Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 37 question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Senac

Florida
msg tools
Hi,
We started the game yesterday and it was a great moment. Sadly we faced a dilemn on Haunt 37.
What should happens when the traitor attack someone currently weilding a weapon, and when the dices rolls are in favor of the defender? (believe it or not, it happened several times...)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had different interpretations of this haunt specifics rules:
- Either the result is ignored by the berserker (Rule "You take damage only from a trap or an attack with a weapon")
- Or we lower the blood rage token by one, as on the fight the defender had a valid weapon, so this loss is a result of a weapon attack.

We took the decision to lower the blood rage by one: The power of the berserker and his roars (a single attack could oneshot any of the heroes) made us think it was more balanced this way... but as the heroes won without a loss after this decision and a long series of disastrous roll for our traitor, i am a bit unconfortable now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I remember correctly you cannot use a weapon when defending. On the Item Cards it usually says Attack and then how many dice you will throw. And defending is not an Attack.
Also you can only use those keywords when it's your turn which is obviously not when you are defending.

So I think the Berserker shouldn't take damage when attacking another person. Although now that you mentioned it I have no idea how we played that haunt. It might have that we played it similarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The berserker would take no damage.

You can't use a weapon when defending unless it specifically says so on the weapon card.

Defending with the weapon is not attacking with a weapon. The berserker only takes damage from weapons when they are used to make the ATTACK action specifically on the weapon-user's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Senac

Florida
msg tools
Thanks to both of you. I never found the rule explaining that weapons were not used when defending. I mean, of course you cannot "use" it to add special effects such as more dice/results...
Then i remembered another thing: I read somewhere (on BGG i guess) that during a range attack, the defender could deal damage to the attacker on his defense roll if he also have a ranged weapon.
If this rule is true (we took the decision to use this one) the two rules cannot works together: You are "using" a weapon on defense on the second situation.
Does this second rule exists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "rule" about defenders dealing damage against ranged attacks if they also have a ranged weapon.

If you have clear line of sight and an effect or Weapon that lets you make a line of sight attack (ranged attack), you may make a ranged attack. If your target is on a different tile than yours, you take no damage if you lose the combat. There's no place for an additional rule sticker to say "unless your opponent also has a ranged weapon," so a card would specifically have to say that the defender still deals damage on a line of sight attack from one or more tiles away in order to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greyhorn wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I never found the rule explaining that weapons were not used when defending. I mean, of course you cannot "use" it to add special effects such as more dice/results...
Then i remembered another thing: I read somewhere (on BGG i guess) that during a range attack, the defender could deal damage to the attacker on his defense roll if he also have a ranged weapon.
If this rule is true (we took the decision to use this one) the two rules cannot works together: You are "using" a weapon on defense on the second situation.
Does this second rule exists?

the rule you might be referring to is when an attacker attacks with a ranged weapon while being on the same tile as the defender. when the attacker loses the roll, the defender damages the attacker because they are on the same tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.