Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Connection games with capture? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious which connection games exist that also contain a capture mechanism.

Let's use a definition of "connection game" according to which the win condition consists in connecting some set of sides of the board.

Gonnect is one such game.

Any others?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vimbre, Flicker, Morpheus and Brique among my own.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb

If unification is considered a form of connection then Inertia qualifies.

(P.S. And its ancestor LOA of course too).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your definition of capture, but ConHex may qualify.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Depends on your definition of capture, but ConHex may qualify.
In which case Quentin also qualifies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
Vimbre, Flicker, Morpheus and Brique among my own.
Also Squer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talpa is a favorite of mine. Very weird though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim Reaper probably qualifies. Though the pieces are not directly “captured” per se. They can, however, be removed from the board via an interesting time/turn related dying mechanism.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Depends on your definition of capture, but ConHex may qualify.
Can you ellaborate? I don't easily imagine a plausible definition of "capture" which would make a pure placement game like ConHex be a game with capture.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Conhex you can capture a region by gaining more than half the corners for that region

At least it feels like capture to me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
VirginiaMilne wrote:
In Conhex you can capture a region by gaining more than half the corners for that region

At least it feels like capture to me
And similarly in Hex you can "capture" a hex by placing a stone in it, and in Tic-Tac-Toe you "capture" a square by drawing your symbol in it...

These examples do not really meet any plausible definition of "capture" for me.

(It seems to turn pretty much every game with locations which can be occupied into a "capture game".)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tak
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
russ wrote:
VirginiaMilne wrote:
In Conhex you can capture a region by gaining more than half the corners for that region

At least it feels like capture to me
And similarly in Hex you can "capture" a hex by placing a stone in it, and in Tic-Tac-Toe you "capture" a square by drawing your symbol in it...

These examples do not really meet any plausible definition of "capture" for me.
If the game is any good it should at least capture your opponent's attention.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?
Just as much capture as in Emergo (which I finally tried out recently - great game Christian!) where the topmost piece is the owner of the stack. But no piece is removed (killed) off the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?

Does capture require removal? We need to define terms!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
orangeblood wrote:
russ wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?

Does capture require removal? We need to define terms!
Certainly not, as TPoG pointed out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
christianF wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
russ wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?

Does capture require removal? We need to define terms!
Certainly not, as TPoG pointed out.
I was sincerely unsure whether TPoG was arguing that Tak and Emergo are games with capture ("Of course Tak is a game with capture, because Emergo is") or not ("Of course Tak is no more a game with capture than Emergo is")...

To me, temporarily covering a piece seems obviously different from capturing it.

So yeah, I guess Craig needs to clarify what he meant by "capture".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
russ wrote:
To me, temporarily covering a piece seems obviously different from capturing it.

So yeah, I guess Craig needs to clarify what he meant by "capture".
Yes, it would seem so. As for my two cents: players of column checkers games refer to these games' protocols as 'movement and capture' (plus 'entering' in Emergo's case) and I'm at a loss for an alternative. Movement and burial?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
christianF wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
russ wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
How is Tak a game with capture? Pieces are only placed (and moved), never removed... right?

Does capture require removal? We need to define terms!
Certainly not, as TPoG pointed out.
I was sincerely unsure whether TPoG was arguing that Tak and Emergo are games with capture ("Of course Tak is a game with capture, because Emergo is") or not ("Of course Tak is no more a game with capture than Emergo is")...

To me, temporarily covering a piece seems obviously different from capturing it.

So yeah, I guess Craig needs to clarify what he meant by "capture".
I intentionally left it open for consideration. However, I tend to see it as a capture.
In Shogi you also capture the pieces and get them in hand. They are not killed like in Chess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
To me, capturing rather strongly implies removing from the board. I sincerely never would have thought of a placing+moving+stacking game like Tak as having "capturing".

The Player of Games wrote:
In Shogi you also capture the pieces and get them in hand. They are not killed like in Chess.
Yeah, I see that as the difference between capture and destruction.

All destruction is capture, but not all capture is destruction (Chess vs Shogi being a good example!)

(My wife and I have been pondering this little cluster of terminology since this month we are playing daily games in which you destroy opponent's pieces. So Chess is eligible (and she beat me in a Chess game yesterday), but Shogi is not eligible!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could say in hex that a group is captured if it is surrounded. Interestingly, this would not change the game as a surrounded can never connect to the sides.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
You could say in hex that a group is captured if it is surrounded. Interestingly, this would not change the game as a surrounded.
In Havannah a group can be dead (presuming sensible play), but I wouldn't call that 'captured' unless the definition is stretched to extremes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
christianF wrote:
In Havannah a group can be dead (presuming sensible play), but I wouldn't call that 'captured' unless the definition is stretched to extremes.
Well, this thread seems to be about stretching the definition to extremes...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On a (real) battlefield, capture can be temporary. Maybe you capture two prisoners, and then decide to flee and leave them behind when danger appears on the horizon. Or maybe your little stack of three is captured by an enemy soldier and now there's four... but you're no longer on top of the stack and are a captive yourself.

It seems to me very natural to call these captures in Tak, Emergo, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |