Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hidden number rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojciech Kosicki
Poland
Gdynia
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

i was wondering if I have to be on the map tile with my explorer when i swap the map tile with "the hidden one" or I can swap it as soon as I spot it regardless if the explorer is actually standing on the map tile.

Any ideas? Thx.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to be on the card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thadcar wrote:
You don't need to be on the card.

The flavor text on exchanged cards pretty much implies you actually are on that location. So I would say that you need to be there, but you are allowed to shortcut it if you planned to go on that tile anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Irrgang
msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
thadcar wrote:
You don't need to be on the card.

The flavor text on exchanged cards pretty much implies you actually are on that location. So I would say that you need to be there, but you are allowed to shortcut it if you planned to go on that tile anyway.

You read the flavour text of a location when you reveal the card after handling the grey card, which is already before you actually move to the location.

One reason I'm sure the rules don't specify that you need to be standing on a card to replace it with the hidden number is that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not all hidden numbers are on terrain cards in the first place
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Kosicki
Poland
Gdynia
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Especially for the spoiler note. Now I'll examine thoroughly everything I get in my hands! Can't wait!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the hidden numbers section of the rules I’m pretty sure it says you draw the card as soon as you spot it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
If you read the hidden numbers section of the rules I’m pretty sure it says you draw the card as soon as you spot it.
Yes, but it makes thematically no sense: you were at a place and then go away and then remember that there was something you could investigate and do that from a mile away.
We played that you can only reveal when you're on the map tile which either has the number it or is connected to a permanent event with the number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
By replacing the card, you don't investigate what you suddenly remember seeing there. In the exemples I remember, you just unlock the possibility of investigating what you suddenly remember.

And to investigate (which is an action), you'll need to go back to the card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't think it actually matters one way or the other. The secret number almost always unlock something which you can only interact with if on that tile, so most of the time you don't really know what you actually discovered until you physically go back to that tile and use that action. So while I feel that thematically you should be on that tile to "use" that number (the flavor text "you notice something under that bush" or similar is silly if you are on the other part of the island), I would have no issues with someone simply switching the tile with the exchanged one without anyone being there. After all, this game already involves "teleportation" which I find thematically much more problematic than somehow discovering a secret on a place you are far away from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Kosicki
Poland
Gdynia
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
If you read the hidden numbers section of the rules I’m pretty sure it says you draw the card as soon as you spot it.
Yes, but it makes thematically no sense: you were at a place and then go away and then remember that there was something you could investigate and do that from a mile away.
We played that you can only reveal when you're on the map tile which either has the number it or is connected to a permanent event with the number.

I know what the instruction says, but for me it didn't feel thematically consistent to be somewhere else at the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kosic wrote:
txnull wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
If you read the hidden numbers section of the rules I’m pretty sure it says you draw the card as soon as you spot it.
Yes, but it makes thematically no sense: you were at a place and then go away and then remember that there was something you could investigate and do that from a mile away.
We played that you can only reveal when you're on the map tile which either has the number it or is connected to a permanent event with the number.

I know what the instruction says, but for me it didn't feel thematically consistent to be somewhere else at the time.

You think back at your experience in a place you left and you remember a detail and realise you should have paid more attention to it when you were there. Alternately, you notice a peculiar minor detail from a distance, before you actually arrive to the place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Kosicki
Poland
Gdynia
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:
kosic wrote:
txnull wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
If you read the hidden numbers section of the rules I’m pretty sure it says you draw the card as soon as you spot it.
Yes, but it makes thematically no sense: you were at a place and then go away and then remember that there was something you could investigate and do that from a mile away.
We played that you can only reveal when you're on the map tile which either has the number it or is connected to a permanent event with the number.

I know what the instruction says, but for me it didn't feel thematically consistent to be somewhere else at the time.

You think back at your experience in a place you left and you remember a detail and realise you should have paid more attention to it when you were there. Alternately, you notice a peculiar minor detail from a distance, before you actually arrive to the place.

Good point. Now I'm comfortable with both ways as long as they are thematically explainable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not really matter. Do what feels right for your game experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Howe
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
lcdata1701 wrote:
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!

I cannot think of any instances where finding the number and swapping would be detrimental.

...But I would not put that past the clever devils that made the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
even if it would change something negative (what I don't believe) you can always get the other tile back, as the finding isn't stored over a save
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
lcdata1701 wrote:
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!
Yes, I've been in situations where the hidden number was detrimental (slightly, and in a different situation it may have been slightly helpful instead).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafaella wrote:
lcdata1701 wrote:
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!
Yes, I've been in situations where the hidden number was detrimental (slightly, and in a different situation it may have been slightly helpful instead).

Well if a hidden number reveals a hidden path which leads to a possibly dangerous event then I think it might be considered "detrimental".

Most of the time though it's either helpful or has little to no effect (i.e. you opened a shortcut to where you already were and have no intention of going back).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaella CG
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Rafaella wrote:
lcdata1701 wrote:
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!
Yes, I've been in situations where the hidden number was detrimental (slightly, and in a different situation it may have been slightly helpful instead).

Well if a hidden number reveals a hidden path which leads to a possibly dangerous event then I think it might be considered "detrimental".

Most of the time though it's either helpful or has little to no effect (i.e. you opened a shortcut to where you already were and have no intention of going back).
Not what I meant. No number spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't remember numbers, but there was a number that added a resource to the terrain, but also made it harder to leave. Since I had nothing to craft with the resource it cost me a card, if I had something to craft it may have saved me a couple cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
most what I've seen they either give you the option to do more or make something cheaper or give you a resource
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Howe
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Rafaella wrote:
lcdata1701 wrote:
On a related note since I've not started playing the game, is there ever any reason *not* to swap a card with the hidden number if you see it, or should you always do it? For instance, is it always an additive thing to that tile, or is something swapped/removed? Feel free to spoiler tag respond if needed. Thanks!
Yes, I've been in situations where the hidden number was detrimental (slightly, and in a different situation it may have been slightly helpful instead).

Well if a hidden number reveals a hidden path which leads to a possibly dangerous event then I think it might be considered "detrimental".

Most of the time though it's either helpful or has little to no effect (i.e. you opened a shortcut to where you already were and have no intention of going back).
Ok, cool, that's kinda what I was looking to figure out, and it seems there's really not a great reason *not* to pull in a hidden number. Sure there may be a bad consequence, but no more than exploring any other new region might be. Thanks for the insights! Hopefully I'll be able to get this to the table this summer to start the adventure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgy wrote:
You read the flavour text of a location when you reveal the card after handling the grey card,...

Sidebar: it's not always "just" flavor text. Card backs often have rules, some of which can leave a Curse in an unwinnable state if they're not followed. Been there, done that. Always, always, always read the back of every card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls