Subject: like DungeonQuest but simpler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a 4-year-old who is helping me play Secrets of the Lost Tomb by rolling the dice and helping to count the modifiers. She love the dungeon crawl/story aspect, rolling the right number of dice, and counting up successes. (Sorry for me, she tends to roll 1's...) Anyhow--

She also loved DungeonQuest, particularly the modular aspect and moving onto a tile and understanding what the tile does.

Obviously she's not 'playing' these games but she's engaged with the components and certain mechanical aspects of the play.

Can someone recommend a simpler game with these elements:

--fantasy (can be kid fantasy, of course)
--modular board/tile placement as part of the game (i.e. 'exploration')
--dice, preferably lots of them and ideally custom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
My grandkids love Escape: The Curse of the Temple, and while it's not classic fantasy (more of an Indiana Jones vibe) it fits the bill for a dynamically growing board and lots of dice rolling. The young ones love playing it without a timer (and particularly excluding the downloadable soundtrack - too scary for my littlest buddies). It works particularly well because the child can have their own adventurer and roll their own dice. Helping is key to success, so giving and receiving advice seems natural and lets them feel like an equal partner.

Stick with the basic tiles (there are advanced ones in the box that add a bit more complexity) and I think your little one will want to play again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Lopes
msg tools
mbmbmb
If(actually, when) you want to move her up a notch to proper roleplaying, you can try combining any of the components you already have with Amazing Tales. It's a great introduction to RP for really younger kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a strictly speaking a board game, but for the dungeon crawl/story aspect No Thank You, Evil may be a good fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Syanide
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Growing poster child, or: Why all 4 year olds should get MAX (by Family Pastimes)
mbmbmbmbmb

Great kid fantasy games (no dice though): Troll trail and Caves & Claws

All of 2 "custom" dice and not really fantasy (unless trying to rescue a bird, a squirrel and a mouse from a cat counts): Max. I really really recommend it though, I think every 4yo should get to play Max (check my avatar).

All three are co-op, the way to go at 4.

Finding good games to really play with a 4yo is hard. I've spent countless hours on the geek searching, and posted many a sighful comment in design contests about this, trying to encourage people to create for this age. Non-fantasy games I had success with at 4 are the free PnP Co-op Train Game (ugly as *meep* but a great success with lots of kids, go figure), and Viva Topo!.

It's now 5 years since I shopped games for a 4yo though, and I've seen out the corners of my eyes that there are new ones since then, but I don't know them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
I've got a 4-year-old who is helping me play Secrets of the Lost Tomb by rolling the dice and helping to count the modifiers. She love the dungeon crawl/story aspect, rolling the right number of dice, and counting up successes. (Sorry for me, she tends to roll 1's...) Anyhow--

She also loved DungeonQuest, particularly the modular aspect and moving onto a tile and understanding what the tile does.

Obviously she's not 'playing' these games but she's engaged with the components and certain mechanical aspects of the play.

Can someone recommend a simpler game with these elements:

--fantasy (can be kid fantasy, of course)
--modular board/tile placement as part of the game (i.e. 'exploration')
--dice, preferably lots of them and ideally custom

I’m sure you can make good use of Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Brick Wars family for some ideas with LEGO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you for some great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor K

Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out Dungeon!
and 5-Minute Dungeon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregrrr wrote:
Funny you suggest these —thanks—as I had just started thinking Dingeon! might be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (fourth edition)?

You're building a labyrinth with a hand of tiles and navigating it to find gold. Some rooms have special functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon looks a bit scary for her right now but good to know aboutnfor the future. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape with the basic rules. Just get a rise of the valkyrie master set and you are all set. Counting spaces and rolling and calculating dice. Nothing else to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up getting Dungeon! Realized after two turns that I’m better off playing my games with her and modifying them significantly. In turn two of Dungeon!, a troll made her drop the magic sword she got on turn 1 and she burst into tears. LOL (but I felt bad for her). She won’t go near the game now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try The Siblings Trouble maybe - you don't have a board but cards to explore and my daughter liked it back then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest something cooperative. Some of the games don't look as shiny as the new stuff, but Family Pastimes has several that we've loved...even with a 4 year old. The one I'd recommend is Princess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! I can’t believe I didn’t think to ask about RPGs for kids! Me of all people... I will check these out and post over on rpggeek too. I already do this with her with my RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Doolan
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Basics Podcast please give us a listen. A father and 9 yo
mbmbmbmbmb
We found a kids rpg on drive through rpg. It's called Hero Kids and we have really enjoyed playing it. I would definitely suggest giving it a go. It is fairly inexpensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, saguy, Hero Kids looks great and easily adaptable for my needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
My grandkids love Escape: The Curse of the Temple, and while it's not classic fantasy (more of an Indiana Jones vibe) it fits the bill for a dynamically growing board and lots of dice rolling. The young ones love playing it without a timer (and particularly excluding the downloadable soundtrack - too scary for my littlest buddies). It works particularly well because the child can have their own adventurer and roll their own dice. Helping is key to success, so giving and receiving advice seems natural and lets them feel like an equal partner.

Stick with the basic tiles (there are advanced ones in the box that add a bit more complexity) and I think your little one will want to play again and again.

Thank you for this tip! Don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but my copy of Escape with home-made colour-coded dice trays has never seen so much play. My 4-year-old daughter loves it.

My favourite part is when she deliberately sets all her dice to black so she can shout "help me, I'm stuck!"

Her review: "めちゃめちゃ楽しい!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
my copy of Escape with home-made colour-coded dice trays has never seen so much play.

But if you use a dice tray, how are you meant to get the most out of the curse where if a die falls off the table it is lost? Or even not using curses, just the mad scramble on the floor to get it back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
my copy of Escape with home-made colour-coded dice trays has never seen so much play.

But if you use a dice tray, how are you meant to get the most out of the curse where if a die falls off the table it is lost? Or even not using curses, just the mad scramble on the floor to get it back?

Works fine if the penalty is for dice that bounce out.

In my regular games, introducing a requirement that players tap "used" dice outside the tray on the table prevented all used/not used confusion, and regulated dice rolling nicely. The default game rewards rushed rolling so much that people inadvertently getting multiple uses of a die and not really rolling them at all had been a consistent problem.

This is all way off topic though. When playing with my daughter, she mostly places dice directly on icons to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.