Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you tooooooo........your reroll. This time around we are rerolling Clans of Caledonia What are your thoughts on this game? Remember if you leave comments also leave your rating!
Poll
1. Have you played Clans of Caledonia?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would try if someone brought it out to try.
No and have no desire too.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Clans of Caledonia?
6- game collection essential
3- average game
0- the worst.
      154 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Cue the music...)

Let me tell you that I love you
And I think about you all the time
Clans of Caledonia you're calling me
Now I'm go-o-o-ing home

If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Clans of Caledonia beats every game
I've ever had
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By my assessment, a phenomenal game which captures the essence of a market (supply and demand) without making it feel oppressive. The lively colors on the board coupled with the actions at your disposal which provides a sense of accomplishment, makes the game quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game to be supremely average. I does a handful of things pretty well, but nothing that stands out as exceptional. My two plays are plenty for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own it, but a member of my game group does. I remember when it came out, we played it about 3 times or so and I enjoyed all of those plays. But I haven't seen it, heard anything about it, or wanted to ask for it since. It was a good game in a sea of good games, but nothing about it made it stand out among the rest. If someone wants to play it, I'll happily play, but other than that, it was good enough that I remember playing it, but not so great that I feel the need to seek it out again. It gets a 4 peg rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this nearly as many times as I've played Terra Mystica, but I think I like it much better (than even Gaia Project).

The area control, resource generation is very similar to TM and GP, but with the addition of the marketplace and the Scottish theme, this game is a big win for me. Easily a #6.

The only bummer is that I don't own this because a friend got it first, and I will rarely play it without him. So, alas, it's not mine, but man it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joepunman wrote:
I haven't played this nearly as many times as I've played Terra Mystica, but I think I like it much better (than even Gaia Project).

The area control, resource generation is very similar to TM and GP, but with the addition of the marketplace and the Scottish theme, this game is a big win for me. Easily a #6.

The only bummer is that I don't own this because a friend got it first, and I will rarely play it without him. So, alas, it's not mine, but man it's good.

Seconded the opinion, though a high 5 to me. After I played it with my wife she told me to sell or trade Terra Mystica because she had no desire to ever play it again instead of Clans of Caledonia. So I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an enjoyable game to play, but sometimes it feels like a lot of busy work. That might well be a problem with my play (doing a lot for little reward). But always happy to play and an entertaining 2 hours, except for figuring out the scoring each time. A four for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev Olson
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mb
Clans of Caledonia is far too distilled for its own good. The design is solid and production is pure quality. However each time I’ve played the game I haven’t had the satisfaction that I have from other economic games. It’s a three peg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Weekenstroo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like clans of Caledonia a lot and its a solid 5 pegs for me. The one thing that is keeping it from being a 6 is the scoring of the sold goods at the end of the game. It feels extremely random what good will score 5, 4 and 3 points and is just too dependent on factors you cannot control. It feels weird and unpolished in an otherwise extremely good game. Hope they will come out with an expansion soon for even more variability!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 pegs for me. Currently my #10 game in my collection.

The market and understanding how to manipulate it to your advantage is brilliant.
The ability to spread out your clans across the map can be devious when used in conjunction with slaughtering your animals.
The player boards explain things very well as to what resources you are producing and income receiving.
The game scales well.
The various clan powers have a similar feel to Marco Polo, meaning each one seems so overpowered yet balances out.
The components, boards and box could be larger so things weren't quite so snug, but on the flip side, the box fits on the shelf a little easier and saves some room.
I'm considering adding the metal coins to bling out my game even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played my new copy once, but I don't feel like I can rate it at all after that one play. It definitely made me want to play again, so the first impression was positive, but I reserve judgement until later. (My only play was solo as well; I don't think that reflects well how the game normally works.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Miller
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoC is my favorite game I don't actually own. I love that there are multiple paths to victory. I like the asymmetric powers of each clan really do make them feel DIFFERENT. I like the variable board setup, and random bonuses as well as the various clans.
The game always feels tight, and is always fun to play. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had an opportunity to play Clans of Caledonia recently after a year of lusting after it. The idea of Terra Mystica with market manipulation, and whiskey, sounded like a winner to me. I kept hearing of people choosing Clans over Terra Mystica, and maybe that over-hyped it in my head, but I felt very much the opposite.

I found myself recognizing the Terra Mystica influence, while at the same time longing for everything that was missing. Rather than that suffocating pressure of never having enough money to do what I want, I found myself building things just to spend my surplus money. There was less pressure to plan ahead. There was no satisfying power-bowl juggle to eek out a fancy move. No constant pressure to stay ahead of my opponents in multiple tracks. It all just felt like an easy-going version of Terra Mystica to me, and I guess that's not something that I want.

I gave it a 3 out of 6 pegs, but honestly it would probably be a 4 without the Terra Mystica bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I've played my new copy once, but I don't feel like I can rate it at all after that one play. It definitely made me want to play again, so the first impression was positive, but I reserve judgement until later. (My only play was solo as well; I don't think that reflects well how the game normally works.)

I too have only played it once and that was almost a year ago. Since then, I've had little desire to play it again (my friend owns it, not me) ... but I do remember enjoying my one play. I can't really rate it right now, but if I did, I'd put it at a 3 peg. It's solid with a neat stock market mechanic, but nothing drags me right back.

Plus the pieces are SOOOO SMALL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
collecting these tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Smith
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this game the first time I played it, but it left me wanting for something more. The second time I played it unlocked a little more but it seemed that strategies locked in and it played a bit too close to the first time. I do not see value in trying for a third time.

4 pegs as it is worth playing but not worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.