Hide
9 Posts

Battle of Britain» Forums » General

Subject: Is the game well balanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hart
msg tools
Just played my first game, having played the TSR 1990 version several times. I like it very much and the production quality is very high and playablility has been improved, but I still have reservations about game balance between RAF and Luftwaffe. My opponent had many successful and partially successful missions against my cities and radar and despite my best efforts to throw awful dice and shoot myself down many times, I was very surprised when we counted the VPs that I was the clear winner. I thought that allowing the German player to choose missions AFTER squadrons had been allocated (many players seem to be doing this) and allowing both players to choose (from drawing from the top of the deck Group/Flotte by Group/Flotte) which planes would be allocated to which flight would even it out and eliminate the randomness from the original TSR game. I am not aware that anybody has tried this, but I think this did work well, but there seems to be two problems:

1) German side does not get enough VPs for successful/partially successful bombing and RAF repairs/reinforcements are too easy (eg one roundel to immediately repair radar)?

2) German movement is too easily hampered by intercept (which forces immediate halt and thus effective loss of one fuel token) and blocking by RAF. This particularly hampers long distance targeting. It seems more hazardous for fighters to fly home than engage in combat.

Does pre-sorting the mission cards really work? Why would Germany start a mission on turn 4, if it penalised by giving every unfinished mission card to the British player at the end of the game? Any other thoughts or suggestions about game play? Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Pellegrino
Italy
Palermo
Sicilia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never won with Germans, I have loose every game with no more than 60% of the English points. It has no sense to play a game you cannot win, or no sense to play a game you surely win (with English side)

Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prezinsky wrote:
I never won with Germans, I have loose every game with no more than 60% of the English points. It has no sense to play a game you cannot win, or no sense to play a game you surely win (with English side)

Fabio

Id like to hear from people who have won as the Germans.

Have you played the entire campaign? Perhaps as the RAF get worn down the Germans score more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sample size is small (tiny, even), but yes, I have won with the Germans.

Our average score for the Channel scenario (the only one we have played) is RAF: 46, Luftwaffe 43.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never get more than halfway through the advanced game (old version) before the British side has pretty much nothing left to put up in the air. I'm not clear we have the bombing rules right - I've posted about that elsewhere - but even good dice rolls during the repair phase don't seem to stop the downward spiral for the RAF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, and it was a narrow German victory. I didn't record the score, and I believe the Germans won by about 5 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hart
msg tools
Of course the German side CAN win, but what I'm asking is how are players tweaking the rules to make a more even game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I am not. The game appears slightly in favor of the RAF, but overall balanced enough to be enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to play the full campaign and the last one ended:

RAF 167
Luftwaffe 166

I think the key tactic to a German victory is the order in which squadrons are placed. If you have a fighter-rich squadron, do you move it early to tempt the RAF into an intercept? Also, perhaps take a longer route for Luflotte 2 via the SW to swamp the planes from 19 Group? You run the risk of using more fuel but you have a chance ov avoiding an Intercept because of the RAF limit of a 3 space move. Bombers have a reasonable chance of getting through the dogfights, especially when playing the scenarios as a linked campaign.

I think this is how the game is best played,, and if you don't follow the historical set up, sp play each scenario seperately but link the scores, you can play this over 2 or 3 sessions.

Maybe leave Luflflotte 5 until last choose a target in the away from the NE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.