Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Give it at least two months to arrive before worrying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience anything that isn't in a USPS "standard size and non-rigid" envelope can be significantly delayed. The most delayed items I have sent have all been in a "CD mailer" - perfect for promos, but being square and somewhat rigid they don't suit the USPS automated sorting machines. Shape and rigidity seem to baffle the USPS ...

It's a sad fact that international mailing is getting more and more problematic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
In my experience anything that isn't in a USPS "standard size and non-rigid" envelope can be significantly delayed. The most delayed items I have sent have all been in a "CD mailer" - perfect for promos, but being square and somewhat rigid they don't suit the USPS automated sorting machines. Shape and rigidity seem to baffle the USPS ...

Woow
And I send all as letter in bubble envelope (from Slovenia we can send up to 2 kilos box, let we say Ticket to Ride SIZE and even bigger, as a letter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2017, I sent a package on Feb 24th from the US. It contained 2 promos and was a hair too large for a non-machinable letter and I got hit with the $13 first class parcel shipping (Catan the River was the culprit).

That package didn't arrive in the Netherlands until June 8th.

Relevant historical post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my last promo from Brazil today, so I'm all finished!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Palagyi
United States
Hebron
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Have you heard? The bird is the word.
mbmbmbmbmb
tadej1986 wrote:
enoon wrote:

Woow
And I send all as letter in bubble envelope (from Slovenia we can send up to 2 kilos box, let we say Ticket to Ride SIZE and even bigger, as a letter)

My promo from Slovenia arrived yesterday. Almost 2 months to make the trip as it was mailed on March 12. Arrived in fine shape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eieiowen wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:
enoon wrote:

Woow

My promo from Slovenia arrived yesterday. Almost 2 months to make the trip as it was mailed on March 12. Arrived in fine shape!

Thanks for feedback.
I am happy to see that a few promos now arrived in US too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eieiowen wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:
enoon wrote:

Woow

This is why I tell people not to push the panic button too early.

Thanks for passing this on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a picture from somebody (outside math trade). Thats why I use bubble wrap envelope.

This time I send in regular envelope end it arrived in US in 2 weeks. But I think it is better to wait for 2 months and get promo as it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
tadej1986 wrote:
I just got a picture from somebody (outside math trade). Thats why I use bubble wrap envelope.

This time I send in regular envelope end it arrived in US in 2 weeks. But I think it is better to wait for 2 months and get promo as it should be.

Its unfortunate, but most bubble mailers are too thick to be sent from the US as a letter and instead are upgraded to a "parcel", costing 5-6x as much.

That said, I use plastic mailers and put one or two pieces of cardboard inside to protect the item being traded (along with an interior plastic sandwich/snack back). That way I can still ship for ~$2.50 as a "non-machinable international letter".

I also try to stamp with a "do not bend or fold" stamp I had custom made for sending out promos whenever possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The important things are to sandwich and secure* such a tile between two thin sheets of card (eg cereal box) about the same size as the regular envelope and tape the edges (fold over) of the envelope.

That stops the tile(s) from moving around and/or piercing through the folded edges of the envelope. It also affords some protection against the bending/pressing shown on that tile.

Having said that, sadly nothing can sensibly protect against the worst abuses of mechanical sorting or manual handling

* put inside sleeve, fold sleeve*, tape folded sleeve roughly in the centre of one of the sheets of card.

* to stop tape/tile contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In the US, I don’t think a custom do not bend stamp would do anything. But paying 15 cents to make it non machineable makes sure it won’t go through sorting machines.

For tiles like Carcassonne I would put it in a rigid premium top loader and pay the extra 15 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Callahan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tadej1986 wrote:
eieiowen wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:
enoon wrote:

Woow

Thanks for feedback.
I am happy to see that a few promos now arrived in US too

Received mine in Florida today - patience IS a virtue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.