Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Christian Freeling - Dances with Snakes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb

This is following a request in Stephen's AiAi announcements thread but it is a bit off topic there while it is totally off topic here. But at least you get to know me a bit in my natural habitat. It starts at 2.26 and it's in Dutch of course.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The automated YouTube translation was very handy. As I understand it, you were talking about animals, I think.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
majormajor wrote:
The automated YouTube translation was very handy. As I understand it, you were talking about animals, I think.
What was your first clou?

And yes, getting a relationship with a dog is easy. With a raccoon dog it's difficult, even if you bottlefeed it from day one, as I did.

And snakes? The little ones are relatively dangerous, but not life threatening. I've been grabbed six or seven times in the last ten years and it's annoying and bloody and it makes you feel stupid for letting it happen.

But Carolientje makes that on at least half a dozen occasions during the day I must be totally focused on the here and now. It's playing with Murphy's Law. If she grabs me I could be dead in three minutes. But I need those moments because I tend to think about something abstract, while doing something that requires attention. That's a recipe for accidents.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This made my day! It's really cool to see you more fleshed out than is possible via image and text alone. You're way more spry than I imagined you! You look like a man with a good 15 years of game design left in you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
This made my day! It's really cool to see you more fleshed out than is possible via image and text alone. You're way more spry than I imagined you! You look like a man with a good 15 years of game design left in you
Thank you, but I've been released now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
This made my day! It's really cool to see you more fleshed out than is possible via image and text alone. You're way more spry than I imagined you! You look like a man with a good 15 years of game design left in you
Thank you, but I've been released now.

Ha, I like the phrase "released." Sometimes I too feel like the prisoner of the urge to create. These.design.ideas.will.not.leave.me.alone.

(This is not to pass judgment on the quality of my design ideas. It's just to say that they sometimes seem unavoidable, despite my efforts to focus on other things -- like my job, say. Sigh).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
christianF wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
This made my day! It's really cool to see you more fleshed out than is possible via image and text alone. You're way more spry than I imagined you! You look like a man with a good 15 years of game design left in you
Thank you, but I've been released now.

That's what you said before Storisende and Chess+ !
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
majormajor wrote:
christianF wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
This made my day! It's really cool to see you more fleshed out than is possible via image and text alone. You're way more spry than I imagined you! You look like a man with a good 15 years of game design left in you
Thank you, but I've been released now.

That's what you said before Storisende and Chess+ !
I've said it long before that and it was inevitable to begin with so at some point it became true. I invented because it was a vehicle to get me through life without problematic interaction with the locals. No-one expects anything from an old excentric, so nowadays it's less of a problem. The climate change helps, ominous as it may be in the bigger picture. No winters to speak of and long hot summers. Great to sit in front of the house under a large sunshade, keeping an eye on the snakes in the front garden, smoking pot and listening to Dylan, Bowie, Queen, the Grateful Dead and lots of others, most of them actually dead.
It almost feels as an achievement.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This makes me think of the cherry trees of Lucullus...

(A few days ago I read an Esperanto poem "La ĉerizarboj de Lucullo" by Baldur Ragnarsson, apparently inspired by Greek poems by Cavafy. It was about the Roman general who retired and enjoyed his garden...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
russ wrote:
This makes me think of the cherry trees of Lucullus...

(A few days ago I read an Esperanto poem "La ĉerizarboj de Lucullo" by Baldur Ragnarsson, apparently inspired by Greek poems by Cavafy. It was about the Roman general who retired and enjoyed his garden...)


Yes, I feel quite the same. cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
And snakes? The little ones are relatively dangerous, but not life threatening. I've been grabbed six or seven times in the last ten years and it's annoying and bloody and it makes you feel stupid for letting it happen.

But Carolientje makes that on at least half a dozen occasions during the day I must be totally focused on the here and now. It's playing with Murphy's Law. If she grabs me I could be dead in three minutes. But I need those moments because I tend to think about something abstract, while doing something that requires attention. That's a recipe for accidents.
Always wanted to ask you this: why is it worth it to have an animal that would kill you if it caught you off guard?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
luigi87 wrote:
christianF wrote:
And snakes? The little ones are relatively dangerous, but not life threatening. I've been grabbed six or seven times in the last ten years and it's annoying and bloody and it makes you feel stupid for letting it happen.

But Carolientje makes that on at least half a dozen occasions during the day I must be totally focused on the here and now. It's playing with Murphy's Law. If she grabs me I could be dead in three minutes. But I need those moments because I tend to think about something abstract, while doing something that requires attention. That's a recipe for accidents.
Always wanted to ask you this: why is it worth it to have an animal that would kill you if it caught you off guard?
It's the very point. It forces me to be on guard, in the here and now so to say, on at least half a dozen occasions every day. It's a form of meditation. Thinking or having thoughts (not quite the same thing) is natural for me but having your mind and body thus disconnected can lead to accidents if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. Which is quite often the case, the consequences usually reaching no further than a charcoaled pizza or forgotten laundry in the washer. So having the occasional thoughts at Carolientje's is ok, but thinking is dangerous. The answer is already in the way you put the question: I don't have Carolientje, I live with her. And I know people who strangle one another without any snakes, so everything is relative.
So are my chances if she grabs me. I've been grabbed six or seven times by pythons between 8 k. and 30 k. and never felt my life threatened. Painful, annoying, bloody and stupid yes, but I can handle it. Never tried a 50 k. one though and I have no plans in that direction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
luigi87 wrote:
Always wanted to ask you this: why is it worth it to have an animal that would kill you if it caught you off guard?
It's the very point. It forces me to be on guard, in the here and now so to say, on at least half a dozen occasions every day. It's a form of meditation. Thinking or having thoughts (not quite the same thing) is natural for me but having your mind and body thus disconnected can lead to accidents if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. Which is quite often the case, the consequences usually reaching no further than a charcoaled pizza or forgotten laundry in the washer. So having the occasional thoughts at Carolientje's is ok, but thinking is dangerous. The answer is already in the way you put the question: I don't have Carolientje, I live with her. And I know people who strangle one another without any snakes, so everything is relative.
So are my chances if she grabs me. I've been grabbed six or seven times by pythons between 8 k. and 30 k. and never felt my life threatened. Painful, annoying, bloody and stupid yes, but I can handle it. Never tried a 50 k. one though and I have no plans in that direction.
:)
No half measures, I see. To each his own!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb

Nature inventing the wheel, couldn't resist
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Or nature inventing spiral bread?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Great similarity! laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb

Well here it is, I thought burmese pythons were viviparous and that Lowietje was a male. Now I actually got her as a female and I named het 'Lotje'. Then, later, she didn't look all that female so I rechristened her 'Lowietje' which is a not so common male name derived from 'Louis'.

This clears up various matters, back to Lotje.

I already wondered why she wasn't interested in rabbits. Now I have to learn to babysit little burmese.

Some easter eggs!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb

It's very silent at the moment. I've had six open challenges at AiAi online for a couple of weeks now without response, which is ... well, you tell me.
To be fair, in terms of time, taking care of the menagerie takes up more of it nowadays than taking care of my oeuvre. It's becoming a more detached relationship.

Carolientje is steadily growing and despite her docile character I have to be very careful and observant. Like when playing a game. Only here you can die for real.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls