Noel Y
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We were playing the Shoggoth scenario last night. After the traitor revealed, another player used a skill allowing him to steal any item from any player. He chose the traitor's book, which adds one to his sanity and knowledge as long as he carries it. As his sanity was already on critical, am I correct to assume, removing the book kills him?

Second question: The scenario allows the traitor to place tentacles on adjacent tiles. Does that mean it must follow room adjacency rules, where he needs a door to place in the next tile? We won easily, since the traitor believed he needed to have a door and there was no door, as well as the fact that he couldn't place a tentacle in the same room as the mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
angryniceguy wrote:
We were playing the Shoggoth scenario last night. After the traitor revealed, another player used a skill allowing him to steal any item from any player. He chose the traitor's book, which adds one to his sanity and knowledge as long as he carries it. As his sanity was already on critical, am I correct to assume, removing the book kills him?

Second question: The scenario allows the traitor to place tentacles on adjacent tiles. Does that mean it must follow room adjacency rules, where he needs a door to place in the next tile? We won easily, since the traitor believed he needed to have a door and there was no door, as well as the fact that he couldn't place a tentacle in the same room as the mouth.

1st question: short answer -- we play that as "yes", STEALing the Book kills the traitor, as he ends up with one fewer Sanity without the Book.

2nd question: we played it as "tentacle can be placed in any adjacent tile where a tentacle can move to were it a character", but I see your point, as Shoggoth encompasses the house and presumably should just shove through anywhere.
NOTE that the Mouth can attack the same as a tentacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El A
msg tools
mbmbmb
For your first question, yes, nothing prohibits death via item removal, and it does state you only get the extra stat while holding it -- if you hit critical then, you're on borrowed time, for sure.

For the second:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The traitor had the right idea. Per the rules: "Tiles are adjacent if they are both discovered and connected by a doorway or other effect. " Since the underlined didn't apply, they are definitely not adjacent, and you would have to move through doorways/passages/etc (I think of it like a tendril sneakily moving room to room, as opposed to bursting down walls). As there are other places in the rulebook that mentions something to the effect of '[redacted] can treat two side-by-side rooms as adjacent even if not connected by a doorway', the lack of that clause makes this case more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.