Subject: Thoughts about the PC version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The PC version is currently on offer on Steam and I was just wondering what the current feeling is about this version. I know that on initial release it was buggy and garnered quite a bit of negative reaction. How are things with it now following a couple of patches? - I would be interested in it mainly for single player v the AI.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it on release and had it refunded after about twenty minutes. It was extremely buggy (including many incorrect implementations of the rules), the AI was terrible, etc. Really disappointing.

Looking at the updates, some of the rules issues look like they've been fixed. I doubt that the AI has gotten any better at playing the game though.

Other complaints - including the visual representation of the units - I could take or leave really, but the above were deal-breakers for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I think even GMT suggested people to wait before buying... And they have not suggested the opposite since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. The AI is not great, but on the highest setting it provides an enjoyable casual opponent. Most bugs with the rules have been fixed, the remaining are not worse than what I do when playing the real board game

The visual representation is quite different from the board game, you might want to see for yourself if you like it, can live with it, or not.

I suggest trying it, Steam offers refunds (but check their current conditions on refunds, my last one was over a year ago), so apart from invested time you will not lose anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Is it multiplayer, or just vs AI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
Is it multiplayer, or just vs AI?
When starting a match you can select human or one of three AI levels for each of the two players, so:
- human vs. AI (any level)
- AI (any level) vs. AI (any level)
- human vs. human

But human vs. human is only local/hotseat multiplayer, I haven't played this, so I don't know how well the currently inactive player is encouraged to look away before displaying the unplayed cards and how well First Strike works in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oh, if it's not non-local multiplayer then that's a total killer for me. I've heard the VASSAL version is good though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
Oh, if it's not non-local multiplayer then that's a total killer for me. I've heard the VASSAL version is good though?
Yes, VASSAL (http://www.vassalengine.org/) with the CCAncients module (http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module%3ACommands_%26_Color...) is great, but as the real boardgame it does not enforce the rules, which may be good or bad, depending on your (and your opponent's) level of experience.

Alternatively use Wargameroom (http://www.wargameroom.com/downloads.htm), which does not look as good (see e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wxz3UlDSTs), but enforces rules.

For more fancy 3D graphics of the board you could buy Tabletop Simulator (on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator..., currently on 50% sale until February 11th) and use one of the free C&C Ancients modules from the Steam workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the most recent VASSAL module looks great (almost 3d blocks) and includes ALL the official scenarios, plus most of the unofficial ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the PC version and periodically try to play scenario. Unfortunately, tons of bugs are still there and it is completely unplayable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
I have the PC version and periodically try to play scenario. Unfortunately, tons of bugs are still there and it is completely unplayable...
Sorry to hear that. Are you referring to bugs in the implementation of the rules (I consider those which I've seen as minor), or is there anything else, like game crashes? I think I had one crash, but after restarting the game I was able to continue at that point without problems, but maybe I'm confusing this with another HexWar title (Battles of the Ancient World).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
mk20336 wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Are you referring to bugs in the implementation of the rules (I consider those which I've seen as minor), or is there anything else, like game crashes? I think I had one crash, but after restarting the game I was able to continue at that point without problems, but maybe I'm confusing this with another HexWar title (Battles of the Ancient World).

I am referring to rules implementation. I would need to get to the game and list them so you would see some of them are not so minor. Next time when I feel like playing I will definitely do a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
I am referring to rules implementation. I would need to get to the game and list them so you would see some of them are not so minor. Next time when I feel like playing I will definitely do a list.
You don't need to create a list for me, I believe you when you say it is a deal-breaker for you, even if it was OK enough for me.
But if you can send this list to the developers, either using the Steam forum or email (and maybe a copy to GMT Games) this would be very helpful, as it could be considered for further bug fixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes what Thomas said. I'm not asking to do it Michal, because I understand it can be a very tedious exercise, but the feedback from a veteran player of the physical game should be very useful for the developers. I mean, if they are really committed to improving the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will do it You have motivated me guys