Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: When you absolutely need to make an attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Can the traitor attack monsters?
Can the heroes attack other heroes?
Can you do a steal action when the target doesn't have anything to steal but you are not otherwise prohibited from stealing from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking the rule book.

Can the traitor attack monsters? - No why would they, (unless the haunt rules overrule the standard game rules.)

Can the heroes attack other heroes? - Not before the haunt starts.

Can you do a steal action when the target doesn't have anything to steal but you are not otherwise prohibited from stealing from it? - Please explain what you are trying to do, As I recall steal is more or less a sub-action of attack. Something like "If you do 2 or more damage you can choose to steal an item instead." Also some omens/items allow you to steal something as well under certain circumstances. But again, why would you, what are you actually trying to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to all three is "no".

I think this thread has to do with certain items that punish you for not attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any specific situation where the traitor would want to attack the monsters, or where heroes would want to attack each other. In scenarios where there is no traitor (or no known traitor), I don't believe the characters qualify as "heroes" (as that designation seems to be specific to haunts with a known traitor).

costguy wrote:
Can you do a steal action when the target doesn't have anything to steal but you are not otherwise prohibited from stealing from it? - Please explain what you are trying to do, As I recall steal is more or less a sub-action of attack. Something like "If you do 2 or more damage you can choose to steal an item instead." Also some omens/items allow you to steal something as well under certain circumstances. But again, why would you, what are you actually trying to do?

They're trying to get out of damaging the target of their attack by invoking stealing rules instead, since it replaces the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it would be nice to know if that is what they are trying to do.

As Rob pointed out the answer to all 3 is No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
costguy wrote:
Yes, but it would be nice to know if that is what they are trying to do.

As Rob pointed out the answer to all 3 is No.

I needed to attack things or else. (Why is a spoiler, but should be easy to figure out if you have played far enough into the game.)
In this particular case I had some things to attack that weren't heroes, monsters or traitors and would have preferred to have not killed them so I could keep attacking them. I also had a renewable supply of monsters and attacking them would have also been useful.
I wasn't going to be able to get to the last hero easily and had a bigger monster that might rarely get some shots in. If the scenario had played out that way, it could have taken a very long time to end. But without the attacks, I needed to try something and discovered a tile that got me killed, which then cost me the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, but there have been some pretty basic questions asked on this forum.

So, you were basically looking for a loophole.
Quote:

Can the traitor attack monsters?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when this happened to me there were none

Quote:
Can the heroes attack other heroes?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
when this happened to me it would not help me at the traitor.

Quote:
Can you do a steal action when the target doesn't have anything to steal but you are not otherwise prohibited from stealing from it?

Answered no.

Now, I could see an argument that the traitor can attack the monsters but Rob said no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.