Popular Tags: [View All]
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Our son loves his boardgame to a point where he wants to play them alone when we parents don't have time for it. And while he has no trouble making up ways to play multi-player games alone, I wonder if there are some games that we can play with 2-3 people as a family, but that also offer a solo-mode so he can play alone when he wants to.

Some of the games that are popular with him:
Memoarrr!
My First Stone Age
Wizardry to the power of three
Bugs in the Kitchen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mmm!

Maybe SOS Dino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 5yo. She adores playing My Little Scythe with the family.
I'm not sure if she's ready for the solo mode just yet, but I don't think it will be long before she is ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Outfoxed!
and
The Lion Guard: Protect the Pride Lands
are both co-ops that can easily be played solo. Pridelands is particularly good for this, since there are no player pawns--you just draw a card, choose a good guy to move from the pictures, and move the pictured bad guy. My 5-year-old has been really into soloing this for the past week (though she may be getting creative with the rules). It is more of a solo game that can be played co-op than a co-op that can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ginsbu
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
As an alternative to The Lion Guard game, PJ Masks: Team of Heroes. It’s essentially the same. Solos perfectly.

Karuba is easily adapted to solo play of the beat your score variety. It’s a nice option, especially if you already own the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas. We do have SOS Dino, actually, but it's a bit of a pain to set up with all the volcanoes and mountains and Mmm! was thoroughly rejected at the last SPIEL as too boring.

Outfoxed and Lion Guard seem like the best fits for now. I think games longer than 30 min might be a bit much for him for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second Outfoxed and Mmm! Such good games! My other suggestion would be Leo, it's the most loved game in our household, the mechanisms are similar to Memoarrr! - but actually I think Leo is the better game, the theme is so lovely, both my daughter and my son love it. Outfoxed, Mmm! and Leo are the most played games in our household when it comes to kids. 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter liked Whoowasit? when she was five and you can play this solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robot turtleswould be a good one, can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, I've seen Robot Turtles, and as a programmer myself I'm tempted, but it's so darn expensive.

And he's nearly old enough to start programming BASIC anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
My daughter liked Whoowasit? when she was five and you can play this solo

+1

I guess you could do every coop childrensgame. Whoowasit came to mind first as well. Maybe also Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters and The Mysterious Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remembered she also liked rush hour/rush hour jnr to play on her own but I suppose more of a logic/puzzle type game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely recommend Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters, but also My First Castle Panic, coming out in about a month. We showed it to our 4 year old and he was off and running to play it solo within 5 minutes!

You might also give Mmm! a try. This one will be more interesting for the adults (it's a press-your-luck / puzzle), but definitely approachable (no reading, turns are short, etc.). My kids will play it with me but don't seem too interested to play it on their own (at least the younger ones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.