Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Wasserman
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
We had a couple of questions come up while playing this haunt.

Can the traitor pick up 10" poles that have already been placed under the contraption? Are they still considered items on the ground, or are they safe there?

Can the hunter attack the bright light aliens with non-speed weapons? The hunter player argued that since he could attack with his speed, and the aliens only had speed as a stat, that he could make his attack against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
jareddm wrote:

Can the traitor pick up 10" poles that have already been placed under the contraption? Are they still considered items on the ground, or are they safe there?

Can the hunter attack the bright light aliens with non-speed weapons? The hunter player argued that since he could attack with his speed, and the aliens only had speed as a stat, that he could make his attack against them.

1. I would say you cannot pick up the poles that are part of the array, since it seems like it basically becomes part of the contraption token once it’s placed, but objects cannot be stacked as stated by a future user. Honestly, I would consider it to be a house rule of whether you can or can’t take from the array.

2. The only rule stated in the book (which isn’t contradicted by this haunt) is that you cannot attack with a trait that the opponent doesn’t have.
Even though the Hunter attacks with Speed, using this calling card makes the defender defend with MIGHT, which the aliens don’t have, so you are not able to use this calling to attack the aliens.

This is coming from a long time fan of Betrayal, so this is my best interpretation of the rules. If anyone else has input I won’t take my opinion as fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neff
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
jareddm wrote:

The poles are objects, so the traitor can interact with them as though they were objects. That includes picking them up and dropping them.

Important to note, however, that objects to not form item piles, so the traitor would only be able to use the PICK UP action once a round to pick up one pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
Quote:
Yes, the hunter can make a speed attack against the Aliens, but since the traitor book specifically says "The Aliens are never stunned" an attack against them wouldn't do anything.

This doesn't seem right. That aliens can be attacked, in fact that's the only way to affect them. They just can't attacked by anything except Speed only attacks and weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wasserman
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm...so we ruled that the runes were no longer objects once they were underneath the stack, and that the hunter could not attack the aliens, because the hunter specified that they had to defend with might, which the aliens didn't have.

However, it seems there's some conflicting opinions on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
jareddm wrote:
However, it seems there's some conflicting opinions on this.

At this point, it's best to decide unanimously on a rule to use if you ever get back to this haunt. The rulebook mentions conflicting rules, and that you should just decide the best solution as a group because they expected things to become unclear due to the nature of Legacy games and Betrayal as a ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Neff
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
MisterMetroid wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the hunter can make a speed attack against the Aliens, but since the traitor book specifically says "The Aliens are never stunned" an attack against them wouldn't do anything.

This doesn't seem right. That aliens can be attacked, in fact that's the only way to affect them. They just can't attacked by anything except Speed only attacks and weapons.

You're correct here. Sorry, I only had my traitor's tome open. I'm editing my response above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.