Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hudson
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you claim an item as an heirloom, do the special abilities that are gained effective immediately or are they effective on the NEXT playthrough?

We have been playing the game as though the heirloom special ability is effective right then and there. I have tried to find this answer elsewhere but wanted to get a clarification for future games.

Thanks,
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything in the rules to prevent the heirloom from taking effect immediately. I've been playing it like you.

In fact, it seems like most of the time I only benefit from the heirloom effect when I heirloom it that game. I keep getting other people's heirlooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hudson
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had very different results that yours. Our next game, it seemed everybody got their own heirlooms again. It was entertaining with the possibility for roleplaying reactions for getting the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
burial mask

I asked the question because somewhere I'd read that they took effect on subsequent plays. (Which in a way made sense, since the heirloom would be handed down to the next person in the family - otherwise, it's just an object.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, to heirloom it, you put your sticker on it right away, and the heirloom bonus takes effect if your sticker is on it, so from a literal reading of the rules, the heirloom benefit should apply right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect takes place right away and all future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hudson
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm glad we were doing it correctly.

(And we're enjoying the game immensely. Great job!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.