Subject: Wouldn't that be wonderful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Imagine a program that allows you to play a hundred or more abstract strategy games against anyone anywhere, live or turnbased.
Imagine it features a strong AI to allow you to practice any or all of those games before engaging in human vs human play.
Imagine you wouldn't even need a browser.
Wouldn't that be wonderful? kiss

There actually is such a program! And it's free!
It's called AiAi and it's made by Stephen Tavener. It has more games than users at the moment. I really don't know why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for prompting what sounds like a great tool for the community. I eaglerly anticipate trying AiAi and Tabletop Simulator when I replace my computer, which sadly died at the hands of an airplane. I only have an iPad now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually use AiAi at work since I'm stuck in front of the computer anyway. Obviously, not the best environment to play thinky games since the game is always getting interrupted. I don't use it at home because java means i need to sit in front of the computer and I do enough of that at work. If there were a mobile device friendly way to use it like boardspace.net I would be on it every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:
I actually use AiAi at work since I'm stuck in front of the computer anyway. Obviously, not the best environment to play thinky games since the game is always getting interrupted. I don't use it at home because java means i need to sit in front of the computer and I do enough of that at work. If there were a mobile device friendly way to use it like boardspace.net I would be on it every day!

if you don't mind turn-based you can always setup a game with a 1-move per day limit or something and make your move at work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Stephen's creation is wonderful, and it's time to get more players there!

An added bonus is that we'll all have more informed votes for the best abstracts each year because he implements all of those he can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
danrodz wrote:

if you don't mind turn-based you can always setup a game with a 1-move per day limit or something and make your move at work...

thats actually not a bad idea, i think i will give that a shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Fish
msg tools
christianF wrote:
It has more games than users at the moment. I really don't know why.

However I would suggest to get more people to go through the process of clicking (inertia) and settting up AiAi then the carrot needs to be bigger and glow a brighter, more tasty orange: So a video edit showing numerous clips of numerous games being played might be a good idea to put on youtube and/or the website, if not already done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
DeepFishTaluva wrote:
christianF wrote:
It has more games than users at the moment. I really don't know why.

However I would suggest to get more people to go through the process of clicking (inertia) and settting up AiAi then the carrot needs to be bigger and glow a brighter, more tasty orange: So a video edit showing numerous clips of numerous games being played might be a good idea to put on youtube and/or the website, if not already done?
More exposure would be a good thing, but when I try to imagine the amount of work Stephen is putting into the program for the benefit of in particular the BGG Abstract Games community, then I find the apparent modest degree of enthusiam rather disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
DeepFishTaluva wrote:
If anyone wants to do this, I'd be happy to support them; but I'd much rather spend my time writing code than making videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
More exposure would be a good thing, but when I try to imagine the amount of work Stephen is putting into the program for the benefit of in particular the BGG Abstract Games community, then I find the apparent modest degree of enthusiam rather disappointing.
Largely my own fault, I'm sure; being both slightly autistic and very English, I have an aversion to any form of self-promotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mrraow wrote:
christianF wrote:
Largely my own fault, I'm sure; being both slightly autistic and very English, I have an aversion to any form of self-promotion.
I'll do it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded and tried it vs AI. Haven't tried vs human online yet.

I like it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Ai Ai for about a week now. I love abstract games (although I'm pathetically bad at them), so Ai Ai gives me the chance to improve my ability against the AI (which has nicely adjustable "thinking" time) without the embarrassment of continually losing to human opponents. It also has a huge number of games and more, apparently, being added all the time.

This is an awesome resource for abstract game lovers. And it is simple to install and use if you have Java on your system.

A big thanks to Stephen Tavener and also Cameron Browne (and maybe other people for individual game implementations)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the best way to play a turn-based AiAi game with another human simply to trade "saved-position" files (.mgs) via email or Dropbox?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spaten wrote:
Is the best way to play a turn-based AiAi game with another human simply to trade "saved-position" files (.mgs) via email or Dropbox?
In the Ai Ai folder, there is a second application called online.jar. If you run it, you can create an account and start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely need more players on the server, so if you are an abstract-game player please sign up for an account !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Fish
msg tools
I enjoy abstracts and really should "get around" to doing this. Just inbetween computer OS's atm is part of the delay. Will report back. A great and fun resource for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Finally got a computer!

Quick question:

Are ALL games on Ai Ai included with permission of the original designer/developers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kunkasaurus wrote:
Are ALL games on Ai Ai included with permission of the original designer/developers?
AiAi has Go, so I think the answer is "no".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

AiAi online has now 22 players, still 22 players I should say. I think that's quite embarrassing. It makes me wonder whether the the image of a BGG member as someone actively playing new games is based on a false presumption. I got seven open challenges standing, but hardly any opponents. It makes me grateful for the ones I have, but come on guys, you can do better than that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how many potential players are aware of Ai Ai beyond this forum? Posting at Reddit is one possibility, as well as the Little Golem forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
orangeblood wrote:
I wonder how many potential players are aware of Ai Ai beyond this forum? Posting at Reddit is one possibility, as well as the Little Golem forum.
I posted Storisende Strategic Fundamentals at Reddit and of course linked to AiAi and mentioned it as a great way to learn to play the game. Same for the Arimaa Forum. But you're right, a bit extra wouldn't hurt.

As an aside, posting that the program is wonderful for the community earned me 15 thumbs ups. Posting that the community doesn't quite live up to what I had expected of it earned me yours (well, maybe more to follow).
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls