Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all my 4 plays, the player who has created a brontosaurus in pre season has won.
Is this common or just a coincidence.
No fences or goats required, just a lucky card draw.
Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
In al my plays, the player who has created a brontosaurus in ore season has won.
Opinions?

Never had anyone successfully pull that off in pre season with us. Usually people are rushing to get a low cost dinosaur first round to get some points but it's hard to create a brontosaurus. Are people selling brontosaurus DNA right away and allowing this player to grab enough DNA? I'm always careful selling good DNA early in the game. Sure I get more money but it also means my opponent gets easier to grab DNA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Konupcik
Czech Republic
Ostrava
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
It sounds to me like your group didn't mix DNA cards well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelo_Vestieri wrote:
It sounds to me like your group didn't mix DNA cards well.

Theres a manipulation card can give you a brontosaurus if you have 1 of it’s set by discarding x dna cards.
This has happened, also happened where a player has been able to get 4 bronty dna.
Ps
Yes of course they were shuffled correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:
keighleyrob wrote:
In al my plays, the player who has created a brontosaurus in ore season has won.
Opinions?

Never had anyone successfully pull that off in pre season with us. Usually people are rushing to get a low cost dinosaur first round to get some points but it's hard to create a brontosaurus. Are people selling brontosaurus DNA right away and allowing this player to grab enough DNA? I'm always careful selling good DNA early in the game. Sure I get more money but it also means my opponent gets easier to grab DNA.

There’s a manipulation card where you discard x dna cards and create a Dino of x but need at least one of the correct dna cards.
This has happened twice in pre season.
Also twice, a brontosaurus was created using 4 bronty dna, though one cost 2 scandal tokens and 2 money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just coincidence. There’s so many other things that happen in the game, it’d be hard to tell why they won without more detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Just coincidence. There’s so many other things that happen in the game, it’d be hard to tell why they won without more detail.

That’s what I thought but just wanted to find out if it had happened to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One tip: if you’re losing, play riskier to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Hynönen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
There's definitely some luck involved when drawing your starting DNA cards.

I think that having DNA Theft manipulation card at hand when someone creates valuable dinosaur, like Brontosaurus, is better. I know the effect is at mercy of a die but it hasn't failed so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grenard
msg tools
publisher
If someone gets an early bronto, play risky and get scandals. Then just discard the scandals and get manipulation cards, you're virtually guaranteed to end up with something that will even the odds.

DinoGenics really doesn't punish scandals as much as you'd think, unless it's the last turn of the game. Visitors, especially oddly numbered ones, are literally worthless. If you have 3 visitors, you do not need to care that the unpenned Pterodactyl just ate a person. That's just an excuse to go get good manipulation cards next round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
The brontosaurus is good but it is only worth one more point than a raptor and takes twice as much DNA to make. Getting it out in the pre-season through standard set collection or DNA Splice effectively empties your hand of all your DNA cards which can set you back in season 1 & 2 if your opponents grab up all the spots at site A fast enough.

Also consider that they are a bit of a ticking time bomb. If any other dinosaur in your park ever breaks free, it will also rampage and since it is not fenced, it is going right for your facilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
In all my 4 plays, the player who has created a brontosaurus in pre season has won.
Opinions?

Yes that’s exactly what happened in both my 2 plays of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played once, got a bronto out in the first season (not the pre-season) and won, but I don't think the bronto itself was a huge factor. I took a scandal to get it and yeah, the cards you get when dumping scandal are powerful. One of them cloned a dinosaur and gave me another scandal, so I was definitely using those cards more than the other players, and I made sure I always had plenty of money for when I did want something.

But I only had the one bronto by the end of the game alongside something like four mutants, two ankylosaurs, a raptor, and a building that generated VPs per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldfenix wrote:

DinoGenics really doesn't punish scandals as much as you'd think, unless it's the last turn of the game.

In our 5-player games, Scandals were extremely important. People gained them because they had to be competitive, and the spot to remove them was highly contested in the last few rounds. Most of the time player were stuck with scandals at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
I've only played one real multiplayer game, but I quite liked the Mutant opening:
- City Center - buy fences to enlarge your pen. (I was last so had $$ for a hotel as well.)
- Farm - get goats
- Dinogenics - Make a Mutant
- Then during upkeep feed the goats to get another mutant.

You end up with Dino value 4 which is comparable to Brontosaurus 5. Now your rep is 0 (vs 2) but I would say it's more important not to fall behind in VP, and this can be done no matter what you're dealt. Every round, you have the option to feed if you can't work out a better plan.

(I was helpfully pushed into this strategy as my first Manipulation card was get 4 goats and the upcoming News card was everyone place a mutant, so I figured go Mutant from the start.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Mutants are a great equalizer if you start to fall behind. New players tend to avoid them but they are nearly as good as a Triceratops and easier to build off from since once you have one, you can replicate them. If you happen into a Fresh Meat card as well they are also a great target to get a bunch of meat resource and bonus DNA cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnine wrote:
Mutants are a great equalizer if you start to fall behind. New players tend to avoid them but they are nearly as good as a Triceratops and easier to build off from since once you have one, you can replicate them. If you happen into a Fresh Meat card as well they are also a great target to get a bunch of meat resource and bonus DNA cards.

Can each mutant replicate once per feeding phase or can you only get one mutant each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
It's each mutant you had at the start of the phase. The Addendum on pg15 states this, though a bit indirectly:

Quote:
Question: Can the same mutant be fed more than once per round?
Answer: No, each mutant can only be fed once per Season. Additionally, mutants placed by the Monstrous trait must wait until the following Season to be fed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Each mutant can replicate once. The mutants created by that replication cannot be fed until the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.