Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked last week if the design team could create a glossary to explain/clarify key terms in the game. So we did.

There are two spoiler tags for terms that appear after Chapter 5.

There is a third tag around blacken.

If we need to add more terms and/or clarify the existing terms, I will edit this original post.

=============================================================

ACTION: Actions are different from moves. Each turn, a player has action to all the actions on cards in front of them, their family board, tiles they visit, and that the haunt provides. Each action word may only be used once per turn, and each item can only be used for one action each turn. Actions words are written in ALL CAPS.

BURY: To place a card or tile at the bottom of its deck/stack. There are no discard piles in Betrayal Legacy. All cards are buried instead of discarded. All event cards are buried unless otherwise stated.

BLACKEN:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
To cross out a crest completely, removing it from the game. Any blackened space does not exists in the game. It is not a blank space that can be refilled.

CORPSE: When a player dies, they leave a corpse. Leave the figure tipped on its side on the tile where they died.
Inhabitants also leave a corpse. Turn their token over to its dead side.

DESTROY: To permanently remove from this chapters and all future chapters of play. The piece is no longer needed and may be literally destroyed if you like.

DISCOVER: To find and place a new tile to the board. Symbols on tiles (Omens, Items, Events, and Inhabitants) are only triggered when a tile is discovered.

HEAL: To return a trait below starting back to starting. You return to starting even if you are carrying items or omens that give a boost to that trait.

IN THE HOUSE: On any discovered tile, including outside.

LAND: A subset of Otherworlds cards.

MOVE: At the start of your turn, you get moves equal to your current Speed. If your Speed goes up or down during the turn, you do not gain or lose moves. You use one move to go to an adjacent tile. If you draw a card from any deck of cards, you lose your moves for the turn but you do not lose your actions. At the start of the turn, as long as you don’t lose your moves due to a tile effect, you may always move to an adjacent tile, regardless of the number of obstacles.

OBSTACLE: Obstacles cause you to use more moves when leaving a tile. Each small obstacle causes you to use one extra move and each large obstacle causes you to use two extra moves.

ON YOUR TILE: Some haunts give you a bonus or penalty for items/omens being “on your tile”. This includes items that are physically in an item pile and items carried by all players on that tile.

OTHERWORLDS: There are four subtypes to the Otherworlds cards: Land, Curse, Item, and Event. They all work slightly differently.

REGION: Basement, Ground Floor, Upper Floors, Outside. There are four regions in the game. Each has a Landing, marked with an L.

RETURN [x] to the box/out of play: To put a component in the vacuum-formed tray. It does not return in this chapter/game but is available at the start of the next game, if needed.

SET ASIDE [x]: Count out x tokens (it’s usually tokens) to form a limited pool for this game. For example, “set aside 8 small monster tokens” means that eight monsters are available out of the 20 tokens. The other 12 are IN THE BOX and out of play.

STACK:The pile of tiles. Stack refers to tiles only.

TILE: A room. Since there is an outside region, the term “tile” is used to mean “room”, even outside. This leads to some confusion as a tile is also a physical piece in the game so the term gets a bit shady sometimes. That is our dumb mistake.

THE TOMB: The area under the vacuum-formed tray. Anything in the tomb stays there until the game tells you to get it. It is not returned to the next chapter.

USED (Item): Items or omens that are used are turned sideways (tapped). This happens after an action word is applied to them. Used items become unused at the start of the turn of the person who is carrying them. Used items cannot have actions performed with them (including DROP, GIVE, and TAKE).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Carpenter
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication Class of 2012
badge
"There are only two things I love in this world: everybody, and television" - Kenneth Parcell, 30 Rock
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for typing this up. One thing: I've finished Chapter 6 (in two sessions! We started Saturday! This game is bingeable.) and there is a non-spoilered word in the Glossary that I have not encountered yet and that I was surprised to see. I'm not upset about it or anything, but maybe it should be spoilered?

That word is BLACKEN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you fir this!
Can I suggest to add Corpse? We found an item early on that referenced them but it was three games later until we realize that players become corpses when killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Add “ADJACENT: tiles are adjacent if they are physically next to each other and connected by a doorway”

In ACTION fix this typo “a player has action to all the actions” should be “a player has access to all the actions”

TILE: i would combine it with ON A TILE or reference it.

“SET ASIDE” add “...to be used in the game...” two friends thought it meant “don’t take...”

“STACK:The pile of tiles.” should be “STACK:The pile of room tiles.” I’ve seen a couple question where there was confusion about what s tile was.

Chapter 6+ spoilers

“IN THE HOUSE” is the otherworld in the house? I’m guessing no, but “outside” being in the house makes me unsure. If not, how about “IN THE HOUSE: on a tile, or carried by someone on a tile”

REGION: what region is a hero in if he is in the otherworld?

“TILE” love the self-depreciation. Is there a way to say it that clarifies whether or not Otherworld cards are tiles/rooms or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Add “REACTION: a hero or traitor ability that is triggered whenever a condition is true, regardless of who’s turn it is.”

In “ACTION”, “Each turn...” should be “On a hero’s turn...” Examples are also helpful “Common actions are ATTACK, DRINK, PREPARE”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmacvicar wrote:
In “ACTION”, “Each turn...” should be “On a hero’s turn...” Examples are also helpful “Common actions are ATTACK, DRINK, PREPARE”

Wouldn't "On an explorer's turn..." be a better word choice? You're excluding the traitor, otherwise. Though frankly I think the "Each turn" phrasing works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
KogarashiKaze wrote:
mmacvicar wrote:

Wouldn't "On an explorer's turn..." be a better word choice? You're excluding the traitor, otherwise. Though frankly I think the "Each turn" phrasing works fine.

Yes! I was terminology for all characters, but we need to include monsters to.

“Each turn...” implies you can take actions on someone else’s turn. Apologies for not clarifying my reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would you also include a definition for "EVERYONE"?

There is an Item that contains a reference to an action that is to be applied to "everyone". We weren't sure if monsters or Inhabitants were included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stealthpup wrote:

There is an Item that contains a reference to an action that is to be applied to "everyone". We weren't sure if monsters or Inhabitants were included.

Rulebook, page 4

KEY TERMS
Everyone: Each player, monster, or other
inhabitant of the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cudabgg wrote:
stealthpup wrote:

Rulebook, page 4

KEY TERMS
Everyone: Each player, monster, or other
inhabitant of the house.

Ye cats! How did I miss that? :sad_face:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.