7 Posts

Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards with checkboxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Edwards

Colorado
msg tools
We are just done with game 3 and were wondering at what point does the "if all boxes are checked" comes into play.

For example, I get a card, with one empty box left, and check it. It's now full, do we follow the instructions at that point or wait until the next time it's drawn?

We've chosen to wait until the next time for now, but I wanted to see if it can be cleared up.

cool Eric the Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely the next time you draw it for most of them. Some of them will be destroyed as soon as the last box is checked, I believe. And make sure you're only checking the boxes when told to do so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edwards

Colorado
msg tools
Thank you. That is what we figured, and were planning on doing. We have 1 card completely checked off. Next time it is drawn, we read . . .

cool Eric the Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Only check when specifically told to. Those instructions aren’t always from the card itself, but might depend on say, for instance, which Bleak Journal entry you are told to read. Or other sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the instructions in order. If "check a box" is above "if all boxes are checked", then you can check the box then apply the consequence on the same activation of the card; if it's below, then the effects of the checked box wait for the next time the card is activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It seems that cards differ in weather to do the action immediately or wait until next time it's drawn. I think it's pretty clear myself but my group disagrees. Below is the example for a particular card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unfinished Painting
Make a knowledge roll

4+Not too bad you may have talent. Check a box below. If both boxes are checked turn to entry 79 in the Bleak Journal.

There are 2 checkboxes. Due to the order of instructions for rolling a 4+: "Check a box. If both are checked 'do thing'", I say that the first person to roll 4+ checks it then buries it. The 2nd person checks it then 'does thing', but my group thinks that you stop reading after Check a box, ignore the if and bury it. They say it would therefore be the 3rd person to roll who 'does the thing' because then the are 2 boxes. I'm totally convinced that they are wrong as this seems so clear, however with 4 people saying it's the other way around, I need confirmation one way or the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FirstDouchaEver200 wrote:
It seems that cards differ in weather to do the action immediately or wait until next time it's drawn. I think it's pretty clear myself but my group disagrees. Below is the example for a particular card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unfinished Painting
Make a knowledge roll

4+Not too bad you may have talent. Check a box below. If both boxes are checked turn to entry 79 in the Bleak Journal.

There are 2 checkboxes. Due to the order of instructions for rolling a 4+: "Check a box. If both are checked 'do thing'", I say that the first person to roll 4+ checks it then buries it. The 2nd person checks it then 'does thing', but my group thinks that you stop reading after Check a box, ignore the if and bury it. They say it would therefore be the 3rd person to roll who 'does the thing' because then the are 2 boxes. I'm totally convinced that they are wrong as this seems so clear, however with 4 people saying it's the other way around, I need confirmation one way or the other

The best way to handle it is like how tile symbols are handled (execute all symbols, one at a time, left to right, unless something happens that removes the player from that tile [example: resolving Event-then-Omen, but the Event moves player to a different tile, so Omen is not resolved]).

In this case, follow *all* of the instructions, one at a time. This means that your interpretation (the 2nd drawer reads the entry, since the 2nd drawer checks the box AND THEN applies the "if 2 boxes checked" conditional) is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.