Muthu Palanisamy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Much has been written about Twilight Struggle and rightly so.

This game has been on my radar for a couple of years. Could not get myself to buy it since neither my wife nor my gaming group would be interested in playing the board game version.

A couple of weeks ago this game was on sale on Steam and I bought it. And the observations below are based on that version. (And I am hoping that is ok :), and this Review section is not strictly for the board version of this game.)

Things that I liked
1. The tutorial in the game is good and explains everything that you need to know to start playing the game.

2. At any given point in time, you can click the per region score bar and see what you would score, if a scoring card were to be played at that moment.

3. Odds of wresting control away from the opponent via a coup is presented nicely when choosing the coup action. Similarly for the realignment rolls.

Essentially the game does the math for you. And you are left to your own Cold War style scheming :).

Things that I did not like
1. Mil Ops is not clear in this version of the game. It is not readily apparent where you are unless you click on the Mil Ops track.

2. The game some times freezes. Force quitting (I am on a Mac) and then restarting the game usually starts at the same point where it previously failed and continues playing from that point on.

3. Discarded and removed cards - you have to scroll horizontally to see whether a card has been discarded / removed or not. Not the most user-friendly thing to do. Would have liked a shorter top to bottom list format for this.

4. There is no visual clue when you try to do an action that is not allowed - for example, if you try to coup an European battleground while on Defcon 4, nothing happens in the game. Makes you wonder that the game is being unresponsive, until you realize that you are doing an action that is not allowed under the current conditions of the game.

In closing
I love this game. If you are on the fence, I would highly recommend the Steam version for desktop (Windows / Mac) use. You will see its benefit just based on the tutorial alone - let alone the absorbing and fantastic game play afterwards.

I have played it 16 times (all 16 games as the USA with the 0 influence handicap) so far, and won a hard fought victory through final round scoring in the 16th game!

The next step is to continue playing as the USA and see if I can score a 20+ point victory before the final round scoring. And after that, I will flip to the USSR and see if I can do the same :). Also, I have not played online against another human opponent, so that will also follow :).

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Homa
United States
flag msg tools
Glad to hear you like the game! I would never have begun playing it were it not for Steam. Playing against the A.I. repeatedly was a great way to pick up on the rules.

Some notes on your notes:

Mil Ops - it took me a long time to find it, but you'll notice the red and blue hyphens at the top of the screen next to Defcon Status will light up, thus showing you quickly your Mil Ops status (I do still open it anyway, though, just to be sure).

Couping in defcon-restricted areas - Underneath the scoring bars for each region, there are typically two icons (there are others, but they are rare) - a little bulls-eye target thingy which indicates that a scoring card has been played and an ominous atom-bomb mushroom cloud icon, which indicates that no coups may be attempted in that region due to Defcon Status.

I play on Windows, but I assume it would be the same on a Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muthu Palanisamy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
MichiganEagle wrote:
Underneath the scoring bars for each region, there are typically two icons
Awesome! Thank you for pointing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tatman
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great on the iPad too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI is extremely weak. I have never played a game where it lasted past the early war. Two player asynchronous is great though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls