Subject: Rampaging only killing fences? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Malinsky
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I understand that it is very possible to have a safe park, but we have played 3 times now with very few rampages and when there were rampages a fence just got hit and then immediately got repaired next round. Is there a variant someone came up with for more mayhem if you wanted to mix it up from pure strategic park running to more of a Jurassic park type feel? Or are we doing the rampaging wrong since only fences are getting hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
It really depends what rampages and what dinosaurs you have in your park.

A Skull result will always result in a dead visitor regardless of if the dinosaur is contained within fence (the visitor is startled by the dinosaur attacking the fence and falls into the enclosure).

A raptor rampage will always kill a visitor on a Slash or a Skull.

A T-Rex rolls two dice so has a high likelihood of destroying a fence and then a facility.

If a dinosaur breaks free and there is also a Brontosaurus in your park, the bronto will also rampage, which will most likely destroy a facility.

Beyond that, remember that rampage conditions are checked when a dinosaur is first placed and then again during the upkeep phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very normal not to have rampages if you're playing with a conservative style.

I'm thinking about a variant where you need to feed your dinos the moment you create them, making it more expensive and dangerous.

Also another where you'd need to feed all the dinos, not just the carnivores. This one would implicate some changes cause you'd need to buy or grow vegetables or something..

Also, I just thought of this one: What if you had a goal that you need to achieve each season or you would suffer a penalty like paying or loosing something? That would force you to create dinos quickly, even if you didn't had the appropriate space for them, causing more mayhem, cause you'd need the prestige..

They probably tested some of these ideas..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Malinsky
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Richard, in your explanation I did she 2 things we didn’t do right. We didn’t have the brontosaurus rampage when a fence broke and we also didn’t rampage check when placing the dinosaursso that may have contributed to lack of mayhem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, in my games I have also found typically the only rampages that happen are from events.

Not sure if that is a bad thing but I can see how the expectation being different from reality can cause disappointment.

I hear all this talk about playing risky and I dont see it.

I see 2 main times when you would purposely cause rampage.

1. Choosing an action other than the farm when you have carnivores. Seems like a bad idea to do this with a T Rex or raptor because the chance to lose visitors is rather high. You could possibly get away with it with a single Pterodactyl but the you will just have to spend an action and 3 money to repair so you really aren't coming out ahead.

2. Placing a dino when you dont have a habitat ready. Most times you get fences first then the dino. You could perhaps get a dino out a turn early before you had a fence ready but that is 2 rampages against your buildings. If you think you will get blocked from Dinogenics you could play the dino first then build a fence around it after within same round, which may be worth it but a rare situation and you are still risking a building.
I hear a lot of talk about placing pteradacyl in a fence but here is the thing. Place it in the fence, rampaged, then rampage in upkeep against buildings. Next turn, if you take the action to fix the fence, it will immediately rampage and break it and then rampage against buildings in upkeep (unless you spend another fence action). So basically doing this results in repairing a building every turn all the while risking your visitors.

And if you have a brontosaurus in your park (which are quite valuable) the incentive to doing this is even less.

So yeah, I just dont see the point. None of the above situations are simply losing a fence (since the only time a fenced dino would rampage is if you don't feed it, place a different non-ankylosaur in there, or an event causes it and all except the event cause more than simply losing a fence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Dna_Boy wrote:
It's very normal not to have rampages if you're playing with a conservative style.

I'm thinking about a variant where you need to feed your dinos the moment you create them, making it more expensive and dangerous.

Also another where you'd need to feed all the dinos, not just the carnivores. This one would implicate some changes cause you'd need to buy or grow vegetables or something..

Also, I just thought of this one: What if you had a goal that you need to achieve each season or you would suffer a penalty like paying or loosing something? That would force you to create dinos quickly, even if you didn't had the appropriate space for them, causing more mayhem, cause you'd need the prestige..

They probably tested some of these ideas..

Indeed! DinoGenics walks a fine line between a traditional euro style game and a more consequent driven thematic game. There are basically two camps of people, those that want complete control over their point engine and become annoyed when something breaks, and those that want a true Jurassic disaster experience.

Adding extra requirements for safety in the hopes of inspiring more dinosaur destruction actually had the opposite effect on player testers. Instead of having more disasters players instead played extra safe to avoid them. This had the downside of railroading players into following very simply paths to victory.

It often takes a couple games for people to figure out but DinoGenics (current version) is actually very flexible when it comes to building outside of the “safe park” mindset. A player who takes calculated risks will usually pull ahead slightly in the long run. This allows players to experiment with different strategies and allows for more interesting dynamics than forcing one path or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm beginning to think a different approach to Rampages may have been better, one that semi-encourages rampaging dinos, to bring theme closer to the known material.

Just spitballing here, but possibly Rampages granting you a good deal of Reputation but lowers your VP. "No such thing as bad publicity"?

Or, maybe the Rampaging die would have been more "fun" with 2 or even 3 sides that grant you benefits (Coins, VP, Rep)? That way players don't shy away from Rampages entirely. As of right now, you never want to roll the Rampage die unless you have 0 chance of winning and are just shooting in the dark for the smiley face result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
Yeah, in my games I have also found typically the only rampages that happen are from events.

Not sure if that is a bad thing but I can see how the expectation being different from reality can cause disappointment.

1. Choosing an action other than the farm when you have carnivores. Seems like a bad idea to do this with a T Rex or raptor because the chance to lose visitors is rather high. You could possibly get away with it with a single Pterodactyl but the you will just have to spend an action and 3 money to repair so you really aren't coming out ahead.

2. Placing a dino when you dont have a habitat ready. Most times you get fences first then the dino. You could perhaps get a dino out a turn early before you had a fence ready but that is 2 rampages against your buildings. If you think you will get blocked from Dinogenics you could play the dino first then build a fence around it after within same round, which may be worth it but a rare situation and you are still risking a building.
I hear a lot of talk about placing pteradacyl in a fence but here is the thing. Place it in the fence, rampaged, then rampage in upkeep against buildings. Next turn, if you take the action to fix the fence, it will immediately rampage and break it and then rampage against buildings in upkeep (unless you spend another fence action). So basically doing this results in repairing a building every turn all the while risking your visitors.

And if you have a brontosaurus in your park (which are quite valuable) the incentive to doing this is even less.

So yeah, I just dont see the point. None of the above situations are simply losing a fence (since the only time a fenced dino would rampage is if you don't feed it, place a different non-ankylosaur in there, or an event causes it and all except the event cause more than simply losing a fence).

The Pterodactyl doesn't rampage when you fence him in again. Improperly penned dinos only rampage when PLACED in the Off-season. Otherwise, it's in the Upkeep phase. It may kill a visitor yes, but if fenced in again will only ever tear down its fence rather than lay waste to a facility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
stevuscaticus wrote:
Deadwolf wrote:

The Pterodactyl doesn't rampage when you fence him in again. Improperly penned dinos only rampage when PLACED in the Off-season. Otherwise, it's in the Upkeep phase. It may kill a visitor yes, but if fenced in again will only ever tear down its fence rather than lay waste to a facility.

The rule book says that dinos will rampage after moving fences if they are in an improper habitat. This means their is a rampage check after the fence action, unless there is an obtuse distinction between building and moving fences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
stevuscaticus wrote:
Deadwolf wrote:

The rule book says that dinos will rampage after moving fences if they are in an improper habitat. This means their is a rampage check after the fence action, unless there is an obtuse distinction between building and moving fences.

Apparently it is obtuse(ish). The language may be a little confusing but it's actually warning you of impending rampage in the upkeep phase if the dino is still improperly housed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.