EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Online blurb for the game claims "Commands & Colors: Ancients depicts warfare from the Dawn of Military History (3000 BC) to the opening of the Middle Ages (400 AD)." (not sure where that comes from, I don't see 3000BC mentioned in the official game description).

But obviously the reality is that the official scenarios in C&CA start around 500 BC. So are there any actually ancient (3000 BC to 500 BC) official scenarios at all? And if not, are there any unofficial ones? It would be interesting to do conflicts from the egyptian, sumerian, or minoan
eras for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The earliest official scenarios Hysiae (669 BC), unless there is something older published in Vae Victis magazine recently.

There are a couple of fan-made scenarios covering the Egyptian Wars in the ~1000 BC time frame, but that is about it. Richard Borg said he needed a modified/different rule set to do the Biblical-era battles.

In fairness, any scenario for a battle prior to ~500 BC is pretty much a combination of guesswork and TLR ("that looks about right") for OOBs, deployment, and terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
OK, so I guess Richard Borg originally intended it to be from 3000BC but then realised that and figured it'd be better covering 700BC and later? (since that comment about it being from 3000BC is from him originally, according to the description on the game's front page here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could find here official and fan made scenarios:
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/maps/scenario-lis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a Troy (1184 BC) scenario:

https://www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/maps/39-trojan-wa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any particular battle you're looking for? I'm aware of maybe a dozen named Mid-East battles from before 1000 BC (mostly Biblical), plus two or three semi-mythical non-western ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a few of Assyrian battles, but they are not tested so I don't share it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
Is there any particular battle you're looking for? I'm aware of maybe a dozen named Mid-East battles from before 1000 BC (mostly Biblical), plus two or three semi-mythical non-western ones.

Nothing in particular, I just wondered if there were older ones and if the tactics/pieces would be different (e.g. more chariots? different special rules for the era?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In related news: GMT Announces New Early Ancients Expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls