token never appeared. It would be nice to have like 4 more to increase the odds (and viability) of playing Pterodactyls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
yrnotyrkhakis wrote:
The biggest issue we had was the lack of biodome tokens. There are only 4 to potentially draw in the bag, yet if you don't have it, you'll never be able to contain Pterodactyls, which means they are worthless cards.
We played a 5 player game and a biodome token never appeared. It would be nice to have like 4 more to increase the odds (and viability) of playing Pterodactyls.

The designer has stated that Pterodactyls are quite worth it even in a normal pen. They will likely just break a fence which is easy to repair. If they eat a visitor, it's still a net positive in points. They have the highest reputation too (4). Something I'm going to try on my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Never shy away from building Pterodactyls even if you don’t have biodomes.

Risking rampages is worth it unless you also have a brontosaurus. The cards also sell for 4 credits which is worth two full hotels of visitors or better than one worker assignment at the ferry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
yrnotyrkhakis wrote:

The designer has stated that Pterodactyls are quite worth it even in a normal pen. They will likely just break a fence which is easy to repair. If they eat a visitor, it's still a net positive in points. They have the highest reputation too (4). Something I'm going to try on my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fiedler
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Merman_Pops wrote:

Goats: If you are stockpiling them THAT MUCH when they aren't needed it sounds like you are playing sub-optimally.

Money: Again.. playing sub-optimally I would think. Money (from my experience) is to be spent in this game. It's worth points but most times the value is increased if you spend it.

Fences... I have only played 3&4 player games but no one ever bothered to fence in their entire area (due to brontosauruses & buildings) so we never even came CLOSE to running out.

Out of curiosity what were your scores in these games?

High score is normally in the range of 180 with most of the scores between 110-150.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.