Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been helping out at a boardgame club that runs at lunchtime at my local primary school. I've started a list to show what I've taken along and how well it's been received.

Lunchtime Boardgame club for 9-11 year old kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great

I would recommend Fluxx card games for any future games you may look at getting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alixian wrote:
That's great

I would recommend Fluxx card games for any future games you may look at getting

Good thought! I used to have a copy of Zombie Fluxx but got rid of it a while back. I'll keep my eye out for a cheap second hand copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Notyou
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be the heavy here... I can't get behind a school game group during lunch period. On the face of it, getting kids together for social interaction during lunch is a positive goal, but there are dozens of studies in the US, UK and Canada, just in the last decade, that have linked academic performance, overall health, and better lifelong eating choices to school lunches. Kids who get less lunch time make poorer eating choices. For some children the school lunch is the only consistent meal they receive and often is the only nutritionally balanced meal they will get in a day. I believe anything that might interfere with lunch would be suspect and clubs of any kind are better suited to a dedicated extracurricular time or after school. I know doing this presents other issues but they seems less impactful than loosing lunch time. Besides, children often already receive an abundance of entertainment time, even during school hours (another topic altogether), which is what games of this nature mostly are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to detract from your very good points, but I would note that :

- games help kids socialize, which is probably the best asset such an activity can bring
- it's probably once a week at the most, so I don't think it would have such an impact

Still I would be curious if that activity limits lunch options of the participating kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cruickshank
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTREE wrote:
Well, to be the heavy here... I can't get behind a school game group during lunch period. On the face of it, getting kids together for social interaction during lunch is a positive goal, but there are dozens of studies in the US, UK and Canada, just in the last decade, that have linked academic performance, overall health, and better lifelong eating choices to school lunches. Kids who get less lunch time make poorer eating choices. For some children the school lunch is the only consistent meal they receive and often is the only nutritionally balanced meal they will get in a day. I believe anything that might interfere with lunch would be suspect and clubs of any kind are better suited to a dedicated extracurricular time or after school. I know doing this presents other issues but they seems less impactful than loosing lunch time. Besides, children often already receive an abundance of entertainment time, even during school hours (another topic altogether), which is what games of this nature mostly are.

Always good to have another point of view.

The kids have their lunch first so there's no loss of time to eat. What they give up is time on the playground once a week. I notice that the group includes a number of children that have trouble making friends easily. The playground can be a rather difficult place for such children as it's an unstructured activity and some kids prefer something more structured. I've seen some of the quiet/reserved children really connect with others in a way that they might not otherwise do.

All in all, I think this is a positive thing for them. I do appreciate your post making me think about it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Daniels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
james25182 wrote:
theTREE wrote:

Always good to have another point of view.

The kids have their lunch first so there's no loss of time to eat. What they give up is time on the playground once a week. I notice that the group includes a number of children that have trouble making friends easily. The playground can be a rather difficult place for such children as it's an unstructured activity and some kids prefer something more structured. I've seen some of the quiet/reserved children really connect with others in a way that they might not otherwise do.

All in all, I think this is a positive thing for them. I do appreciate your post making me think about it though!

Civil discourse with varying opinions on the internet? Im not going to lie...I am currently filled with hope for humanity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Notyou
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
james25182 wrote:
James, thank you for the clarification. A club done during actual lunch time raises a mass of concerns over diet, inequality and social pressures; Done this way it sounds like something I could definitely get behind.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.