Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Horror test vs multiple monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
If an investigator enters a room containing 2 monsters, does he need to make 2 horror tests ?
If so, who decides the order in wich the horror tests are done ?
If not, what monster should be used to make the horror test ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Vasquez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to make a horror check for each monster you encounter in the same room. The order of how you want to resolve all those checks depends upon your preference - just be sure that you do not forget those horror modifiers when making those checks because some monsters are scarier than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK thanks
melvox wrote:
The order of how you want to resolve all those checks depends upon your preference

Whose preference ? The investigator ? The keeper ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Jedi Fou wrote:
OK thanks
melvox wrote:
The order of how you want to resolve all those checks depends upon your preference

P.13 of the rulebook - the keeper choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tracey
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never liked the horror test vs. multiple monsters rules. It makes sense if you envision each monster walking into the room one after another, but I've always considered them to act more like a pack, surging into the room together. Alternatively, the investigator walks into a room then looks around and reacts to one monster after another? Where's the tension? Investigator walks into a room and finds himself instantly swarmed, and you've got your tension back. It's also a pain for the investigators to roll 6 times for 6 monsters. And if there's more than 1 investigator in the room, that's another 6 rolls. And then if they end up chasing the investigators, that's 6 more rolls for every investigator every turn.

So, I add together the monsters' horror multipliers and have the investigator roll once against just that. They then get only 1 horror if they fail, but they're more likely to fail - which makes a lot more sense to me, and speeds up the process significantly in some cases.
e.g. Monster with -2 and another with -3 horror modifiers enter investigator's room. Investigator must check willpower -5, once.

Monsters with positive or zero horror modifiers act as -1 when added together. So 2 Witches together have a horror modifier value of 0, while a third would be -1.

It's more complicated, but I've found that this improves the investigators' experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Daimond wrote:
Le Jedi Fou wrote:
OK thanks
melvox wrote:

Actually the rulebook only talks about multiple investigators vs 1 monster

If multiple investigators are in the room, they must each make a horror test (the keeper chooses the order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Jedi Fou wrote:
Daimond wrote:
Le Jedi Fou wrote:
OK thanks
melvox wrote:

Actually the rulebook only talks about multiple investigators vs 1 monster

If multiple investigators are in the room, they must each make a horror test (the keeper chooses the order).
yes, my bad. So, my information is icorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Walker
msg tools
mbmb
As one of the more fiddly rules in MoM, especially as it interrupts the flow of play and can be difficult to remember, I am tempted to adapt the 2e rule for horror checks to 1e.

That is that investigators make 1 horror check following the monster attack step. This horror check is at the highest modifier. However, given that in 2e, you can take multiple horror from 1 failed check, I was going to increase the horror caused by 1 for each additional monster in the room.

So, in a room with a Shoggoth and two Cultists, you roll against the Shoggoth's horror modifier and take 3 horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.