Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been invaluable in the past, so I'm looking for another recommendation.

Any recommendations for a Valentine's Day-themed game for a group of 2nd graders? It needs to be something that can play 4-5 at a time, less than 10-15 mins, if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Eat Poop You Cat, only renamed something like "Eat Candy You Cherub." Valentine's-themed sentence is written, pass to left, draw, etc., all in a circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter is cheap and can play 4 at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
How about Eat Poop You Cat, only renamed something like "Eat Candy You Cherub." Valentine's-themed sentence is written, pass to left, draw, etc., all in a circle.

This is a great party game. And while I think this suggestion would be great for adults, I foresee serious issues trying to get multiple groups of 7-8 year olds playing this game independently. It can be very difficult to keep all the papers in the proper sequence, even with adults. With multiple groups of second-graders it could be nearly impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Childers
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Love Letter, and grab some cheap heart shaped tokens from the Dollar Tree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Another +1 for Love Letter. We just got it, and we have been playing it a ton with my pre-schooler and 1st grader. They love it, and it has been cool to see how quickly they pick up on trying to guess cards based on the body language and comments of others and trying to obscure cards by keeping a poker face. It has also introduced my 6 year old to counting cards. When she plays a guard, she runs down a list of everything that has been played before making a guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

This is a great party game. And while I think this suggestion would be great for adults, I foresee serious issues trying to get multiple groups of 7-8 year olds playing this game independently. It can be very difficult to keep all the papers in the proper sequence, even with adults. With multiple groups of second-graders it could be nearly impossible.

If that's the problem, you could always pick up Telestrations which has little flip boards to keep everything in sequence, and give the kids valentines themed words to start with instead of using the die or words in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathryn D
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be hard to find but Hearts of Attraction is a fun quick game. It’s also semi-educational at that age as magnet play hasn’t necessarily happened yet. Each player gets a heart shaped magnet and heart shaped magnets are placed randomly out on the table, players take turns sliding their magnets across the table to pick up as many other magnets as they can with some being attracted and other repealed based on polarity. Game play ends when all magnets have been gathered the one with the most magnets win. Simple easy to grasp concept, fits the theme and quick game. The kids I’ve played it with usually want to play again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid with Love Letter the group might be too big. That potentially could be tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closing the loop on this: Love Letter was a great pick. I had very actively assist and explain, and essentially had to play for some of the kids, but on the whole it was a hit. My son said the kids spent all day talking about how fun it was and planning out strategy for next time.

So thanks once again for the suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.