Hide
4 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: LoA (Lines of Action) resources wanted, especially AGM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ploog
msg tools
As some of you will know, I'm writing short, dense articles about some board games (abstract, 2 player, black & white etc.) that are outstanding, original designs -- in my opinion, that is, but hopefully also in yours. I've already got something on Slither and Amazons. These texts are still in progress (and will continue to do so) but it is time for me to prepare another installment. I will definitely cover

Lines of Action (Claude Soucie, about 1965).

LoA is quite established, as far as our small niche goes. In particular, it did get some coverage. Here's what I am aware of:

1. Ralph Betza: New Ideas on LoA (NOSTalgia 221-225), pdf
2. Kerry Handscomb: Lines of Action -- Strategic Ideas I,II,III (AGM 1,2,3 2000)
3. Claude Chaunier: Lines of Action -- Strategic Ideas IV (AGM 5, 2001)
4. John's 100 play challenge blog (mostly commented games but see this and this)
5. LOA tumblr page

I never got to see the four AGM articles, and I would love to. If anyone can send me scans, please do! Kerry Handscomb (the publisher) spoke up on BGG here, so this should be fine.

If anyone has additional sources, please tell me! I'd also be curious about what the actual date of origin was but we'll never know. Sid Sackson published LoA in 1969 in his book "A Gamut of Games" and it is known that they played LoA for some years before that. But when Claude Soucie invented the game remains a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Mark's LOA Homepage and his thesis on programming an AI to play LoA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first internet project was to collect all available information
about LOA. See https://boardspace.net/loa/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ploog
msg tools
Thanks for the replies! Due to an unsung hero, I now have the four AGM articles but my source does not want to upload them here (because it is not clear whether Kerry Handcomb's statement agrees with that), and hence by extension neither want I.

Kerry: if you read this -- can I?

Apart from that, I now have four excellent texts on LOA (Betza, Handscomb, Chaunier, Winands), which means my work for this game is compiling rather than inventing. Plus coming up with some problems, of course. If anyone wants to bounce ideas on problems, please write me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls